Post Your Amusements!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:20 pm

My alt got the 4 pc bonus before my main... slightly amused about it.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9349
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Nooska » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:36 am

Zalaria wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:I feel bad for our australian friends
http://www.news.com.au/national/tea-par ... 6537489379


"[...] also claims gay marriage could lead to Muslim polygamy."

That makes my head hurt.


Yes.. because muslim polygamy (which stems from sharia and traditions as old as Abraham) is very tolerant of gay marriages..?
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
User avatar
Nooska
 
Posts: 1517
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:55 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Amirya » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:42 pm

Glyph of Confession on a newly returned player who doesn't know what it does, and couldn't figure out why she kept confessing to things that were making us give her a hard time.

That was really fun, though lol
Image

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2951
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:59 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby bldavis » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:30 am

i couldnt stop laughing at that...
GUYS WTF I DIDNT DO ANYTHING!

WHAT THE HELL!

OMG WHAT IS GOING ON!

all while someone was giving her shit about her "confessions"
though i am glad you finally broke down and told her :lol:
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 6111
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:49 am

Just got my corporate laptop upgraded to 2 gigs of ram. :lol:
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8400
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Sagara » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:53 am

Wow. I remember installing 2 Gigs of Ram on laptops back in 2009.

Well, to be honest, there are still ~ 1/3 of our desktops running on 512 megas.

I think I haven't facepalmed enough at my boss today.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
User avatar
Sagara
 
Posts: 3272
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:04 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:04 am

Sagara wrote:Wow. I remember installing 2 Gigs of Ram on laptops back in 2009.

Well, to be honest, there are still ~ 1/3 of our desktops running on 512 megas.

I think I haven't facepalmed enough at my boss today.

I think I had 1.5 before. And my co-worker beside me only had 1 gig. Can be kind of painful when you've got about 8-10 windows open.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8400
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby halabar » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:25 am

So.. Instagram...

Working as only a subsidiary of Facebook (or perhaps Netflix) could, they first rolled out what they characterized as a simplification of their ToS, but of course allowed themselves vast new powers, and then pulled back when everyone revolted, except they really didn't pull back. Based on their new wording, which still isn't final, you still could see your images in ads, without compensation.

The best course seems to be to go back to Flickr if you really are a photographer, or start using something like Pick or Twitter if you are just sharing photos of your breakfast...

Will be interesting and amusing to see how it plays out.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 6557
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Nooska » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:41 am

What I don't get, is how these big companies can get this stuff through their legal departments, when they operate internationally.
ToS cannot in most european law I've read (including danish) in anyway take away your rights to material you hold the copyright to, and you are the only one that is allowed to earn money, unless specifically* sold to others.

Unless such a contract specifically exists, not only is all earnings from selling the use of your work forfeit to you, you are entitled to compensatory damages in a punitive amount. Doing it comercially and systemically is an aggrevating circumstance.

*Specifically meaning a specific contract describing the sold work, and which rights specifically are transferred and which aren't.

Yeah, I don't see how these companies get it through their legal departments - its lawsuits waiting to happen, and as soon as the first settlement/verdict hhits the news, everyone will want thier piece - meaning its a bankruptcy more than likely.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
User avatar
Nooska
 
Posts: 1517
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:55 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:51 am

A lady has a grievance against our dept, but always calls and bitches that her pc never works and that our techs never show up.

Maybe we would show up and offer service if we didnt have a grievance against the dept as a whole in the first place.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9349
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby benebarba » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:29 am

Nooska wrote:Yeah, I don't see how these companies get it through their legal departments - its lawsuits waiting to happen, and as soon as the first settlement/verdict hhits the news, everyone will want thier piece - meaning its a bankruptcy more than likely.


In the US, by and large, it's all down to time, money and fear: making any potential claimants afraid of the size of the of your legal warchest, and betting that they won't have the money or time to pursue it to its end.

In such civil cases, our legal and IP system is notoriously broken.
benebarba
 
Posts: 2222
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Nooska » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:42 am

Aye, in europe (at least denmark) you can't do that as much - ogh and there are national organisations that will take on the copyright holders claims if they feel it is a case where principles might be at stake.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
User avatar
Nooska
 
Posts: 1517
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:55 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Flex » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:46 am

Nooska wrote:What I don't get, is how these big companies can get this stuff through their legal departments, when they operate internationally.
ToS cannot in most european law I've read (including danish) in anyway take away your rights to material you hold the copyright to, and you are the only one that is allowed to earn money, unless specifically* sold to others.


ToS never really take away your rights, you're granting other people rights to use your stuff. Some ToS seem wonky on first glance, like all cloud storage services have a term about you granting them the right to duplicate and copy, which sounds bad until you realize that they mean they need to copy the file among their servers.

Here's a decent rundown of the new ToS and how they're actually more limited than the old ones: http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/18/3780 ... eally-mean
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby halabar » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:59 am

Nooska wrote:Aye, in europe (at least denmark) you can't do that as much - ogh and there are national organisations that will take on the copyright holders claims if they feel it is a case where principles might be at stake.


The organizations here that do that are terribly one-sided.. (i.e. the oxymoron of the ACLU).

What does work here is class-action lawsuits, but those are typically resolved in favor of the attorneys running them.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 6557
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby benebarba » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:00 pm

Flex wrote:
Nooska wrote:What I don't get, is how these big companies can get this stuff through their legal departments, when they operate internationally.
ToS cannot in most european law I've read (including danish) in anyway take away your rights to material you hold the copyright to, and you are the only one that is allowed to earn money, unless specifically* sold to others.


ToS never really take away your rights, you're granting other people rights to use your stuff. Some ToS seem wonky on first glance, like all cloud storage services have a term about you granting them the right to duplicate and copy, which sounds bad until you realize that they mean they need to copy the file among their servers.


Right, and there are a number of similar important clauses... I think most take issue with when that article is not longer used to cover necessary use due to infrastructure or technology, and instead result in 'we're gonna sell it to other parties too'.

I recall seeing something from some recent round of Facebook or Instagram TOS updates that said something like "we retain the rights until the user deletes the account, except when the content had been shared with others and they retain a copy" ... which *could* mean they never have to reliquish the granted rights since they can't really prove that a copy doesn't remain in someone's cache, or they specifically define the terms to exclude that type of copy.
benebarba
 
Posts: 2222
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Nooska » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:03 pm

In at least 4 european countries EULAs and TOS are null and void for legal contentions -which these companies should also have legal teams telling them.
Even if some terms are valid, unless the terms as a whole are valid, the whole thing is null and void, unless exceptions have been made for void terms.

In general, the legal side of it here is "if you put in stuff thats not legal, all your stuff is gone - caveat venditor - you are the one with the money and knowledge beforehand to know what should and shouldn't be said or agreed upon.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
User avatar
Nooska
 
Posts: 1517
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:55 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Nooska » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:04 pm

That alst one is a part of the system - if you share a photo, and I then share it, then it doesn't disappear from my timeline because you delete it.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
User avatar
Nooska
 
Posts: 1517
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:55 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Shoju » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:09 pm

halabar wrote:So.. Instagram...

Working as only a subsidiary of Facebook (or perhaps Netflix) could, they first rolled out what they characterized as a simplification of their ToS, but of course allowed themselves vast new powers, and then pulled back when everyone revolted, except they really didn't pull back. Based on their new wording, which still isn't final, you still could see your images in ads, without compensation.

The best course seems to be to go back to Flickr if you really are a photographer, or start using something like Pick or Twitter if you are just sharing photos of your breakfast...

Will be interesting and amusing to see how it plays out.


It's already played out. They backed down on the language.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575598 ... ur-photos/

They realized when they lost a substantial % of users and accounts in a 24 hour period. The revolt was quick, fast, and noticeable. I follow ~300 people on my "non personal" instagram account, and lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 people in the wake of the announcement. Professionals, journalists, artists. All gone.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby benebarba » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:09 pm

Nooska wrote:That alst one is a part of the system - if you share a photo, and I then share it, then it doesn't disappear from my timeline because you delete it.


Correct - which is its intended function (perhaps not all like it, but I can see it). However, legal wording is picky for a reason: a certain amount of vague wording *could* (I'm talking tin-foil hat here, but bear with me) allow for situations that the end-user may not have considered.

Really it's always been this way: simply asking you to say you understand a contract and then signing it means jack all about if you *actually understood it*... it's why contract law is a thing.
benebarba
 
Posts: 2222
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Flex » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:14 pm

benebarba wrote:'we're gonna sell it to other parties too'.


