LFR information and experiences

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: LFR information and experiences

Postby mavfin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:09 pm

twinkfist wrote:yesterday, lost gurth to a pally with similar gear doing 20k less than me as single-minded fury...and it didn't bother me. i think i've grown up.

That's the whole key to fun in LFR. The loot is gravy if you get it, not a requirement. And take some friends to BS with on the way.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby djlar » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:21 pm

Jabari wrote:
Archeth wrote:8 shamans in my shaman's LFR. Another 6 protectors on top. Why, RNG, why...

If you see this, drop group quick (before boss pull) and re-queue. Otherwise you're ONLY running LFR for the VP, and the HoT heroics are better for that per unit time (usually).

Well with my DPS and Tank toons that's not happening 20-30 mins q, then 30 min debuff then anothe 20-30 mins to hopefully get a low tier group.. I just take my chances.. I just can't bear the fact that the suckiest of them all seem to always win the loot..

I also want Gurth so bad on my Ret pally, hasn't even dropped... and I lose the str trinket every time..
djlar

Postby Jabari » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:34 pm

djlar wrote:
Jabari wrote:
Archeth wrote:8 shamans in my shaman's LFR. Another 6 protectors on top. Why, RNG, why...

If you see this, drop group quick (before boss pull) and re-queue. Otherwise you're ONLY running LFR for the VP, and the HoT heroics are better for that per unit time (usually).

Well with my DPS and Tank toons that's not happening 20-30 mins q, then 30 min debuff then anothe 20-30 mins to hopefully get a low tier group.. I just take my chances.. I just can't bear the fact that the suckiest of them all seem to always win the loot..

I also want Gurth so bad on my Ret pally, hasn't even dropped... and I lose the str trinket every time..

Hmm, I bailed a couple days ago after 3/4 on Fall of Deathwing and immediately requeued, no debuff. It was right after a fight though, not right after entering - might be different.

As far as queue times - it's been my experience that if you absolutely want a fast time (i.e., you can't/don't want to just go do dailies or something while waiting), then queue on Tuesdays - mine have been about half as long (DPS) on Tuesdays than any other day of the week (and the groups have been generally better, too). I think the "more serious" players queue right at the start of the week. *shrug*
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Archeth » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:39 pm

mavfin wrote:
twinkfist wrote:yesterday, lost gurth to a pally with similar gear doing 20k less than me as single-minded fury...and it didn't bother me. i think i've grown up.

That's the whole key to fun in LFR. The loot is gravy if you get it, not a requirement. And take some friends to BS with on the way.

That is true, but on the other hand LFR does not offer the long time motivation to keep going for months just for "fun", and if the drops also never happen that feature is going to lose a lot of its luster in MoP.
Archeth

Postby mavfin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:47 pm

Archeth wrote:and if the drops also never happen that feature is going to lose a lot of its luster in MoP.

For people focused on loot from LFR, sure. But I see groups going in there just for fun killing the internet dragons. As Theck points out in another thread, this community sometimes forgets that a large number of people do not play the game with the same aims or for the same reasons as we do.

Do I know *why* they enjoy going back in there every week again and again? No. Does that mean they're wrong to do so? No.

Just keep in mind that you can't necessarily project your outlook onto more than your personal circle of friends and get the results you expect.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby twinkfist » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:58 pm

well, what i like to do is go to LFR and see how i do on a patchwork encounter against some players that are better geared then me.

now, i went up against an arms warrior with mostly heroic gear and heroic gurth (i was arms myself but all lfr and the new instance gear and no gurth)...i did around 60k and he did around 75k...and then the next closest to me was at 47k...but it was cool

on my ret pally, all my gear is valor or lfr...gurth...and went up against a better geared unholy dk and i out-did him by 10k on madness in lfr...now, i don't look at it as the end all be all...but most raiders have pride in their gameplay...so for the most part...if you beat them when they aren't "taking it seriously"...they start to perform better...and that makes it fun.

he gave me a salute at the end...and it was a good time.
twinkfist

Postby Archeth » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:44 pm

mavfin wrote:
Archeth wrote:and if the drops also never happen that feature is going to lose a lot of its luster in MoP.

For people focused on loot from LFR, sure. But I see groups going in there just for fun killing the internet dragons. As Theck points out in another thread, this community sometimes forgets that a large number of people do not play the game with the same aims or for the same reasons as we do.

Do I know *why* they enjoy going back in there every week again and again? No. Does that mean they're wrong to do so? No.

Just keep in mind that you can't necessarily project your outlook onto more than your personal circle of friends and get the results you expect.

