Post Your Amusements!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Lieris » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:46 pm

Shoju wrote:
Though... Am I the only one who thinks it's a little creepy that all 3 Crowder sons "love" her? I mean.... She SHOT THEIR BROTHER, and then Boyd and her... And then Johnny professes his love? WTF kind of family dynamic is that?


Johnny is the cousin but yeah, at least Ava only ever needed to change her name once. ;)

Everyone knows the best couple though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQTj-OyCFUY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlhIn34Cp0Q

<3 !
Lieris
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1521
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:49 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Shoju » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:29 pm

those videos.... uh.... wow... The Call me maybe was creepy.

I keep forgetting that Johnny is cousin, not brother. He's the son that Bo always wanted I think was the line.

Boyd is far and away my favorite character, I think that Givens is cool and all, but Boyd just seems to have a little more depth to him. He makes for a great anti-hero at times.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Lieris » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:10 pm

I grin from ear to ear whenever Boyd and Raylan have a scene together, the rapport they have is just so entertaining! Despite them being on opposite sides you end up cheering for both of them which is a fantastic dynamic. I am so glad that they didn't kill off Boyd after the pilot like in the book; it's soooo good to see Walton Goggins in another big series after The Shield but while Shane was a bit of an idiot, Boyd is a criminal genius who people under-estimate at their peril. :)
Lieris
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1521
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:49 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Shoju » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:09 pm

Lieris wrote:I grin from ear to ear whenever Boyd and Raylan have a scene together, the rapport they have is just so entertaining! Despite them being on opposite sides you end up cheering for both of them which is a fantastic dynamic. I am so glad that they didn't kill off Boyd after the pilot like in the book; it's soooo good to see Walton Goggins in another big series after The Shield but while Shane was a bit of an idiot, Boyd is a criminal genius who people under-estimate at their peril. :)


Completely agree. Love Goggins, and the rapport is great. Olyphant has really come into his own in Justified.

When he said he wanted them to get him a Dairy Queen Franchise, I just about lost it.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Newsom » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:29 pm

I bought the new SimCity yesterday, and today EA wanted to give me a free game due to the launch problems a week ago. Funny thing is I haven't had any issues AT ALL since I waited before buying. Suckers.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
User avatar
Newsom
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:34 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby bldavis » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:51 am

enjoy your free game?
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 6111
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:23 am

Newsom wrote:I bought the new SimCity yesterday, and today EA wanted to give me a free game due to the launch problems a week ago. Funny thing is I haven't had any issues AT ALL since I waited before buying. Suckers.

Everyone who buys SimCity until March 26th gets a free game. They're using it to generate new sales despite the bad publicity.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Nooska » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:28 am

What games are on offer? could be a good reason to pick it up since I was considering it previously anyway.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
User avatar
Nooska
 
Posts: 1553
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:55 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby lythac » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:40 am

Nooska wrote:What games are on offer? could be a good reason to pick it up since I was considering it previously anyway.

EA - Get your free game from SimCity wrote:Which games are available?
Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition)
Bejeweled 3
Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition)
Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition)
MOHW (Standard Edition)
NFS Most Wanted (Standard Edition)
Plants vs. Zombies
SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
User avatar
lythac
Moderator
 
Posts: 2073
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:10 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:53 am

I'm wavering between giving it a go and refusing on principle. Don't particularly want to support aways-on DRM.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:30 am

*watches the new Star Trek trailer*


Brb...gotta go change pants.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9378
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Newsom » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:27 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:I'm wavering between giving it a go and refusing on principle. Don't particularly want to support aways-on DRM.


Same, it took me a week before I gave in (happy I waited due to launch issues)... For some reason I started watching streams of it and it seemed so fun I couldn't resist.


Klaudandus wrote:*watches the new Star Trek trailer*


Brb...gotta go change pants.


Indeed. Spock is hawt.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
User avatar
Newsom
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:34 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Andurin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:28 am

Sim City has been quite an amusement so far. Picked it up last saturday, just 5 minutes after the new shipment came in, and it turned out to be a limited edition (Tatatataaa! Maxisman! (most annoying thing in the game so far...) ). Didnt have any real problems while playing, only that the west-europe servers where full. Managed to get Battlefield 3 out of it, and playing on west-european servers now.

