Remove Advertisements

Wait on your gems

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: hey

Postby Dorvan » Wed May 16, 2007 3:13 pm

Mavrix wrote:I don't have numbers to back it up, but I'm fairly certain their just replacing the "you get nothing but dust" by expanding the chance of "you get 1 green gem" to fill in that %.
I would LOVE DEARLY to be wrong.

What makes you "fairly certain" of that? I don't think there's any intuitive reason to favor either solution over the other, so I think we'll just have to wait for numbers.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Lorath » Thu May 17, 2007 4:29 am

Higan wrote:Right now if I were to prospect I would get 1 of 3 things; Green Gem, Blue Gem, or Nothing.

As I mentioned earlier, the nothing-loots are rare for me, and I often get more than one gem. Am I somehow lucky here?
My best prospect sofar IIRC 3x greens + 1x blue, from one single Adamantite prospect. Teh :shock:
I average way over 1 gem per prospect as it is now on Live.

If they only remove the chance of getting only dust, I'll be happy panda. Any other buffs, yay. Nerfs? Then I'd rather not have the change, thank you very much.
Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

why I think

Postby Mavrix » Thu May 17, 2007 4:56 am

The reason I think that (what I posted before) is I did some informal testing of prospecting with a small sample size. You would need to prospect hundreds of ore - realistically at least 50 prospects, preferably over 100 prospects - to get any worthwhile data (with reasonable statistical significance, degree of certainty, and power in your study). It was nice to not get just dust, but I wasn't seeing an increase in my number of blue gems and the "super prospect" with multiple greens and a blue didn't happen at all with the amount I tested. I also didn't see a lot more of the 2 greens result, but maybe slightly more. Again, this was such a small number of prospects (only about 20) that it isn't a reasonable or representative sample size, which is why I didn't feverishly write down the data and rush to publish.
Hopefully someone with more free time on their hands and/or a ton of ore on the PTR will get around to testing a really large amount of prospects and recording their results to let us know how it "really is".

edit: @Dor . . . . do you need a research study to prove to you that most grass is green? ;) Lighten up, chief.
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix

Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Mavrix
Mavrix

Re: why I think

Postby Dorvan » Thu May 17, 2007 9:53 am

Mavrix wrote:edit: @Dor . . . . do you need a research study to prove to you that most grass is green? ;) Lighten up, chief.

Heh, didn't mean to come of too serious ;)

I simply meant that if you weren't keeping track of what you were getting, perception often doesn't match reality. There are all kinds of blantantly false things claimed on the official forums, so it's always nice to see some sort of evidence backing a claim up :-)
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Lorath » Thu May 17, 2007 11:41 pm

Thanks for sharing your results Mav, even with a small sample, your impressions give us a little preview we would otherwise not have. :)
Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

hey

Postby Mavrix » Fri May 18, 2007 5:11 am

Well, they put up a new PTR patch increasing the drop chance of blue gems from prospecting.
:D
Good news.
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix

Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Mavrix
Mavrix

Previous

Return to General