LFR information and experiences

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: LFR information and experiences

Postby Cogglamp » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:41 am

We've also had tank deaths in LFR on Spine when the tank kites to pick up the bloods, takes an unmitigated attack in the back when the amalg is at 9 stacks. Piling them up at the plate is a simple and clean way to do it.

I think my favorite is for tanks to grab bloods as quickly as they drop so you're sitting at 7-8 stacks at 65% health while healers are trying to keep up.
Cogglamp

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:43 am

Ack, I totally forgot about people doing that. I would have a DK standing back waiting until the Amgal was at like...50% health, then taunt off of me so the mob could collect bloods.

His reasoning..."I'm just trying to help. It's how we do it in my guild."
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby benebarba » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:00 am

Fenrìr wrote:No, what amazes me more are the people who whine and complain about other people not doing their job, are those who are NOT doing it themselves. AKA: DPS at sub 20k on Madness; healers going AFK or being in a DPS spec without asking if it's OK, tanks who know nothing of mechanics, and well...dps being out-dps'd by tanks on almost every fight.

If people would just go into LFR and put up their best effort, everyone, including them, can go about their day much quicker and a bit happier. But no, people use it as an excuse to go AFK, or whine about other people.

Yeah, I totally agree. I'm OK if people mess up and learn from it. I'm ok if people don't have everything memorized and ask questions. I'm not cool with people not trying, folks cheesing the ilvl check and not pulling their weight, and folks complaining/trolling (raid tanks going in and doing their job correctly while not over-burdening healers and also out-dpsing most players I wouldn't call trolling. I call it awesome). I'm really hoping that things get a bit better with the new loot rules and gear/stat-distribution in MOP, though I recognize that the best we can hope for is it to have a similar quality to LFD. I can't help but feel the (possibly perceived) increase in stakes (gear) may be responsible for some of the behavior.
benebarba

Postby theckhd » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:06 am

benebarba wrote:surpised they didn't tell you you were supposed to drag the amalg around DW's back because the OT wants to pick their nose and running toward the tank with a mob instead of killing it where it spawns is hard. (Admittedly, I'd always done the opposite: amalg near the plate, gather bloods and run them onto it. Your way sounds much faster)

Well, "my way" (which isn't really my idea or anything) is sort of a necessity on heroic. The pulsing AoE the amalgamation does when it gets 9 stacks hits pretty hard on heroic, so much so that you run raid cooldowns for it to help conserve healer mana. So it's ideal to have that happen as little as possible, which means get him to 9 stacks and then "kill" him within one or two pulses, tops. The only good way to do that is to have him absorb all 9 stacks at very low health while people are already nuking him, which doesn't give you much time for positioning.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby theckhd » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:15 am

benebarba wrote:(raid tanks going in and doing their job correctly while not over-burdening healers and also out-dpsing most players I wouldn't call trolling. I call it awesome).

Food for thought: Heroic 25 Ultraxion hits for 107k, blocks are around 60k. LFR Ultraxion hits for 57k, blocks are around 32k. I'm actually more survivable in a gimmick gear set on LFR ultraxion than I am in a full survivability build on heroic Ultraxion. And I think I still have around 210k life or so in my gimmick set (as opposed to 250k-ish in my regular set).
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby djlar » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:45 am

I think I was on that griefing spine with you guys...

Tanks no idea how to do it, there were the 9 bloods, amalg at 10% he wouldn't move, the amalg died with no stacks, another moron began to dps all the corruptions, the OT was asleep, the moron MT had just 1, healers getting hammered by the 2 loose amalgs.. ended up kicking the moron that had like 3.5M damage on corruptions, turns out he was the OT! he was a DK that switched to DPS..

Well after a swift replace it was smooth sailing there..
djlar

Postby econ21 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:07 pm

What's the etiquette on rolling need for offspec in LFR? I know it is frowned upon in five man PUGS (and I don't do it). But it seems that with 25 man LFR, it's more the norm.
For example, someone was called out for needing on a tier piece he already had and said "OS ofc", leading to silence.

I currently queue as dps in part to avoid being called out for needing on offspec. But given the lower quality and quantity of tanks I am seeing in LFR, I feel I should go back to queuing as tank.
econ21

Postby Zobel » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:05 pm

econ21 wrote:What's the etiquette on rolling need for offspec in LFR? I know it is frowned upon in five man PUGS (and I don't do it). But it seems that with 25 man LFR, it's more the norm.
For example, someone was called out for needing on a tier piece he already had and said "OS ofc", leading to silence.

I currently queue as dps in part to avoid being called out for needing on offspec. But given the lower quality and quantity of tanks I am seeing in LFR, I feel I should go back to queuing as tank.