Only thing I miss really is a good way to find regions with spots available :p Have to load 10 - 15 more results on the list before I can find a free spot >.< So, anyone wanna try and create a MT region?
Andurin
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:45 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Winkle » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:49 am

Newsom wrote:I bought the new SimCity yesterday, and today EA wanted to give me a free game due to the launch problems a week ago. Funny thing is I haven't had any issues AT ALL since I waited before buying. Suckers.


Haha Newsom i did exactly the same. In fact i was on the fence about buying it, then discovered if i bought it i'd get a free game thrown in and so decided to take the plunge.

It is a fun game but unfortunately i think many will end up finding it lacking, it alludes to offering so much but it turns out the systems behind how the cities operate are incredibly simple and thus the challenge is quickly eradicated once you understand said systems.

Not sure whether to get Mass Effect 3 or Dead Space 3 as my freebie.
Winkle
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Newsom » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:10 am

If they made it so cities don't stay suspended in time while you're in another one I could get behind the limited size - it's actually kind of interesting creating multiple cities that work together. But right now it doesn't really work unless you play multiplayer... I hope they eventually cave and just give us larger cities.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
User avatar
Newsom
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:34 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:34 am

Adria Richards and the Donglegate.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9378
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby halabar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:35 am

Soo.. they make Ooondasta spawn like candy, and nerf his health by 50%.

That didn't last long.


and....

Blizz releases an online TCG?.. erm... ok.. whatever.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 6557
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Winkle » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:50 am

Klaudandus wrote:Adria Richards and the Donglegate.


Quite ridiculous, kind of glad she lost her job.
Winkle
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Teranoid » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:14 am

halabar wrote:Soo.. they make Ooondasta spawn like candy, and nerf his health by 50%.

That didn't last long.


and....

Blizz releases an online TCG?.. erm... ok.. whatever.



So much for "we're ready for the tears"
User avatar
Teranoid
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby halabar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:21 am

Teranoid wrote:
halabar wrote:Soo.. they make Ooondasta spawn like candy, and nerf his health by 50%.

That didn't last long.


and....

Blizz releases an online TCG?.. erm... ok.. whatever.



So much for "we're ready for the tears"


I think it was more the "oh.. players are just throwing thousands of bodies at him..."

They still aren't addressing the greatest amount of tears, which was the tears from the small servers.

One amusing dribble of tears on the forum was "Waaaah!! I get too much lag when I fight him, why did you add something that requires so many players... Waaah!!"
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 6557
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:22 am

Teranoid wrote:
halabar wrote:Soo.. they make Ooondasta spawn like candy, and nerf his health by 50%.

That didn't last long.


and....

Blizz releases an online TCG?.. erm... ok.. whatever.



So much for "we're ready for the tears"


Maybe they should not have put nalak behind the daily progress gates and have oodansta be the gated one since it was supposed to be harder
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9378
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Fetzie » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:48 am

Oondasta 872M down to 436M.


I know people like gambling, but isn't this a bit risky?


Image

Bidding 100k on bracers that you don't even know what stats are on? Those bracers can roll dodge, parry, mastery, hit, expertise, crit, mastery or haste.
Fetzie | Protection/Holy Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Former Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2028
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Flex » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:20 am

Fetzie wrote:Oondasta 872M down to 436M.


Lead Encounter Designer Ion "Watcher" Hazzikostas noticed this thread last night and has these thoughts to share:

Yes, Oondasta's maximum health has been reduced by 50%. The design intent behind this boss was for the primary audience to be guilds rather than pickup groups. That is why we placed Oondasta on a relatively remote island, surrounded by powerful elite dinosaurs that make solo travel in the area a dicey proposition. It's why he has mechanics that will outright kill you without the coordinated use of cooldowns, and careful positioning. It's a very different philosophy than our approach to designing bosses like Sha of Anger or Nalak. Of course, things didn't exactly play out as we envisioned -- as we all know, it was possible to overwhelm Oondasta with sheer numbers. While not intended, that was not entirely negative. There have been some pretty epic experiences on the Isle of Giants in the last couple of weeks. There's something to be said for the sight of a hundred spells and missiles flying through the air at a huge dinosaur.

