Post Your Amusements!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:43 pm

halabar wrote:
Shoju wrote:All I'm hearing is

ZOMG MY KIDS MIGHT LEARN ABOUT SOMETHING OTHER THAN MY INCREDIBLY NARROW PERSPECTIVE ABOUT THINGS OMG WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS? WHY CAN'T MY KIDS JUST BE FORCE FED WHAT I WANT THEM TO KNOW!?

Sorry, I don't see what the big deal is. The article states that they have taken as much of the religion out of it as possible, and it's being used as a form of being active.

WTF?

So, if I have children, you as a school adminstrator can decide that I'm being narrow-minded and teach my kids what you feel is appropriate, including religions other than my own? FU

So it's OK for an atheist to sue about the pledge and "In God we Trust", but it's not ok for someone to be against a exercise system that a core part of Hindu meditation?

I guess you didn't read, or are holding on to something where you don't believe, that they removed most of the religious parts from the class. Are you going to hold them out of history classes too? Because those teach your children about other religions too.

I'm definitely not going to jump to conclusions and say "Well, I know that they said that they removed the religious aspects of it and are using it purely as a form of exercise, but I know that they are teaching my children to be secret HINDU AGENTS IN MY HOME."

There are alternatives to you sending your kids to a school where they might possibly learn something other than your own religious beliefs. You could always home school them, or send them to a Private Religiously affiliated school. Then, you can ensure that they don't learn about anything other than what you want, they don't have to be taught evolution, and you can have more control over how their thoughts and ideas are shaped.

I just don't get why in the world people would be bothered by a Yoga class. The parents are legally allowed to observe the class. They can't tell you "no". The parents could see if they are really being brainwashed into "Secret Hindus" before being unhappy because OMG teh skool wantz dem to be moor activ, bcuz obeesutee is killun da kideez

I would be excited if they brought a yoga class to my kids school. It would give them something interesting to learn about, and from the sounds of this class it isn't mandatory. That's great. Kids should be given every chance to learn about the world, and the people, and the cultures that are a part of it.

halabar wrote:The difference is what you are focusing on. A higher power, your inner space, your energy center, what you just had for lunch.

Like I said, having gone through this in my college course, it was clear that while it was supposed to be religious-neutral, the instructor still has to give instructions on what to focus on. For yoga, it's inner-energy-chi-etc.

The core problem is that a 10 or 12 year old kid may not realize what the difference is from what he's taught at home.

Yes. Yoga is very inner focused. It is about unlocking "something" inside yourself.

If you don't want your kids to learn about something that is different than what they are being taught at home, I reiterate my point. Home School them, or send them to a private school. Otherwise? They should learn everything that there is to know out there.
Shoju

Postby halabar » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:50 pm

Shoju wrote:I guess you didn't read, or are holding on to something where you don't believe, that they removed most of the religious parts from the class. Are you going to hold them out of history classes too? Because those teach your children about other religions too.

If you don't want your kids to learn about something that is different than what they are being taught at home, I reiterate my point. Home School them, or send them to a private school. Otherwise? They should learn everything that there is to know out there.

And I guess you didn't read the part about what the core of yoga is. You can't really remove the religion without replacing it with something else. Most of the yoga moves don't make sense without the meditation part. If all they are doing are teaching the stretching moves, then it's just low-impact pilaties (sp?) and it's not an issue, but since it's funded by an outside group, I doubt that.

Also, there's a difference between learning ABOUT another religion, and PARTICIPATING in some of it's principles. Yoga is not the same as history class.

So what you are really saying is that after yoga, we should send all those kids to catechism? and then for some LDS teaching, since that's big in San Diego as well?

Actually, the best equivalent would be to teach the kids to use rosary beads as a meditation technique.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby bldavis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:58 pm

so when i had a class on tai-chi i was being brainwashed into eastern beliefs? :roll:

i agree with the history class comment
they teach you about other religions as well, maybe we should ban them too!

just for clarification, seminary for lds kids (mormons) is like a bible study group basically

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:23 pm

halabar wrote:And I guess you didn't read the part about what the core of yoga is. You can't really remove the religion without replacing it with something else. Most of the yoga moves don't make sense without the meditation part. If all they are doing are teaching the stretching moves, then it's just low-impact pilaties (sp?) and it's not an issue, but since it's funded by an outside group, I doubt that.

Also, there's a difference between learning ABOUT another religion, and PARTICIPATING in some of it's principles. Yoga is not the same as history class.

So what you are really saying is that after yoga, we should send all those kids to catechism? and then for some LDS teaching, since that's big in San Diego as well?

Actually, the best equivalent would be to teach the kids to use rosary beads as a meditation technique.

I'm pretty familiar with Yoga, thanks, I understand it, and I'm pretty sure that If you've only "observed it in college", I'm probably a little more versed than you about it.