Instagram has no ability, and you grant them no right to, sell your pictures. What it does say is that your pictures may show up in the stream of a sponsored party, i.e. the New York Yankees sponsoring a page and showing many Instagram pictures of Yankee Stadium from many different users.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby benebarba » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:23 pm

Flex wrote:
benebarba wrote:'we're gonna sell it to other parties too'.


Instagram has no ability, and you grant them no right to, sell your pictures. What it does say is that your pictures may show up in the stream of a sponsored party, i.e. the New York Yankees sponsoring a page and showing many Instagram pictures of Yankee Stadium from many different users.

I think you took my words too literally.

I was merely speaking about the difference between necessary copying/sharing clauses due to the technology and the use of said clauses in allowing their use by other entities who are paying for the privelege.

Sponsored ads are paying for a service which includes the photos - though the photos, nor rights to them, are not being sold themselves. It is questionable if the sponsors care about the photos other than not having to pay a stock photo company in addition to whatever fees they pay for the ads.
benebarba
 
Posts: 2222
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Flex » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:31 pm

benebarba wrote:
Flex wrote:
benebarba wrote:'we're gonna sell it to other parties too'.


Instagram has no ability, and you grant them no right to, sell your pictures. What it does say is that your pictures may show up in the stream of a sponsored party, i.e. the New York Yankees sponsoring a page and showing many Instagram pictures of Yankee Stadium from many different users.

I think you took my words too literally.

I was merely speaking about the difference between necessary copying/sharing clauses due to the technology and the use of said clauses in allowing their use by other entities who are paying for the privelege.


But the big point is that this isn't a new clause, it is a clearer clause with more limits on what can be done with your content, specifically the removal of the modify clause.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby halabar » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:32 pm

Flex wrote:
benebarba wrote:'we're gonna sell it to other parties too'.


Instagram has no ability, and you grant them no right to, sell your pictures. What it does say is that your pictures may show up in the stream of a sponsored party, i.e. the New York Yankees sponsoring a page and showing many Instagram pictures of Yankee Stadium from many different users.


Not quite. The first incarnation of the new ToS certainly left a elephant-sized loophole that they could certainly sell your images. They may not have the mechanisms in place right now, but it certainly left that option open.

Remains to be seen what the next incarnation of the ToS says.

The scenario you describe is the likely one. However, there are problems with that. It would be easy for the Yankees to take the photos in that stream and display them on digital signage at the stadium or on other websites. So suddenly any image tagged 'yankees' or yankee stadium' or whatever the keywords are become part of their photo stream, on all their different media. What happens when the people in your photos object?

Or another example, some company sponsors the word "wedding" and suddenly the photos that all the wedding photographers post on Instagram to promote themselves suddenly show up in other company's advertisements in Instagram or other places. I don't think the couples involved with be too thrilled.

What Instagram is likely going to do is to chase anyone who's a commercial photographer in any sense back to Flickr. The "art" community doesn't like the changes either, but Flickr is to plain for them. Everyone else posting their cat and breakfast pictures won't care.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 6557
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Flex » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:37 pm

halabar wrote:Not quite. The first incarnation of the new ToS certainly left a elephant-sized loophole that they could certainly sell your images. They may not have the mechanisms in place right now, but it certainly left that option open.


Show me where that is, because I certainly don't see it.

It would be easy for the Yankees to take the photos in that stream and display them on digital signage at the stadium or on other websites.


Once again, that's not what the ToS allows.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby benebarba » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:50 pm

Flex wrote:
It would be easy for the Yankees to take the photos in that stream and display them on digital signage at the stadium or on other websites.


Once again, that's not what the ToS allows.


Yeah, I actually thought they were basically going to be akin to the facebook '<insert your friend here> likes <insert thingy here>' use of data: being served to other viewers and users of the site. The fact that it is an image attached to the text ad is the only new thing.

Could they display a webpage shot on the jumbotron? Probably... but I imagine that the companies involved would want them to pony up a bit for that privelege.


Certainly questions of user objections are valid: since it is unclear when/if your images will be used and what they will be used for. It's also entirely possible depending on how images are chosen that there could be ad purchaser complaints: what if I don't want that drunk college kid whizzing off the balcony as the banner image to my liquor ad?
benebarba
 
Posts: 2222
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, Skye1013 and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, Skye1013 and 1 guest