There's no etiquette in LFR.

In any event, you won't receive a +100 role bonus to your rolls, so if you somehow won something, you must've rolled against other off-spec people.
Zobel

Postby econ21 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:13 pm

I don't think the +100 thing matters so much - the most desirable things from LFR are tier items and the weapons, and for us, it does not matter whether we tank or dps when it comes to rolling (SD and Gurthalak are flagged both as tank and dps weapons).
econ21

Postby Amirya » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:47 pm

Zobel wrote:In any event, you won't receive a +100 role bonus to your rolls, so if you somehow won something, you must've rolled against other off-spec people.

This.

I took my resto druid into LFR last week, and rolled need on some agility bracers, for obvious OS.

I won them.

Go ahead and roll need on whatever you need.

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:39 pm

5 resto shamans....
FIVE

SERIOUSLY BLIZZ

the only etiquette rule that i wish was in there is no leaving til you roll or pass

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby rodos » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:25 pm

bldavis wrote:5 resto shamans....
FIVE

SERIOUSLY BLIZZ

the only etiquette rule that i wish was in there is no leaving til you roll or pass

It should be instant pass if you leave, and any roll you've made converted to a pass if you leave mid-roll. The new LFR loot system will fix that though.
rodos

Postby Baldihar » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:24 am

So I felt that I needed to post my experiences the last few weeks in LFR because not all is lost on human decency.

First off I want to say Thank you for keeping this site going, it has been an immense help to me. I took a 3 year break right after WoTLK came out and I just recently came back to WoW so it was really great seeing this site still active (it was the first place I came to to relearn everything!)

So last week I jumped into an LFR, now I had only been doing the Siege prior to last week. I wanted to get the experience of tanking those first 4 bosses before I took on the more technical ones in Fall of Deathwing. Well I knocked out all 4 of the first ones and finally decided to queue up in the second half. I had watched all the videos, read the posts here, but even watching and reading only gets you so far... I needed the hands on experience. As soon as I zoned in, I hit up the other tank and told them about my lack of tanking experience on Ultrax and Warmaster. He proceeded to tell me it was easy and to just taunt when he pops out... easy enough, so I thought. First run went horribly wrong and I died which led to the raid wiping...

Here is the interesting part, Someone said in raid chat "seems like Baldihar needs a spanking!" to which I replied, " Yes, I prolly do, and I apoligize for that, this is my first time tanking this half of the instance..." And that is when the /whispers started. I thought I was gonna get berated and raged on by all of the trolls, but it was quite the opposite! I was getting pointers, and hints and tricks from several people all at once and it was absolutely awesome! They helped me through Ultrax, and Warmaster without a problem. Spine and Madness were a breeze as well though it was a little chaotic the first time for me. I go the chest piece out of it, one of the people giving me tips, rolled need on the helm and won and gave it to me as well! That was last week...

Last night I queued up for the first half again with a guildie, got to talkin with the other tank and a priest from my server... The other tank was a DK and helped me out with all kinds of stuff, and was even rolling on items for me (Indomidable Pride). We had some hiccups due to trolls (people starting Madness while we were just recovering from a wipe, etc..)but we worked really really well as a team so much so that we exchanged RealID's to run instances together to help each other out. It was completely awesome and I have had some pretty good runs the last few weeks!

All in all it has been a great return, and much thanks goes out to you guys in this community for keeping this going. Without this site, the learning curve for me would have been absolutely horrendous! So thank you again!
Baldihar

Postby Fenrìr » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:48 am

As a tip, if you're a tank and the other tank passes on a tanking item, you win it; including trinkets such as Indom Pride/Soulshifter Vortex.

On my DK alt, I always whispered the other tank and let them know of my lack of gear so their threat would probably kill mine rather quickly. This was a key thing on Madness so I could take first impales then they could just go to town.

But on my tankadin...I'll look at the other tank, judge their gear/gems/enchants/spec, and if they don't say anything to me, I assume you know the instance and won't speak to you. If you're stuff is horrible and you're basically AFK'ing, ignoring mechanics and other things, I'll take the gear from you and pass it to a DPS who is doing their job. I do this on tier tokens especially, even on my alt warrior. I would much rather see a piece of loot go to someone doing their best and not just there for the loot than someone who's barely above healers in DPS and dying to everything under the dargon skin.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:37 am

I don't usually bother inspecting the other tank when I'm on Theck. With proper trickery, you can solo-tank everything in LFR anyhow, so if they end up doing something stupid I usually just end up adjusting to fix it. Worst case is that they do something dumb, die, and I have to solo-tank.
theckhd

PreviousNext

Return to General