Farewell, Flash

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Farewell, Flash

Postby Invisusira » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:56 am

Just over a year and a half after Jobs' thoughts on Flash letter, Adobe has announced that it will no longer be updating Flash for mobile devices and will instead work on contributing more towards HTML5.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/exclus ... ated/19226

Thoughts? Predictions? Is Flash going away for good?
Invisusira

Re: Farewell, Flash

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:00 am

I fucking hope so

edit: Ok that was harsh. Flash has provided an easy studio for people without a lot of engineering background to create lots of great stuff. What we need is an Adobe app that provides that same framework but outputs HTML5 code.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Flex » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:04 am

I do enjoy that RIM announced that they have licensed the Flash source code and will continue developing it for their QNX/BBX platforms.

I say within 2 years Adobe will complete the HTML5 tools for their suite and will announce the end of Flash on the desktop.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby halabar » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:15 am

Flex wrote:I do enjoy that RIM announced that they have licensed the Flash source code and will continue developing it for their QNX/BBX platforms.

I say within 2 years Adobe will complete the HTML5 tools for their suite and will announce the end of Flash on the desktop.

RIM really is that stupid, isn't it?...

Yep, Flash will be dead on the web in 2 years. Flash just got sent to hospice care.

/party
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Malthrax » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:26 am

Sabindeus wrote:edit: Ok that was harsh. Flash has provided an easy studio for people without a lot of engineering background to create lots of great stuff. What we need is an Adobe app that provides that same framework but without all the gaping security holes.

fix't
Malthrax

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:46 am

Malthrax wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:edit: Ok that was harsh. Flash has provided an easy studio for people without a lot of engineering background to create lots of great stuff. What we need is an Adobe app that provides that same framework but outputs HTML5 code which shouldn't have all the gaping security holes that Flash did.

fix't

re-fix't
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Flex » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:53 am

JIT compilers and WebGL are so open for exploits...
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Jeremoot » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:55 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Malthrax wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:edit: Ok that was harsh. Flash has provided an easy studio for people without a lot of engineering background to create lots of great stuff. What we need is an Adobe app that provides that same framework but outputs HTML5 code which shouldn't have all the gaping security holes that Flash did.

fix't

re-fix't

I approve of this.

Unfortunately, Internet Explorer won't (at least not for 3 years when they finally support it).
Jeremoot

Postby halabar » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:00 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Malthrax wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:edit: Ok that was harsh. Flash has provided an easy studio for people without a lot of engineering background to create lots of great stuff. What we are open-source tools and independent ones that output HTML5 code which shouldn't have all the gaping security holes that Flash did, with browsers that actually provide accurate HTML5 support.

fix't

re-fix't

re-refix't

I want Adobe to make Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. I want Adobe to polish publishing to the iPad format from InDesign. I don't need a HTML5 version of Dreamweaver. Much of my web development is done in Wordpress and custom PHP, I don't want Dreamweaver going there. It will end badly.

halabar

Postby Invisusira » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:00 am

Jeremoot wrote:Internet Explorer

Invisusira

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:05 am

halabar wrote:I want Adobe to make Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. I want Adobe to polish publishing to the iPad format from InDesign. I don't need a HTML5 version of Dreamweaver. Much of my web development is done in Wordpress and custom PHP, I don't want Dreamweaver going there. It will end badly.

Not what I'm suggesting. I'm saying that we need an app that lets you make animations in html5, with some limited scriptability.
Sabindeus

Postby bldavis » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:29 am

Invisusira wrote:

do you use firefox or chrome?
or another one?

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Flex » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:53 am

bldavis wrote:
Invisusira wrote:

do you use firefox or chrome?
or another one?

Chrome at work on my XP machine.
Safari on the home Mac and home Windows 7 VM.
Flex

Postby Jeremoot » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:55 am

I use Chrome out of preference, and the Developer Tools come in handy.

Invisusira wrote:

I wish it were that simple. 10% of web development is coding, the other 90% is attempting to add IE support.
Jeremoot

Postby halabar » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:58 am

Sabindeus wrote:Not what I'm suggesting. I'm saying that we need an app that lets you make animations in html5, with some limited scriptability.

Ah.. yes. But Dreamweaver needs to die.

halabar

Next

Return to General