Remove Advertisements

Zell has left the building.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Zell has left the building.

Postby Sabindeus » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:17 am

Zalaria wrote:Part of the problem with Deathwing is that his biggest effect on the world was done overnight in a content patch. There was a video, but it's less connected to the world than the many quests where we saw Arthas.

He did show up a couple times, but in Hyjal he was kinda just sitting there. Twilight was a good one, but I think it was the only one. His random burning of zones was more annoying than anything else.

I felt pretty connected to that video.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Flex » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:25 pm

Zalaria wrote:Part of the problem with Deathwing is that his biggest effect on the world was done overnight in a content patch. There was a video, but it's less connected to the world than the many quests where we saw Arthas.

According to some of the RPG books Deathwing reshaped Azeroth after the madness caused by the Dragon Soul to allow the races to inter-mingle and cause conflict over resources and land.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Astronomic » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:55 am

He did show up a couple times, but in Hyjal he was kinda just sitting there. Twilight was a good one, but I think it was the only one. His random burning of zones was more annoying than anything else.

Well unlike arthas he shows up a bit more often in the pre 60 quests as well. Also Arthas had a plan to lure you into his halls to kill you and re-animate you into his own super hit squad, which requried some coaxing and proving. Deathwing doesnt give a shit about you and just wants you to burn.
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

Postby Vrimmel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:10 am

Maybe a bit late into this thread, but I pretty much agree with the OP. I think one can criticise a lot of things in wow, but the ultimate death sentence for wow is killing off the server community. This is pretty much why I quit today. There is no incentive to get a good server reputation.
Vrimmel

Postby Passionario » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:47 am

Vrimmel wrote:Maybe a bit late into this thread, but I pretty much agree with the OP. I think one can criticise a lot of things in wow, but the ultimate death sentence for wow is killing off the server community. This is pretty much why I quit today. There is no incentive to get a good server reputation.

If so many people prefer to take their chances with the LFG Fail Hell just to avoid the "server community", then said community is better off dead and buried.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:19 am

I never needed incentive to not earn a bad reputation and beyond that I didn't really care. That said, name changing and server hopping are way better at allowing one to be an asshat with no server repercussions, especially since you are able to do worse things than you can do when confined to the LFG context.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Vrimmel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:30 am

Passionario wrote:
Vrimmel wrote:Maybe a bit late into this thread, but I pretty much agree with the OP. I think one can criticise a lot of things in wow, but the ultimate death sentence for wow is killing off the server community. This is pretty much why I quit today. There is no incentive to get a good server reputation.

If so many people prefer to take their chances with the LFG Fail Hell just to avoid the "server community", then said community is better off dead and buried.

I think that is a quite naive way of viewing the situation. People act according to their circumstances. If their actions won't provoke any game changing social consquences (not one random person raging at them, but a community or group) they won't give a shit about the community. It's not because they are especially immature or unreasonable, but those efforts which were previously required are now a hassle compared to how efficient their solutions have become.
Vrimmel

Postby halabar » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:11 am

Vrimmel wrote:
Passionario wrote:

I think that is a quite naive way of viewing the situation. People act according to their circumstances. If their actions won't provoke any game changing social consquences (not one random person raging at them, but a community or group) they won't give a shit about the community. It's not because they are especially immature or unreasonable, but those efforts which were previously required are now a hassle compared to how efficient their solutions have become.

Those who speak glowingly of the server community remind me of those who live in nice gated communities and have tea every Saturday afternoon with the folks from church/Elks-Club/whatever.

The rest of us know that those places exist, but we don't have the chance to live in them. Most servers simply don't have that. That community really only exists among the "elite" of any server, if at all. The rest of us muddle through.

On the other hand, that Cata guild changes I feel have made that social aspect a lot stronger as there's incentive to be part of a group, even if you aren't an active raider.

So while there might be other issues with the game at this age, I call shenanigans on this one. I'd much rather have the current queue systems than wait 3 hours begging people to do one heroic a night.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Flex » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:20 am

Perhaps it is my experience with the "best" guild during TBC where they actively worked to grief as many people as possible by parking their bear mounts on mailboxes and starting crap in the forums has left my doubtful of this "server community utopia" that existed back in the day.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:00 am

Flex wrote:Perhaps it is my experience with the "best" guild during TBC where they actively worked to grief as many people as possible by parking their bear mounts on mailboxes and starting crap in the forums has left my doubtful of this "server community utopia" that existed back in the day.

^- agreed
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Kelaan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:47 am

halabar wrote:I'd much rather have the current queue systems than wait 3 hours begging people to do one heroic a night.

My love of the LFD system is firmly founded both on my overwhelmingly positive experiences (on all my alts), as well as my memories of trying in trade chat to find specific heroic runs on my hunter in TBC, and then later on trying to get heroic Shattered Halls runs for my paladin when I was leveling him. Not only does it let me actually (eventually) get a group for what I need, but it also seems to have given me an overall better experience. Previously, all the "good" people I knew were either already running something, or were grouped with a different clique.

I'm really looking forward to LFR.
Kelaan

Postby Vrimmel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:59 pm

Flex wrote:Perhaps it is my experience with the "best" guild during TBC where they actively worked to grief as many people as possible by parking their bear mounts on mailboxes and starting crap in the forums has left my doubtful of this "server community utopia" that existed back in the day.

wtf does this have to do with anything? That is a minor temporary annoyance at its worst.
Vrimmel

Postby Flex » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:11 pm

Vrimmel wrote:

wtf does this have to do with anything? That is a minor temporary annoyance at its worst.

It has to do with my experience with "the community" and the perceived "awesomeness" of it back in the day.

How is it less valid than people who had the opposite experience?

People were asshats then, they are asshats now. People were nice then, people are nice now. Nothing has changed no matter what people want you to believe.
Flex

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:18 pm

Vrimmel wrote:

What he's saying is that server community isn't some sort of glorious golden age of MMO solidarity that some people have been claiming it was back before LFD.
Sabindeus

Postby Vrimmel » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:40 am

It's pretty far from the point, actually. That is confusing situations where interactions are forced upon you with interactions where you are forced to utilize other players as a resource. The first one although sometimes annoying and in excess can ruin the game for some is something which is still present today. The latter is what forms relationships.
Vrimmel

PreviousNext

Return to General