Post Your Amusements!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Arnock » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:24 pm

Skye1013 wrote:
Arnock wrote:It seems like, to me, Disney would either have to break 'canon' and just ignore the expanded universe, or just tell a story that's already been told.

Heresy!!! That never happens in movies/tv shows...

As you can see by the links, some are less fail than others.

I understand that there are a lot of movie/tv show adaptions and whatnot, but it just seems... off to me to make a movie based on a book, that was written as a companion to another movie, if that makes sense.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:42 pm

Arnock wrote:I understand that there are a lot of movie/tv show adaptions and whatnot, but it just seems... off to me to make a movie based on a book, that was written as a companion to another movie, if that makes sense.

Looks like that might not be an issue.
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a ... ovels.html
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Arnock » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:28 pm

That still leaves a bit of a question as to when it would be set. If it's going to star the characters of the original trilogy, there's not really much room in the existing timeline for them to fit another 3 movies in there.

It might work for them to make a series of films set in between the two trilogies, detailing the rise of both the empire and the rebel alliance.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Fetzie » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:46 pm

I thought I read that the movies would be set after Return of the Jedi.
Fetzie | Protection/Holy Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Former Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby bldavis » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:32 pm

Arnock wrote:That still leaves a bit of a question as to when it would be set. If it's going to star the characters of the original trilogy, there's not really much room in the existing timeline for them to fit another 3 movies in there.

It might work for them to make a series of films set in between the two trilogies, detailing the rise of both the empire and the rebel alliance.

you have a total of what..20 years to work with?

at the end of episode 3, luke and leha are being born and anakin is becoming vader
start of episode 4 luke is with his aunt and uncle, and leha is running from vader

which also brings up another thing..teh original 3 are episodes 4 5 and 6...
the new ones are 1 2 and 3

slight issue trying to name new movies between episode 3 and episode 4
what are they gonna be episode 3.3, 3.6 and 3.9?

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:07 pm

Pyrea wrote:I thought I read that the movies would be set after Return of the Jedi.

If this is the case... who's to say we aren't talking about a few hundred/thousand years later?

Though I am curious... where in the timeline of the Milky Way are these movies set? "A long time ago in a galaxy far away" suggests it was in our past, meaning with the new movies, they could even catch up to our current timeline...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:20 pm

maybe they should do a prequel instead -- a movie version of Kotor?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak (Retired)
Klaudandus - BE Protection/Retribution Paladin, Feathermoon (Active)
Klaudandus

Postby bldavis » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:37 pm

the founding of the Jedi order?
O.O
yoda as a padawan?!?!

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby benebarba » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:27 am

Wowcrendor's 'What's your Luckydo?':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... SgzkKxTgLk
benebarba

Postby Shoju » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:10 am

I'm really curious with what they plan to do with the 7, 8, and 9 stories. Star Wars has spawned countless books, telling the "story" of what has happened afterwards. The Thrawn Series is great. There are parts of Darksaber that are pretty cool, even if at times there are some real problems with it.

I've even read the "Supposed" Story Synopsis that has been floating the net forever about the original plan for that trilogy. It all seems really interesting, but I think that the biggest challenge to come from it, is going to be making sure that you nail a good timeline, and that you don't do something hokey like... "YAY! THE EMPEROR IS DEAD! NO MORE EMPIRE!"
Shoju

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:27 am

I would *love* if the Thrawn series were made into movies.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Teranoid » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:16 am

I would love to see one based off the Shadows of the Empire novel. Still to this day one of my favorite reads of all time.
Teranoid

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:35 am

Screw Star Wars, I want more firefly!
---
Klaudandus

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:38 am

And I want more Dark Angel, but let's be realistic here...
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:23 am

I would love to see a Vader: Jedi Hunter movie. I think showing Vader's "growth" as a Sith could go a long way to redeeming Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

for a lot of people.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:36 am

isn't all of the expanded universe non-canon anyway allowing them to do whatever the fuck they want and completely toss it aside?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby benebarba » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:41 am

Klaudandus wrote:Screw Star Wars, I want more firefly!

You know, I love the universe and the writing... but I'm actually one of the fans who think it's better it didn't continue.

My wife, being a big buffy fan, was similarly inclined. Mostly for the rate of shark-jumping in Buffy.

But Shepard Book is still the man.
Last edited by benebarba on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
benebarba

Postby halabar » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:42 am

Flex wrote:isn't all of the expanded universe non-canon anyway allowing them to do whatever the fuck they want and completely toss it aside?

