Remove Advertisements

Dev Watercooler - The Great Item Squish (or Not) of Pandaria

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Dev Watercooler - The Great Item Squish (or Not) of Pand

Postby poptart » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:23 am

Worldie wrote:I believe you can occasionally get essences from armor too?


VERY occasionally.

I cannot remember the percentages right now, but I think it is about 85%/15%...

Weapons gives 85% chance for essence, 15% chance for dust

Armor gives 85% chance for dust, 15% chance for essence

And since quest rewards (the primary source for enchanting mats early in an xpac) and random BoE gear drops favor armor over weapons by a large amount....dust is always more plentiful until something like the Spikes industry gets going.

Poptart
poptart
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Dev Watercooler - The Great Item Squish (or Not) of Pand

Postby Tev » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:39 am

Sabindeus wrote:In Cataclysm they changed uncommon/rare/epic qualities to not have an effect on stat allocation, so that's why.


So they got rid of Blues having X% more points over a Green, or do you mean they no longer have the item points itemized like crap (i.e. greens with all their points in spirit)?

You have a link to this information? I want to read up more on it and what else I may have missed.
Tev
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:06 am

Re: Dev Watercooler - The Great Item Squish (or Not) of Pand

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:04 am

Tev wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:In Cataclysm they changed uncommon/rare/epic qualities to not have an effect on stat allocation, so that's why.


So they got rid of Blues having X% more points over a Green, or do you mean they no longer have the item points itemized like crap (i.e. greens with all their points in spirit)?

You have a link to this information? I want to read up more on it and what else I may have missed.

I don't have a link, but if you compare a green and blue item of the same ilvl, they will have equivalent stats. They made it so color corresponds with how early you receive an item (for example: blue 318s being available in Deepholm, green 318s being available in Twilight Highlands, but the stat allocation being the same.)

Honestly, I think new 5 mans should drop blues, while new raids drop purples. You could have a rare chance to drop a purple from 5 mans (much like the starting heroics for TBC/LK) thereby allowing the crystals to still be obtainable outside of raiding. Alternatively, make LFR blue, normal raids purple, heroic raids "heroic" purple. Sure that introduce blue tier gear, but that isn't unprecedented with the dungeon sets of classic/TBC.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3880
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Dev Watercooler - The Great Item Squish (or Not) of Pand

Postby Tev » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:10 am

I guess it comes down to... why have the colors any more (other than for disenchanting). At least I know now that iLvL is the sole determination for item quality now (well other than stat distribution).
Tev
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:06 am

Re: Dev Watercooler - The Great Item Squish (or Not) of Pand

Postby Paxen » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:19 am

I think it would be awesome if items bought for valor/conquest were epic, but the same items bought (later) for justice/honor would be blue, even though the ilvl and stats were identical.

5 mans could drop blues too - they are attained at the same time as higher ilvl epics aren't they!
Paxen
 
Posts: 555
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:38 am

Re: Dev Watercooler - The Great Item Squish (or Not) of Pand

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:24 am

Paxen wrote:I think it would be awesome if items bought for valor/conquest were epic, but the same items bought (later) for justice/honor would be blue, even though the ilvl and stats were identical.

I like this.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 10988
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Dev Watercooler - The Great Item Squish (or Not) of Pand

Postby Worldie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:54 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Paxen wrote:I think it would be awesome if items bought for valor/conquest were epic, but the same items bought (later) for justice/honor would be blue, even though the ilvl and stats were identical.

I like this.

Would get my approval too, but that's not something we'll ever see.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13126
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Dev Watercooler - The Great Item Squish (or Not) of Pand

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:59 am

Wonder why they don't just copy part of the PvP model, and have a set of gear on the lower currency that just gets its ilevel bumped every tier.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 6663
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: Dev Watercooler - The Great Item Squish (or Not) of Pand

Postby Hrobertgar » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:14 am

They allow some limited enchanting mat conversions.

For example you can take lvl 60 epic shards and convert them to lvl 70 blue shard fragments and then convert those to lvl 70 epic shards.

Perhaps we could suggest to Blizz that if they push the same Dust bonanza at the expense of essences, that they then allow conversion of dust into essences via some obscure and highly inefficient process. Like 10 dust per essence, even a lesser essence.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:42 pm

Re: Dev Watercooler - The Great Item Squish (or Not) of Pand

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:06 am

Worldie wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:
Paxen wrote:I think it would be awesome if items bought for valor/conquest were epic, but the same items bought (later) for justice/honor would be blue, even though the ilvl and stats were identical.

I like this.

Would get my approval too, but that's not something we'll ever see.


I don't get the point of this... you're basically asking for the items to denote when they were purchased on the tooltip, essentially?
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10455
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: Dev Watercooler - The Great Item Squish (or Not) of Pand

Postby Flex » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:28 am

Sabindeus wrote:I don't get the point of this... you're basically asking for the items to denote when they were purchased on the tooltip, essentially?


There is no point to it outside of "I am better than you because I got it when it was harder/took longer to get."
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 7487
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: Dev Watercooler - The Great Item Squish (or Not) of Pand

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:34 am

Flex wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:I don't get the point of this... you're basically asking for the items to denote when they were purchased on the tooltip, essentially?


There is no point to it outside of "I am better than you because I got it when it was harder/took longer to get."


that's dumb. :|
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10455
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: Dev Watercooler - The Great Item Squish (or Not) of Pand

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:36 am

Tev wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:In Cataclysm they changed uncommon/rare/epic qualities to not have an effect on stat allocation, so that's why.


So they got rid of Blues having X% more points over a Green, or do you mean they no longer have the item points itemized like crap (i.e. greens with all their points in spirit)?

You have a link to this information? I want to read up more on it and what else I may have missed.


Correct. In Cataclysm, Green/Blue/Epic is more of a relationship between item level and level available, i.e. at L81 you might get a item level 278 green from a regular quest but an ilvl 292 blue from a group/dungeon quest.
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10455
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: Dev Watercooler - The Great Item Squish (or Not) of Pand

Postby Worldie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:58 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Flex wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:I don't get the point of this... you're basically asking for the items to denote when they were purchased on the tooltip, essentially?


There is no point to it outside of "I am better than you because I got it when it was harder/took longer to get."


that's dumb. :|

Well that's sort of how PvP gear works right now. It says "ahah you are stupid you bought that gear spending hard farmed CP when i bought it at higher ilvl spending mere HP"
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13126
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Dev Watercooler - The Great Item Squish (or Not) of Pand

Postby theckhd » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:02 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Flex wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:I don't get the point of this... you're basically asking for the items to denote when they were purchased on the tooltip, essentially?


There is no point to it outside of "I am better than you because I got it when it was harder/took longer to get."


that's dumb. :|


I think people are entirely too caught up in what color their items are, honestly. On both sides of the argument.

I wouldn't bat an eye if Dragon Soul dropped blues instead of purples. If that's the gear I need to wear to work on challenging content and get enjoyment out of the game, that's what I'll wear. Gear is a means to an end. Yes, it's a status symbol, but the status is derived from how difficult that gear is to obtain, not from the color.

The old days of "purple = hard to get" are long gone, and people really need to get used to it. I don't think it's ever coming back, and it doesn't need to. A Dragonslayer or Firelord title says 100 times more than any tooltip does, anyway.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Call to Arms 5.x, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
User avatar
theckhd
Moderator
 
Posts: 7655
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 1 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest