U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby Flex » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:43 pm

I think taking websites offline in protest/education is dumb. Go to wikipedia, have to click the learn more link to go to the big page why they're doing it. After two FAQs about how awesome the internet is at protesting you get to the entry about SOPA and PIPA.

Compare that to arstechnica and how they are doing it.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Treck » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Teranoid wrote:I love these sites "taking a stand" by CSS or javascript that can easily be sidestepped instead of shutting down their servers. Way to send a stern message to the government.

Like KysenMurrin said, its not to make you unable to use the sites they do it. Its to raise awareness.
Also, by taking them offline, they show how much people actually rely on the internet beeing the way it is, and might make a lot of people appose the acts/bills, as people might not thought it was such a big deal.
SOPA and PIPA are getting lots and lots of support from clueless people who think internet piracy is a bad thing, mainly from the entertainment industry.
They seem to forget a lot that the internet IS in many ways the entertainment industry, or at the very least a huge part of it.
While they are not saying they want to take the internet down completely, by censoring it they are in effect reducing it and honestly just shooting themselves in the foot.

And you prooved a very good point Teranoid.
People who actually do know how to pirate stuff properly, knows how to find the loopholes nomatter what they are going to try to do.
SOPA and PIPA are not going to stop piracy, might lower it by just making it harder to get into, but not impossible. And while just lowering the ammount of piracy might be their goal, they are going to do so many things a lot worse if these gets approved.
Treck

Postby Passionario » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:51 am

They could have at least put some sort of IP detection in place.

I understand why they would want to raise awareness of those who have the option to write to their congressman, but what is the rest of the world supposed to do? Firebomb the US embassy in protest?
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:13 am

Passionario wrote:They could have at least put some sort of IP detection in place.

I understand why they would want to raise awareness of those who have the option to write to their congressman, but what is the rest of the world supposed to do? Firebomb the US embassy in protest?

While that would make my job more interesting... I prefer dull. So please don't :|.

And at this point, Congress has to get at least 2/3 vote to push it through (since from what I'm hearing even Obama is against it... so will likely veto it.) If they have any desire to keep their seats in the upcoming elections... I'd hope they're smart enough to vote against it. As philosoraptor mentioned in the Random Picture Post, I'm sure people will start doing things like that to harass congress into repealing it (assuming it passes at all.) If not, then the Supreme Court will be setting a lot of precedents by allowing it on government sites.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:13 am

I still think its a good idea that the rest of the world becomes aware of it.
What the US does DOES impact the rest of the world by quite a lot (unfortunately)
IF this bill goes through, that means some countries are going to try to do the same themselves.
But if these acts are stomped on before they get any kind of real ground, other countries might see it as futile to even try (even tho few countries could even survive with an internet that excludes lots of out of country websites)
Also, if the EU think its a big deal what US decides to do, they will have to make sure it doesnt fuck up that much.
Treck

Postby degre » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:45 am

Treck wrote:I still think its a good idea that the rest of the world becomes aware of it.
What the US does DOES impact the rest of the world by quite a lot (unfortunately)
IF this bill goes through, that means some countries are going to try to do the same themselves.
But if these acts are stomped on before they get any kind of real ground, other countries might see it as futile to even try (even tho few countries could even survive with an internet that excludes lots of out of country websites)
Also, if the EU think its a big deal what US decides to do, they will have to make sure it doesnt fuck up that much.

It's not just that other countries might try the same, but this bill would affect the rest of the world big times, as it mentions somewhere that they would be able to request a block on payment processor, and doesn't matter if my site is hosted in Sweden, Gibraltar or Curaçao, if my payment processor is blocked, and they can block all my payments being that most means are from the US (Visa, Mastercard, Paypal), they could stop my business even if based abroad.

It would probably force the hand and help some non US based Paypal-ish company get the business, but in the while people could risk seeing their payment stopped for a whim of some Hollywood retard.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien | Sousuke
degre

Postby Firas » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:00 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/techn ... iracy.html

You can look forward to more of this if these laws pass.
Firas

Postby Koatanga » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:29 pm

Treck wrote:I still think its a good idea that the rest of the world becomes aware of it.

It is futile to try because unless every country in the world passes similar anti-piracy legislation, there will always be a place for pirates to operate.

And the more restrictive the rest of the countries are, the more money the open countries will make on hosting and IT services.

There is no way to stop people from accessing what they want. SOPA is like releasing new raid content for hackers. Within a very short period of time, the workarounds will be in place.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby sfrog » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:00 pm

Firas wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/technology/indictment-charges-megaupload-site-with-piracy.html

I would like to direct everyone's attention to This: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news ... upload.ars

It was a two year, joint investigation, that spanned multiple countries - not just our own, and arrested people who profited off of illegal downloading. The people arrested? Owned vehicles like the 2010 Maserati, a classic Lambo. They had 103 inch TVs, artwork, property, things the average Joe Blow can only dream of today. A bit harder to feel sympathetic for them, I think. There is massive evidence that not only did the company know about the abuse, but did nothing to stop it - and in some cases, flat out ignored it. And let's be honest - it wasn't just the recording industry or even the movie industry involved. Software companies were involved in this as well, with copyrighted software being uploaded and shared.

Now I personally think the recording and movie industry is a bunch of money-grabbing, morons, who would love nothing more then to bleed us dry so that they can bath in gold and platinum and scrub their teeth with emeralds. But recently, I was forced to confront myself on this issue. I used to do some work for my father, who discovered his Emergency Management plans that he'd spent months laboring on, as part of a massive proposal for the state, was shared without his consent to a competitor who turned around and used those exact plans to get the contract, bumping him out of the running. Months of work, gone. He'll never see a dime for all the time and effort he put into those plans. As a small time business owner, that loss was felt dearly.

After all that...I honestly can't say that I feel bad for Megaupload, who were warned multiple times about the illegal activity going on. And I have made an effort to avoid downloading content that I know is pirated.
Without Honor...there is no Hope.
sfrog

Postby Passionario » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:26 pm

Firas wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/technology/indictment-charges-megaupload-site-with-piracy.html

Ouch. Now I'll have to tell my sister that the present I gave her for her birthday (a lifetime platinum Megaupload account) is now worthless. :(
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby tlitp » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:58 am

Within hours of that shutdown, Anon went berserk. What goes around, comes around. :P
tlitp

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:39 am

Teranoid wrote:I love these sites "taking a stand" by CSS or javascript that can easily be sidestepped instead of shutting down their servers. Way to send a stern message to the government.

What are you talking about, it's a brilliant message. It's just like the DNS takedown clauses in SOPA: easily circumventable.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Punkss2 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:55 pm

Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Postby Brekkie » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:21 am

The two bills are pretty much Schiavo'd. They might not be officially dead yet, but it's close enough to make no difference, and they aren't coming back to life.

Too soon?
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Fetzie » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:42 am

Brekkie wrote:The two bills are pretty much Schiavo'd. They might not be officially dead yet, but it's close enough to make no difference, and they aren't coming back to life.

Too soon?

Doesn't mean they won't try again some time after the presidential elections when all the hubbub has died down.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

PreviousNext

Return to General