Pretty much.

However, since special effects never carry the wow factor of the original movie, the storytelling is going to have to be a HELL of a lot better than it has been in any of the movies. (Watching the original movie, in the theatre, at age 11 or 12, is something I don't think will ever be close to being replicated).
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby benebarba » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:45 am

halabar wrote:
Flex wrote:isn't all of the expanded universe non-canon anyway allowing them to do whatever the fuck they want and completely toss it aside?

Pretty much.

However, since special effects never carry the wow factor of the original movie, the storytelling is going to have to be a HELL of a lot better than it has been in any of the movies. (Watching the original movie, in the theatre, at age 11 or 12, is something I don't think will ever be close to being replicated).

As someone who saw it first at the age of like 25 (yes, it took me that long to see it - it came out a year before I was born), I agree with this point completely. I lost a lot of geek cred with my older geek friends when I stated that I had seen better sci-fi movies.
benebarba

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:45 am

I think Shadows of the Empire was considered canon (don't flame me if I'm wrong, it's just been about 10 years since I was actively involved with the Star Wars universe), but I'm fairly certain the rest of it isn't. That being said, even if it IS non-canon, some of it was so well written that most extended universe fans considered it canon anyway. It's truer to the storyline than Episodes 1-3 ever were for me, personally.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby sahiel » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:39 am

Nikachelle wrote:I think Shadows of the Empire was considered canon (don't flame me if I'm wrong, it's just been about 10 years since I was actively involved with the Star Wars universe), but I'm fairly certain the rest of it isn't. That being said, even if it IS non-canon, some of it was so well written that most extended universe fans considered it canon anyway. It's truer to the storyline than Episodes 1-3 ever were for me, personally.

Technically it's all 'sort of' canon (Lucas had a pyramid of just how 'canon' stuff was with the movies at the top and novels, etc beneath them), it's simply that Lucas said he would never tell a story that had already been told, so whilst he really liked Heir to the Empire and so on he would never make it a movie.

Personally I'd love them to do Heir, who could direct the next Star Wars movie though? Weeeeell... there is a director who is super hot right now, has shown he can do great stuff the fans love, tell an awesome story, get fantastic performances from his acotors and has experience of sci-fi... Mr Whedon. Who also likes to bring along his previous actor friends in new roles... say hello to Nathan Fillion as Han Solo! (Hey, I can hope! :P)
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:00 am

He should audition by doing the "i'm han solo" dance
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:03 am

sahiel wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:I think Shadows of the Empire was considered canon (don't flame me if I'm wrong, it's just been about 10 years since I was actively involved with the Star Wars universe), but I'm fairly certain the rest of it isn't. That being said, even if it IS non-canon, some of it was so well written that most extended universe fans considered it canon anyway. It's truer to the storyline than Episodes 1-3 ever were for me, personally.

Technically it's all 'sort of' canon (Lucas had a pyramid of just how 'canon' stuff was with the movies at the top and novels, etc beneath them), it's simply that Lucas said he would never tell a story that had already been told, so whilst he really liked Heir to the Empire and so on he would never make it a movie.

Personally I'd love them to do Heir, who could direct the next Star Wars movie though? Weeeeell... there is a director who is super hot right now, has shown he can do great stuff the fans love, tell an awesome story, get fantastic performances from his acotors and has experience of sci-fi... Mr Whedon. Who also likes to bring along his previous actor friends in new roles... say hello to Nathan Fillion as Han Solo! (Hey, I can hope! :P)

Grant Imahara (Mythbusters) also said he thought Fillion would be a great Han Solo. I agree.

I'm thinking that Aaron Eckhart would make a fantastic Luke Skywalker if they set it in a time period where they would be of comparable age. As long as Channing Tatum is no where near it, I'm cool. I hate him. I can't stand his acting.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:20 am

Looks like Canada has started to import stupid from the US
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/ca ... 04544.html

Also, there's something strangely riveting about a bunch of trucks getting "scalped" by a bridge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 0MCxSFgrnc
---
Klaudandus

Postby Amirya » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:03 am

The only issue I'd have with Fillion being Han Solo is that I'd be more likely to call him Mal Solo. The two characters, to me, seem pretty close (rogue smuggler who goes in guns blazing?).

Granted, I liked Serenity and despised Firefly, so...

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General