Remove Advertisements

LFR information and experiences

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: LFR information and experiences

Postby Dantriges » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:04 am

halabar wrote:You likely aren't the target demographic for it.

Probably not. Still don´t see the appeal for anyone. Exclude people who want to experience the complete content once.
What good is wasting time on something that´s farmmode right from the beginning without communication, any leadership or paying attention? Yeah I know that getting competent leadership in a random realmpool based raid is hard to impossible.

Well, ok I am not the target demographic. No big deal for me, I don´t go there. I just want to know who is the target demographic? I can´t imagine anyone having fun in this mode for an extended amount of time, like a month. If I was very time constrained and could log in once a week or so, I can´t raid with a regular guild. ok fine. So I qeue in LFR and get a random raid. Thatý positive. Looking around for a serverbased random raid can take a very long time. There were always some of them during the week, when most people had some free time to spare but ok I could imagine it´s hard to find a spot.

So I have this new shiny LFR and the whole thing boils down to Go, pull, kill, loot every five minutes. I would feel a bit cheated. My one raid for the week and it´s just a massacre with a very low investment required from me?

I don´t know who the target demographic is. Are there so many people who enjoy waltzing over everything with no effort on a semi regular basis?

Oh what are the actual loot rules for LFR? I´ve heard so many differen things and only been there once.
Dantriges

Postby Flex » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:07 am

No big deal for me, I don´t go there. I just want to know who is the target demographic?

The people who ran 11/12 ICC 10 man pugs at 30% buff on multiple alts and thought they were hot shit?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby degre » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:14 am

Sabindeus wrote:
halabar wrote:
Dantriges wrote:LfR well, with no tactics or anything else mattering much, the whole thin boils down to waste one hour to get some loot perhaps. I don´t see the appeal for anyone, even people who log in very irregularly or on close to dead servers. Raid one hour consisting of hi, go, pull, loot, done. Yea ok you get your purples but the whole thing is more or less a waste of time. No requirement to play half decent or a danger of not succeeding. If that was the only thing that allowed me to raid on a limited schedule it would feel very shallow.

You likely aren't the target demographic for it.

Also remember we haven't seen DW in LFR yet. Might get harder...

I'm looking at it from another perspective. Not sure I'll be raiding with my alliance toons at all, so LFR will allow me to get them in a raid, get some gear, without having to devote time to a consistent schedule. I like it. It's easy? yes. Do I need to pound my head to have fun? no. If raiding in Lurkers affords me challenge on my main, I don't need to kill myself on my other toons.

Also LFR lets me see Deathwing die. I actually care about the plot so I don't feel like it's a waste of time to do it at least once.

This is actually the spirit in which I've completed my first Stacraft 2 campaign; set normal difficulty, gone quickly through the campaign just to enjoy the story and get to end, then went back to go insane on hard and brutal.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:16 am

degre wrote:This is actually the spirit in which I've completed my first Stacraft 2 campaign; set normal difficulty, gone quickly through the campaign just to enjoy the story and get to end, then went back to go insane on hard and brutal.

That's exactly what i did with Starcraft 2, except I didn't go back and try to complete anything on Hard or Brutal. :)

Crazy Concept: Some people don't need to be challenged to enjoy themselves with video games. I don't raid anymore, but I still do enjoy going into a LFD heroic that I outgear and beating everything up trivially for points because I just like pressing buttons and getting visual/auditory feedback from it. Is that so hard to believe?
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby theckhd » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:20 am

Dantriges wrote:I just want to know who is the target demographic?

People who just want to sit down and kill shit for an hour or two to blow off some steam. I used to do this with Diablo II back in the day. Diablo wasn't a hard game or anything. But after a long or frustrating day in the lab, I might just want to come home, chill out, and smash some faces in. I could do that in D2 without any difficulty, and it was fun. Why wouldn't it be fun in WoW?

In fact, that's the part of LFR I really look forward to. I like playing and raiding on multiple classes, so I'm planning on running all of 6 alts through LFR. If it's been a rough day, I might just play to kill shit and have a chance at some loot. If I'm feeling more into it, I'll try and optimize my play to do well on the meters. It's a low-stress activity that lets you put a variable amount of effort into it based on how you're feeling.

I don't see it as a substitute for Normal or Heroic modes, but it's not intended to be. I get the challenge I want out of the game on my main (and main alt) running heroic raids. Alts are vacation from that, where I can run around and get a different experience than I do on Theck. That experience doesn't have to be overly challenging to remain interesting in the same way that a movie doesn't need to be challenging. Sometimes you want a movie with a deep, meaningful message; other times you want a silly summer blockbuster full of explosions. That doesn't make either wrong; there's demand for both, sometimes by the same audience.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Worldie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:23 am

Theck sometimes I think you are my good twin.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Taikishi » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:23 am

I look at LFR this way:

We raid 10 mans in two different groups. Both are pretty bad. In my group, we still don't have a heroic FL kill because:

People don't pay attention
The GL is RL friends with most everyone and he won't push them to do better
Our Elemental Shaman wants to be carried, evidenced by going from 20K DPS to 13K AND giving up on Dragonwrath because he can't solo Nexus on his Shaman OR Warlock (yes, he is in both groups and has 50 embers)
Our Mage (GL's wife) want to be carried, evidenced by doing 13-14K dps as fire, 20K+ as Arcane and would rather play fire because it play like her EQ mage AND she can't solo Nexus, either, and gave up so we have 75 embers doing absolutely nothing
One of our healers in is good in throughput but lacks awareness
One of our healers (GL) is bad at both and constantly changes working strategies, thereby making them worse
We can't get through Sons phases consistently if our code group isn't present a.d we have to bring in alts or non-raiding members

So, for me, LFR is what is keeping me from killing my guildmates and myself. ;p

I'd have left long ago except I'm in the guild to play with a friend who knows all these people personally and he's actually pretty good.
Taikishi

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:24 am

theckhd wrote:

People who just want to sit down and kill shit for an hour or two to blow off some steam. I used to do this with Diablo II back in the day. Diablo wasn't a hard game or anything. But after a long or frustrating day in the lab, I might just want to come home, chill out, and smash some faces in. I could do that in D2 without any difficulty, and it was fun. Why wouldn't it be fun in WoW?

In fact, that's the part of LFR I really look forward to. I like playing and raiding on multiple classes, so I'm planning on running all of 6 alts through LFR. If it's been a rough day, I might just play to kill shit and have a chance at some loot. If I'm feeling more into it, I'll try and optimize my play to do well on the meters. It's a low-stress activity that lets you put a variable amount of effort into it based on how you're feeling.

I don't see it as a substitute for Normal or Heroic modes, but it's not intended to be. I get the challenge I want out of the game on my main (and main alt) running heroic raids. Alts are vacation from that, where I can run around and get a different experience than I do on Theck. That experience doesn't have to be overly challenging to remain interesting in the same way that a movie doesn't need to be challenging. Sometimes you want a movie with a deep, meaningful message; other times you want a silly summer blockbuster full of explosions. That doesn't make either wrong; there's demand for both, sometimes by the same audience.

As usual, theck writes more words saying the same thing I did! This is exactly how I feel about it.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Tev » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:34 am

Here is another good way to look at it;

Normal/Heroics are for Mains, you raid on your main, and your main is the first to complete the content.

LFR is for your alts, you don't want to detract from mains getting the upgrades they need, but you still want to upgrade your alts to fill roles that you may be lacking on during a night of raiding. LFR helps you gear up your alt to a) get shiney epix, and b) be able to help fill an empty hole needed for a main raid.

It's usually not until you have content on farm mode with almost everyone in their full tier sets that you allow people to bring alts (unless one fills a role that is needed to finish the content), LFR helps fill a gap, and improves the transition.
Tev

Postby Flex » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:35 am

Sabindeus wrote:As usual, theck writes more words saying the same thing I did! This is exactly how I feel about it.

Basically the reason I play single player campaigns in Left 4 Dead. I just want to kill zombies.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Pizbit » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:11 am

Dantriges wrote:So one question, what are the actual looting rules. Heard that you can´t loot after you completed or so and a dozen other things. Getting confused.

You can run the raid as many times in a week as you like.
You only receive the 250 VP once per week, after that it is 83g some silver.
You are only eligeable to roll on loot once per week PER BOSS. If you do 3/4 one run, then go 4/4 the next run, you'll only be able to roll on loot from the fourth boss.

It's need > greed restricted by armor class with an added +100 to your roll if the item matches your role in the raid(and it matches this pretty well, and no you can't change your role during the raid).
If you want it, need it. Don't worry about someone's mainspec, they'll get their roll bonus and win over you every time.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby twinkfist » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:45 am

so how fast does the lfr thing go? like, an hour or so? if no wipes.

i honestly don't know if i feel like doing the whole set time raiding stuff anymore...but would still like to kill stuff if i'm bored.

plus, i may do that tonight because although i love my eagles, my god they are terrible to watch.
twinkfist

Postby halabar » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:52 am

theckhd wrote:

This.

Also, to be frank, it gives a "raiding" option to folks who just aren't that skilled.

The more I think about it, the more I really like it. I can raid on my main, and run LFR on my other alts so I can gear them and have fun without all the time commitments and other issues of regular raiding.

Skilled raiders are MAYBE 10% of the population. LFR lets the rest play along, and see the content. Blizz is VERY clear that they want everyone to see the content, even if you think only the skilled raiders should see it.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Worldie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:53 pm

It's also a very nice place to train your raiding skills on alts / secondary specs.

Surely most mechanics can be ignored but... why should you if you are practicing? :)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:57 pm

twinkfist wrote:so how fast does the lfr thing go? like, an hour or so? if no wipes.

i honestly don't know if i feel like doing the whole set time raiding stuff anymore...but would still like to kill stuff if i'm bored.

plus, i may do that tonight because although i love my eagles, my god they are terrible to watch.

Took us between 40-50 minutes.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General