Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:34 am

Adria Richards and the Donglegate.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:35 am

Soo.. they make Ooondasta spawn like candy, and nerf his health by 50%.

That didn't last long.

and....

Blizz releases an online TCG?.. erm... ok.. whatever.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Winkle » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:50 am

Klaudandus wrote:Adria Richards and the Donglegate.

Quite ridiculous, kind of glad she lost her job.
Winkle

Postby Teranoid » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:14 am

halabar wrote:Soo.. they make Ooondasta spawn like candy, and nerf his health by 50%.

That didn't last long.

and....

So much for "we're ready for the tears"
Teranoid

Postby halabar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:21 am

Teranoid wrote:
halabar wrote:Soo.. they make Ooondasta spawn like candy, and nerf his health by 50%.

That didn't last long.

and....

I think it was more the "oh.. players are just throwing thousands of bodies at him..."

They still aren't addressing the greatest amount of tears, which was the tears from the small servers.

One amusing dribble of tears on the forum was "Waaaah!! I get too much lag when I fight him, why did you add something that requires so many players... Waaah!!"

halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:22 am

Teranoid wrote:

That didn't last long.

and....

Maybe they should not have put nalak behind the daily progress gates and have oodansta be the gated one since it was supposed to be harder
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fetzie » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:48 am

Oondasta 872M down to 436M.

I know people like gambling, but isn't this a bit risky?

Bidding 100k on bracers that you don't even know what stats are on? Those bracers can roll dodge, parry, mastery, hit, expertise, crit, mastery or haste.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Flex » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:20 am

Fetzie wrote:Oondasta 872M down to 436M.

Lead Encounter Designer Ion "Watcher" Hazzikostas noticed this thread last night and has these thoughts to share:

Yes, Oondasta's maximum health has been reduced by 50%. The design intent behind this boss was for the primary audience to be guilds rather than pickup groups. That is why we placed Oondasta on a relatively remote island, surrounded by powerful elite dinosaurs that make solo travel in the area a dicey proposition. It's why he has mechanics that will outright kill you without the coordinated use of cooldowns, and careful positioning. It's a very different philosophy than our approach to designing bosses like Sha of Anger or Nalak. Of course, things didn't exactly play out as we envisioned -- as we all know, it was possible to overwhelm Oondasta with sheer numbers. While not intended, that was not entirely negative. There have been some pretty epic experiences on the Isle of Giants in the last couple of weeks. There's something to be said for the sight of a hundred spells and missiles flying through the air at a huge dinosaur.

We could have made a number of changes that would have made this approach entirely impossible: Consider a version of Oondasta with a Spiritfire Beam that could hop to 99 targets instead of 20, and a Doomwalker-style debuff that prevented players who had died during the encounter from re-engaging. Definitely not zergable. But that doesn't mean that people would stop trying, and the result would likely be a boss that no one could kill, and a frustrating experience for most participants. So we didn't do that.

Ultimately, while our server hardware is much, much more powerful than what we had in place during the days of events like the Opening of Ahn'Qiraj years ago, it still has limits. And what we have increasingly been observing was players massing around Oondasta in such great numbers that it brought servers to their knees. As word spreads that Oondasta has spawned, more and more people flock to the Isle of Giants for a piece of the action. Many people have been in Oondasta fights where spells took multiple seconds to cast, and the dinosaur perhaps stopped using its abilities entirely. Players with anything but the very best computers saw nothing but a slideshow. And in extreme cases, the entire continent of Pandaria crashed. That simply isn't an acceptable experience for our players, and so we reduced Oondasta's health, so that smaller groups are more likely to be successful, and he'll likely die before so many players arrive that it degrades the experience for everyone present. If server capacity were limitless, we wouldn't have made any of these changes, but alas that is not the case.

Oondasta clearly did not deliver on our original expectations. We'll apply the lessons learned from this experience to any future world bosses we add.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Threck » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:33 am

Flex wrote:

Lead Encounter Designer Ion "Watcher" Hazzikostas noticed this thread last night and has these thoughts to share:

Yes, Oondasta's maximum health has been reduced by 50%. The design intent behind this boss was for the primary audience to be guilds rather than pickup groups. That is why we placed Oondasta on a relatively remote island, surrounded by powerful elite dinosaurs that make solo travel in the area a dicey proposition. It's why he has mechanics that will outright kill you without the coordinated use of cooldowns, and careful positioning. It's a very different philosophy than our approach to designing bosses like Sha of Anger or Nalak. Of course, things didn't exactly play out as we envisioned -- as we all know, it was possible to overwhelm Oondasta with sheer numbers. While not intended, that was not entirely negative. There have been some pretty epic experiences on the Isle of Giants in the last couple of weeks. There's something to be said for the sight of a hundred spells and missiles flying through the air at a huge dinosaur.

We could have made a number of changes that would have made this approach entirely impossible: Consider a version of Oondasta with a Spiritfire Beam that could hop to 99 targets instead of 20, and a Doomwalker-style debuff that prevented players who had died during the encounter from re-engaging. Definitely not zergable. But that doesn't mean that people would stop trying, and the result would likely be a boss that no one could kill, and a frustrating experience for most participants. So we didn't do that.

Ultimately, while our server hardware is much, much more powerful than what we had in place during the days of events like the Opening of Ahn'Qiraj years ago, it still has limits. And what we have increasingly been observing was players massing around Oondasta in such great numbers that it brought servers to their knees. As word spreads that Oondasta has spawned, more and more people flock to the Isle of Giants for a piece of the action. Many people have been in Oondasta fights where spells took multiple seconds to cast, and the dinosaur perhaps stopped using its abilities entirely. Players with anything but the very best computers saw nothing but a slideshow. And in extreme cases, the entire continent of Pandaria crashed. That simply isn't an acceptable experience for our players, and so we reduced Oondasta's health, so that smaller groups are more likely to be successful, and he'll likely die before so many players arrive that it degrades the experience for everyone present. If server capacity were limitless, we wouldn't have made any of these changes, but alas that is not the case.

Oondasta clearly did not deliver on our original expectations. We'll apply the lessons learned from this experience to any future world bosses we add.

They were not... prepared.
Threck

Postby halabar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:35 am

I know people like gambling, but isn't this a bit risky?

Bidding 100k on bracers that you don't even know what stats are on? Those bracers can roll dodge, parry, mastery, hit, expertise, crit, mastery or haste.

I'd never go over 40k on an item that wasn't a weapon anyway.

halabar

Postby Shoju » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:32 pm

The twitter war that has broken out between Comic Book Men's Bryan, Mike, and Ming, and some chick who has no idea how stupid she is.

She bashed the art of one of the guys who landed a deal for a comic, calling it terrible, and then went on to say things like:

(this coming after one of the guys shut her down)
Gee, it's almost like the spineless congregate together and hide behind the internet to make themselves formidable. BY JOVE, I CRACKED IT.

Wait... isn't that what she did?

And then, after talking about how they rode Kevin Smith's Coattails, she admits to riding her own.
nothing to be jealous of, sugar booger! I'm married to a professional artist who lands gigs based on real talent.

Man this girl is dumb.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:54 pm

http://youtu.be/G6d1A2row6I

All of my want, Woo-oo!
---
Klaudandus

Postby bldavis » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:00 pm

omg so many memories from that show...

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Flex » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Forget Duck Tales, give me Tailspin!
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby halabar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:04 pm

Flex wrote:Forget Duck Tales, give me Tailspin!

Animaniacs.

halabar

PreviousNext

Return to General