Except you're making assumptions and address statements I haven't made. I'm clearly referring to the point when the encounters alone stop being fun (and I very much doubt that fun is endless for anyone), but you conveniently cut that part of the quote. Fact is a lot of people in this game - even casuals - derive a certain amount of fun from loot alone, the lottery aspect is in the way of that. Some people may have fun going there week after week for no other reason than to kill NPCs but I'm not sure how those who play LFR like it's just another daily quest- or mob farming event are at all relevant to this discussion.

It's a shallow feature that needs fleshing out, loot distribution is just one part and not the part I'm personally concerned about, quality of the encounters and challenge aspect interests me way more and I'm hoping Blizzard will find a better balance once they can release the "real" version of LFR in MoP.
Archeth

Postby benebarba » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:56 am

Archeth wrote:It's a shallow feature that needs fleshing out, loot distribution is just one part and not the part I'm personally concerned about, quality of the encounters and challenge aspect interests me way more and I'm hoping Blizzard will find a better balance once they can release the "real" version of LFR in MoP.

Seriously. Hopefully they'll reach a happy medium where the basic strategy for many of the LFR bosses isn't basically 'stand and burn, baby.'

I hope the linearity isn't here to stay, because while it makes LFR (and 5-mans) easy since you basically can't get lost, it seems like it would be incredibly annoying in the normal and heroic modes when you have no other choice but to bang your head against a boss until you beat it or they nerf it if you want to progress.
benebarba

Postby halabar » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:50 am

benebarba wrote:
Archeth wrote:It's a shallow feature that needs fleshing out, loot distribution is just one part and not the part I'm personally concerned about, quality of the encounters and challenge aspect interests me way more and I'm hoping Blizzard will find a better balance once they can release the "real" version of LFR in MoP.

Seriously. Hopefully they'll reach a happy medium where the basic strategy for many of the LFR bosses isn't basically 'stand and burn, baby.'

I hope the linearity isn't here to stay, because while it makes LFR (and 5-mans) easy since you basically can't get lost, it seems like it would be incredibly annoying in the normal and heroic modes when you have no other choice but to bang your head against a boss until you beat it or they nerf it if you want to progress.

The linearity is more due to raid design that LFR. If they had done it with Icecrown, you would have 3-4 wings to work on.

So I don't see that has a huge concern. I really don't see them making that many more changes, other that restricting rolling better.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby benebarba » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:21 pm

halabar wrote:The linearity is more due to raid design that LFR. If they had done it with Icecrown, you would have 3-4 wings to work on.

So I don't see that has a huge concern. I really don't see them making that many more changes, other that restricting rolling better.

I should have been more clear: I wasn't implying that LFR was the cause of linearity. I was more pointing out that LFR and the 5-mans are about the only place where linearity is possibly beneficial.
benebarba

Postby halabar » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:20 pm

discovered something interesting about LFR queue...

If you get a popup for a 2/8 or whatever, and ignore it, sometimes, it will put you back in the queue if someone else accepts. It appears that it sends "invites" to more than the available slots, so you may not loose your queue time if you are afk for a minute.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby rodos » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:38 pm

halabar wrote:discovered something interesting about LFR queue...

If you get a popup for a 2/8 or whatever, and ignore it, sometimes, it will put you back in the queue if someone else accepts. It appears that it sends "invites" to more than the available slots, so you may not loose your queue time if you are afk for a minute.

And sometimes it pops and then disappears again before you have a chance to click it, which is annoying.
rodos

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:00 am

It seems to just go for a minimum number of accepts in each role to get a group in. If a queue pops and vanishes, chances are a tank or healer clicked decline.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby rodos » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:30 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:It seems to just go for a minimum number of accepts in each role to get a group in. If a queue pops and vanishes, chances are a tank or healer clicked decline.

In that case, I must apologise to everyone who I've done that to. The only thing i want out of LFR for heals is the Maw, so I repeatedly queue for the upper half and reject groups until I get one with 3 bosses dead.
rodos

Postby benebarba » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:31 am

rodos wrote:
KysenMurrin wrote:It seems to just go for a minimum number of accepts in each role to get a group in. If a queue pops and vanishes, chances are a tank or healer clicked decline.

In that case, I must apologise to everyone who I've done that to. The only thing i want out of LFR for heals is the Maw, so I repeatedly queue for the upper half and reject groups until I get one with 3 bosses dead.

You know, in a way, I don't mind that kind of thing in LFR as much as in 5-mans... at least LFR the revolving door seems to work out much smoother (assuming a decent group, that is - if you lose the one healer that was keeping the tanks alive... woe be unto you if you start a fight before you get a replacement).
benebarba

PreviousNext

Return to General