We could have made a number of changes that would have made this approach entirely impossible: Consider a version of Oondasta with a Spiritfire Beam that could hop to 99 targets instead of 20, and a Doomwalker-style debuff that prevented players who had died during the encounter from re-engaging. Definitely not zergable. But that doesn't mean that people would stop trying, and the result would likely be a boss that no one could kill, and a frustrating experience for most participants. So we didn't do that.

Ultimately, while our server hardware is much, much more powerful than what we had in place during the days of events like the Opening of Ahn'Qiraj years ago, it still has limits. And what we have increasingly been observing was players massing around Oondasta in such great numbers that it brought servers to their knees. As word spreads that Oondasta has spawned, more and more people flock to the Isle of Giants for a piece of the action. Many people have been in Oondasta fights where spells took multiple seconds to cast, and the dinosaur perhaps stopped using its abilities entirely. Players with anything but the very best computers saw nothing but a slideshow. And in extreme cases, the entire continent of Pandaria crashed. That simply isn't an acceptable experience for our players, and so we reduced Oondasta's health, so that smaller groups are more likely to be successful, and he'll likely die before so many players arrive that it degrades the experience for everyone present. If server capacity were limitless, we wouldn't have made any of these changes, but alas that is not the case.

Oondasta clearly did not deliver on our original expectations. We'll apply the lessons learned from this experience to any future world bosses we add.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Threck » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:33 am

Flex wrote:
Fetzie wrote:Oondasta 872M down to 436M.


Lead Encounter Designer Ion "Watcher" Hazzikostas noticed this thread last night and has these thoughts to share:

Yes, Oondasta's maximum health has been reduced by 50%. The design intent behind this boss was for the primary audience to be guilds rather than pickup groups. That is why we placed Oondasta on a relatively remote island, surrounded by powerful elite dinosaurs that make solo travel in the area a dicey proposition. It's why he has mechanics that will outright kill you without the coordinated use of cooldowns, and careful positioning. It's a very different philosophy than our approach to designing bosses like Sha of Anger or Nalak. Of course, things didn't exactly play out as we envisioned -- as we all know, it was possible to overwhelm Oondasta with sheer numbers. While not intended, that was not entirely negative. There have been some pretty epic experiences on the Isle of Giants in the last couple of weeks. There's something to be said for the sight of a hundred spells and missiles flying through the air at a huge dinosaur.

We could have made a number of changes that would have made this approach entirely impossible: Consider a version of Oondasta with a Spiritfire Beam that could hop to 99 targets instead of 20, and a Doomwalker-style debuff that prevented players who had died during the encounter from re-engaging. Definitely not zergable. But that doesn't mean that people would stop trying, and the result would likely be a boss that no one could kill, and a frustrating experience for most participants. So we didn't do that.

Ultimately, while our server hardware is much, much more powerful than what we had in place during the days of events like the Opening of Ahn'Qiraj years ago, it still has limits. And what we have increasingly been observing was players massing around Oondasta in such great numbers that it brought servers to their knees. As word spreads that Oondasta has spawned, more and more people flock to the Isle of Giants for a piece of the action. Many people have been in Oondasta fights where spells took multiple seconds to cast, and the dinosaur perhaps stopped using its abilities entirely. Players with anything but the very best computers saw nothing but a slideshow. And in extreme cases, the entire continent of Pandaria crashed. That simply isn't an acceptable experience for our players, and so we reduced Oondasta's health, so that smaller groups are more likely to be successful, and he'll likely die before so many players arrive that it degrades the experience for everyone present. If server capacity were limitless, we wouldn't have made any of these changes, but alas that is not the case.

Oondasta clearly did not deliver on our original expectations. We'll apply the lessons learned from this experience to any future world bosses we add.


They were not... prepared.
Threck
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:54 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby halabar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:35 am

Fetzie wrote:Oondasta 872M down to 436M.


I know people like gambling, but isn't this a bit risky?


Image

Bidding 100k on bracers that you don't even know what stats are on? Those bracers can roll dodge, parry, mastery, hit, expertise, crit, mastery or haste.


I'd never go over 40k on an item that wasn't a weapon anyway.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 6557
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest