Remove Advertisements

Wait on your gems

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Wait on your gems

Postby honorshammer » Tue May 01, 2007 8:55 am

As of the next patch, they are changing Jewelcrafting to always give you a gem when you prospect. This will increase the supply of gems in the market, thereby lowering the cost of raw gems and cut gems on the AH.
honorshammer

Postby Lorath » Tue May 01, 2007 10:41 pm

If this will increase the gem amount in reality remains to be seen. That we are guaranteed a gem on prospecting might also mean that the chance of getting 2-3 gems from one prospect could be lowered alot. I know I average way more than one gem per prospect now, and very rarely get only powder.
Besides, rare quality gems prospecting rate will most likely not be affected.

It's my belief that it's balanced out to be about the same, always one gem, and very seldom 2 or more. But then again, we're talking about Blizzard so any guess is valid...
Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

Postby Aergis » Wed May 02, 2007 11:44 am

The way I understood it was they wanted one rare gem per stack of prospecting. Sometimes now you can prospect 2-3 stacks and get all green gems. I think they are increasing that to 25% to get a rare gem, so at least one per stack of ore.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Fridmarr » Wed May 02, 2007 1:25 pm

Aergis wrote:The way I understood it was they wanted one rare gem per stack of prospecting. Sometimes now you can prospect 2-3 stacks and get all green gems. I think they are increasing that to 25% to get a rare gem, so at least one per stack of ore.

Well that's huge then. I was concerned it was only going to increase the amount of green gems, which is useless other than offsetting the cost of not selling the ore perhaps. Increasing the rate of blue gems is nice. Personally I'm 0-4 on stacks of Adamantite prospecting, so I just sell them now and buy the gems.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Lorath » Thu May 03, 2007 2:25 am

More rare quality gems ftw 8)
Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

Postby Kvaern » Thu May 03, 2007 3:03 am

Aergis wrote:The way I understood it was they wanted one rare gem per stack of prospecting. Sometimes now you can prospect 2-3 stacks and get all green gems. I think they are increasing that to 25% to get a rare gem, so at least one per stack of ore.

Any links to official words on this?
Kvaern

Postby Aergis » Thu May 03, 2007 12:58 pm

None that I can recall atm. And I could be totally off... But I think I remember reading it somewhere. elitest jerks maybe?
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Higan » Sat May 05, 2007 11:01 am

Aergis wrote:None that I can recall atm. And I could be totally off... But I think I remember reading it somewhere. elitest jerks maybe?

PTR Patch Notes,

Prospecting now always yields at least 1 gem.
Higan

Postby Fridmarr » Sat May 05, 2007 9:45 pm

Higan wrote:
Aergis wrote:None that I can recall atm. And I could be totally off... But I think I remember reading it somewhere. elitest jerks maybe?

PTR Patch Notes,

Prospecting now always yields at least 1 gem.

That just means at least green (uncommon) gem every time, and doesn't imply an increased rate of blue (rare) gems.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Lore » Sun May 06, 2007 12:32 am

Yea, has anyone tried prospecting stuff on the PTR? I'm curious to see how the changes actually work, I'll be leveling jewelcrafting after 2.1
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Arm » Fri May 11, 2007 10:50 pm

Lore wrote:Yea, has anyone tried prospecting stuff on the PTR? I'm curious to see how the changes actually work, I'll be leveling jewelcrafting after 2.1

ill do some ore farming on ptr later and let you guys know results
Armolas BE Tankadin
49/12
Arm

gems

Postby Mavrix » Sat May 12, 2007 7:20 pm

I'm pretty sure the only gems that will become more plentiful will be green quality, not blue quality (with the exception of this: people have been banking up ore to prospect once the patch goes live so there will be a market spike of new blue quality gems hitting the AH. . . this glut will itself probably lower selling/buying prices, but it won't be because blue quality gems are prospected at a higher rate, just that more prospecting is being done in an increased period of activity).
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix

Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Mavrix
Mavrix

Postby Higan » Wed May 16, 2007 11:10 am

Fridmarr wrote:That just means at least green (uncommon) gem every time, and doesn't imply an increased rate of blue (rare) gems.

If you think about it, ALL the gems drop rates should be increased by this move. Right now if I were to prospect I would get 1 of 3 things; Green Gem, Blue Gem, or Nothing. Post patch that nothing will become something, its has more of a chance of being a green but it also has the same chance to be a blue. So current drop rates will still be in effect, just that prospecting will always yield a gem.
Higan

Postby Fridmarr » Wed May 16, 2007 11:23 am

Higan wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:That just means at least green (uncommon) gem every time, and doesn't imply an increased rate of blue (rare) gems.

If you think about it, ALL the gems drop rates should be increased by this move. Right now if I were to prospect I would get 1 of 3 things; Green Gem, Blue Gem, or Nothing. Post patch that nothing will become something, its has more of a chance of being a green but it also has the same chance to be a blue. So current drop rates will still be in effect, just that prospecting will always yield a gem.

Well I don't know how loot chance is done, but if it's with the one roll system, increasing the rate that "gems" drop does not increase the rate that a blue gem would drop. I doubt it rolls once to determine if a gem would drop then again to determine whether or not it's a rare or uncommon gem. Kind of works the same way that hit and crit work, if you increase your chance to hit, your chance to crit still stays the same. I'm speculating here of course, but that is my guess.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

hey

Postby Mavrix » Wed May 16, 2007 2:49 pm

I don't have numbers to back it up, but I'm fairly certain their just replacing the "you get nothing but dust" by expanding the chance of "you get 1 green gem" to fill in that %.
I would LOVE DEARLY to be wrong.
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix

Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Mavrix
Mavrix

Next

Return to General