Page 83 of 233

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:06 pm
by degre
Your friends are rich, oh nice, I am sure that your X friends are a mirror of the total wow population and that Blizzard is just making excuses to rip your money.

Sounds to me a bit like 'naxx was the best raid!', then worked out that people who had actually seen it were in the null-point range while that null-point believe to be the the typical wow-player.

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:14 pm
by lythac
Yeah. When Cata was reaching the end of its life and MoP was on the horizon the average WoW player still hadn't reached max level. So I can see the % of players that have over 50k being incredibly small. Also what is the population of WoW ATM, has the year contract ended yet? If it is still around 9 million players then for it to be 0.5% of players (which I would consider to be incredibly small) then 45,000 players have over 50k.

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:15 pm
by Klaudandus
I would say that most people in my guild are over 50k, and a handful of us are millionaires...

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:16 pm
by halabar
Well, the first point of their argument doesn't mean anything. It doesn't matter what part of the population has over 50k or not. What does matter is the second point, where they say they like the way it works, while leaving out that they created a loophole that nets them extra funds.

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:19 pm
by Klaudandus
People from earthen ring and area 52 using crz to zone into feathermoon to have a shot at Sha

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:20 pm
by halabar
Realized this past weekend that the BMAH isn't the biggest goldsink in Panda, the Tillers are. Considering the food-for-rep turn-ins plus the turn-ins for Ironpaw tokens, those are taking big chunks of gold in the way of farmed or purchased mats out of the game.

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:22 pm
by Nikachelle
degre wrote:Your friends are rich, oh nice, I am sure that your X friends are a mirror of the total wow population and that Blizzard is just making excuses to rip your money.

Sounds to me a bit like 'naxx was the best raid!', then worked out that people who had actually seen it were in the null-point range while that null-point believe to be the the typical wow-player.

Your own argument kind of goes right back in on itself. You have to look at the kinds of people who would want to server transfer. It's unlikely that someone who logs in irregularly to do a dungeon once a week (and as a result, probably doesn't have much gold) would be likely to server transfer. So the typical WoW player who is likely to server transfer is probably someone who has a lot more invested in their character(s) and will likely have more gold than the average player.

Edit: The other thing I'm wondering if they look at is by character? Or by account? Currently, all of my gold is spread out over 11 characters. I have well over 50k, but if you looked at each individual character, you'd assume I was pretty poor.

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:30 pm
by Klaudandus
I have at least 50k in each character. =p

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:32 pm
by Treck
halabar wrote:Realized this past weekend that the BMAH isn't the biggest goldsink in Panda, the Tillers are. Considering the food-for-rep turn-ins plus the turn-ins for Ironpaw tokens, those are taking big chunks of gold in the way of farmed or purchased mats out of the game.

Thats not really removing gold tho, its just redistributing it since you still have to get the mats, or grow them.

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:39 pm
by halabar
Treck wrote:
halabar wrote:Realized this past weekend that the BMAH isn't the biggest goldsink in Panda, the Tillers are. Considering the food-for-rep turn-ins plus the turn-ins for Ironpaw tokens, those are taking big chunks of gold in the way of farmed or purchased mats out of the game.

Thats not really removing gold tho, its just redistributing it since you still have to get the mats, or grow them.


But the mats/gold are being given to NPCs for rep or turned in to the NPC to replenish the pantry. Considering that the average meat is at least 10G each, and you turn in 20 for one token, and you need one for each feast, that's removing gold from the economy. Likewise, some of the rep food turnins are worth 200G each or more of cooking mats, so again, removing potential gold from the economy.

And consider the # of players with farms, all doing this.

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:43 pm
by Treck
Well, I agree cooking in this expansion is a lot more expencive than before, but I wouldnt say foodbuffs are a goldsink, even if it costs a lot of gold.
Thats like saying enchanting and gems are a goldsink, just not as expensive.

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:46 pm
by Klaudandus
And if you dont raid, you can make a lot of money rather than lose money on it.

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:02 pm
by Flex
halabar wrote:Considering that the average meat is at least 10G each, and you turn in 20 for one token, and you need one for each feast, that's removing gold from the economy.
...
so again, removing potential gold from the economy


Isn't it still redistribution though? If you sell your 20 stack of tiger meat instead of using them for the pantry you aren't creating gold, you're redistributing it amongst the players and removing some from the economy due to AH fees. Turning in the meat for the token doesn't remove any gold from the economy.

Gold sinks are methods of removing gold from the player economy. 18K special items for the engineering mounts are a goldsink, BMAH is a goldsink, Tillers doesn't seem to fit that definition. So for personal wealth not selling the items may be a "gold sink" when compared to trading them in for a token.

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:56 pm
by bldavis
dammit i hate when i agree with flex!

on a side note
Image

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:01 pm
by halabar
Flex wrote:...So for personal wealth not selling the items may be a "gold sink" when compared to trading them in for a token.


Ok, I'll buy that, but it certainly does have a monetary impact. :-)

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:32 pm
by Klaudandus
bldavis wrote:dammit i hate when i agree with flex!

on a side note
Image


It's missing the propeller

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:57 pm
by Klaudandus
This made me lol more than it shoulda

http://www.timesofisrael.com/your-shwarma-or-your-life/

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:40 pm
by Amirya

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:56 pm
by halabar


Gonna have to call you on that one. Yoga is certainly based on eastern religions.

Yoga (Sanskrit, Pāli: योग, /ˈjəʊɡə/, yoga) is a commonly known generic term for physical, mental, and spiritual disciplines which originated in ancient India.[1][2] Specifically, yoga is one of the six āstika ("orthodox") schools of Hindu philosophy. It is based on the Yoga Sūtras of Patañjali. Various traditions of yoga are found in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism.[3][4][5]


While there is certainly a "westernized" form of Yoga, much of the way it is taught still has it's roots in eastern religion basics.

When it was mandated that as part of college class, I observed, rather than participated, in the mandatory class, and sure enough, much of the discussion and practice was all around "centers of energy, chi, etc".

I also don't think it's possible to totally remove the eastern influences from it, without replacing it with something else. There are "christian" versions of yoga, and even mystic jewish versions, but when you are told to meditate, you usually have some framework to that.

So the parents should at least have the option to opt their kids out of it, and if enough of the parents feel that way, the school should find another option. The fact that the effort is funded by a yoga 'school' that's making waves in that community also gives pause.

So yeah, this doesn't fall into the normal insanity. The parents have a right to object.

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:11 pm
by Skye1013
Not sure this really qualifies as an amusement so much as a "dafuq?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/2 ... 02848.html

Edit: Sorry, apparently this is already being discussed in frustrations... /shrug

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:12 pm
by Amirya
I didn't say based, though, I said teaches.

Also, if the parents are objecting, then why don't they just pull the kids out instead suing over an extracurricular activity?

This is, to me, as dumb as if I decided to sue my high school over football encouraging head injuries.

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:18 pm
by Skye1013
halabar wrote:So the parents should at least have the option to opt their kids out of it, and if enough of the parents feel that way, the school should find another option. The fact that the effort is funded by a yoga 'school' that's making waves in that community also gives pause.

Judging by the fact the article states that some parents have pulled their kids out of the class because they object... it's obviously an option, so the lawsuit threat is a tad overkill. It's not like the school is forcing every kid to attend these classes, is it?

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:23 am
by Shoju
I heard someone refer to marxism as a "science and mode of analysis".

I giggled.

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:02 am
by halabar
Skye1013 wrote:
halabar wrote:So the parents should at least have the option to opt their kids out of it, and if enough of the parents feel that way, the school should find another option. The fact that the effort is funded by a yoga 'school' that's making waves in that community also gives pause.

Judging by the fact the article states that some parents have pulled their kids out of the class because they object... it's obviously an option, so the lawsuit threat is a tad overkill. It's not like the school is forcing every kid to attend these classes, is it?


Depends. The article wasn't clear enough on that. Doesn't say if the district is providing an alternate class for these kids.

Re: Post Your Amusements!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:07 am
by halabar
Amirya wrote:I didn't say based, though, I said teaches.


But it does teach the fundamentals, which are really key to Hindu "theology" for lack of a better word.

Again, consider this is being funded by an outside group that certainly has an agenda to promote their belief system. (I'm also suprised the Mormon church in the area hasn't stepped into the fray on this, they are big down there).