Yes. Doubt it. Please. Because it's all some giant conspiracy aimed at removing the Christian "God" from life, and trampling all over your life, while forcing your children to become a part of some other religion. :o

Participating in some of it's principles? That's your fear?! Well then, tell me Mr. Halabar, do you let your kids go Trick or Treating? Do you let them celebrate a "traiditional" Christmas, with a Christmas Tree, and Santa Claus? Because really, if you are going to start playing the "Participating Card", your life better be devoid of costumes, and Halloween, and Christmas Trees, and Santa Claus, and I could go on and on, but I think that those examples are enough.

Seriously. singling out a Yoga Class that was designed to remove the religious element, and geared for kids because you are afraid that it is going to teach them something bad, is the same type of bullshit rhetoric I heard as a kid.

"Playing Dungeons and Dragons is going to make you a Devil Worshiper! And Send you to HELL! And the DEVIL is going to EAT YOUR SOUL!"
"Listening to Rock and Roll means that you are a Devil Worshiper!"
"Participating in Yoga will make you a Hindu!"
Shoju

Postby bldavis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:35 pm

i love seeing ppl claim christmas (in the middle of winter for the northern hemisphere) is celebrating the birth of jesus, even though in the bible it is stated he was born when the shepards are dealing with lambs...and lambs are born in april/may >.>

if you truly want to not have your kids exposed to any other religion well lets see
no halloween (based mostly on wiccan beliefs as well as old druidic traditions of Samhain), and no christmas (feast/festival of saturn)
at least halloween has a christian component with all hallows day

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby halabar » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Yes, yes, I'm the crazy paranoid one.. I should be open to everything... whatever.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby bldavis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:08 pm

halabar wrote:Yes, yes, I'm the crazy paranoid one.. I should be open to everything... whatever.

maybe not everything....but freaking out cause your kids might learn a little bit about another culture is a bit much
(and no that wasnt at you hal, just a statement)

bldavis

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:28 pm

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Levantine » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:33 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Image

Levantine

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:38 pm

Would it be the same if it was Tai-chi? Although they would prolly claim they're trying to indoctrinate their kids in communist ideals
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby degre » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:40 pm

On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien | Sousuke
degre

Postby Amirya » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:22 pm

bldavis wrote:no halloween (based mostly on wiccan beliefs as well as old druidic traditions of Samhain), and no christmas (feast/festival of saturn)
at least halloween has a christian component with all hallows day

Easter - Ostara
May Day - Beltane
Christmas - Yule

to be quite technical re Wicca. The others are much more minor, in the grand scheme of religion comparison.

However, now I have to ask:
1) Does everything have to be an anti-<insert faith of choice here> conspiracy?
2) If the yogic meditation technique suggested focusing on the <insert deity of choice here> that fills the very soul/body/chakras, would there still Be An Issue?
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:40 pm

the way i look at it is you have your beliefs, i have mine
if you ask, i will tell you about mine
i wont force them on you, you dont force yours on me

but a minor thing like focusing on chi isnt forcing a religion on someone, as there is a huge step between using focus and control for fitness and believing reincarnation and 6 armed gods of war (or death or w/e they are..sorry any hindus, no disrespect intended)

bldavis

Postby masterpoobaa » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:52 pm

lol.
Americans and Religion.
Really funny from down here in Australia.

According to statistics some 2/3 of Australians hold some sort of religious affiliation,
But most would be non practicing.

I think the Australian standard is "Yeah there is some sorta god, yet get married in a church, funeral in a church... rest of the time we don't bother about it.

Our politicians don't spend much (if any) time making speeches about thier religiousness.
They are too busy telling us lies to get elected/re-elected. :D
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:50 pm

halabar wrote:If all they are doing are teaching the stretching moves, then it's just low-impact pilaties (sp?) and it's not an issue, but since it's funded by an outside group, I doubt that.

Unfortunately, I'm limited in the research I can conduct at work, but has there been any suggestion that it isn't pilates with a yoga name? Everything I've been able to find says the religion aspect has been removed. The director of the Jois Foundation (that is funding the classes) has stated that the group isn't religious and that the board of directors is made up of many faiths. Granted, he could be lying, but I don't have any reason to doubt it at the moment.

Additionally, the school board is selecting the instructors for it, not the foundation, so unless all of these teachers go and get brainwashed out of their own faiths, I can't really see it being "force fed" to the kids.

Yes, yoga did start out with a basis of Eastern religions, however, I'm willing to bet that once it became a widespread form of workout, most of those ties were removed. Sure you focus on your breathing (maybe some groups actually discuss "chi"), but where in that are you suddenly following another person's religion? If they replaced "chi" with "holy spirit" would it suddenly be ok?

I'll keep digging to see if I can find any sort of proof one way or the other, but I think the whole thing is being blown WAY out of proportion.

As some have mentioned, what about various forms of martial arts? How many of those started out religiously based and are now primarily used to teach discipline and get exercise?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General