Remove Advertisements

Dev Watercooler - The Great Item Squish (or Not) of Pandaria

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Dev Watercooler - The Great Item Squish (or Not) of Pand

Postby Flex » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:34 am

imgur does time stamp the files uploaded to it. That "leak" was uploaded on October 22nd 2011 at 10:53GMT.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:47 pm

Passionario wrote:
rodos wrote:There's no more WoW xpacks on the list after that.

Or, indeed, anything else.

In 2015, after releasing the second expansion pack for Diablo 3, Blizzard is going to close shop and fly back home to the stars.

Assuming the world doesn't end in 2012 (gogoMayancalendar!) then it's obviously ending in 2015, so Blizz didn't feel the need to plan past that.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Sagara » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:35 am

Does that mean that Blizzard has acces to the super-secret Mayan Calendar v2.0, that ends the world in 2015?

Maybe THAT's why Rohnin has a Raptor army? To curry favor before the great Raptor God so they will be eaten last? (thanks xkcd :p)
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby rodos » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:03 pm

Flex wrote:imgur does time stamp the files uploaded to it. That "leak" was uploaded on October 22nd 2011 at 10:53GMT.

That's very interesting, because when I looked at it the imgur timestamp was earlier. It was exactly that which made me think "omg maybe it's real". If you have an account, you can re-upload imgur images. I wonder if the site has changed from displaying date of initial upload to date of last upload (maybe even in response to this "incident").
rodos

Postby PsiVen » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:58 pm

Zobel wrote:
rodos wrote:Also, while search for leak info, found this. Wow. Why did I not hear about that leak when it happened?

Because that leak probably "happened" retroactively.

See, e.g. "This URL has been excluded from the Wayback Machine."

That "leak" has some subtly preposterous jokes in there... Not very convincing.

Passionario wrote:
Koatanga wrote:I think they have a growth rate that would last them through the WoW life cycle, which probably only has a couple more expansions left in it, at best.

I bet that's what the BC team thought, too, which is why we ended up with this problem in the first place.

The BC team thought that having raid gear and heroic 5-man gear all around the same ilvl as regular 5-man gear would work out. I don't think they had any idea when they designed the rating system how inflation per expansion would go, and they're quite right that exponential growth is necessary for upgrades to feel worthwhile.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Archeth » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:05 am

To be fair the level 110-115 blues vs. level 100 epics vs. level 105 epics thing wasn't the only thing that went wrong, the difficulty between normal 70 dungeons, heroic dungeons, Kara and the 25-man T4 raids was totally out of whack too.
Archeth

Postby Tev » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:34 pm

You know one thing that I see neglected when they release new content patches is blue/green gear. I never understood why, once you hit iLvL X epix with a new patch, are there no blue and green drops of the same iLvL.

Just a random thought, but I never really did research just how much of a stat difference it would be (perhaps that is the reason, green/blue/purp quality items don't have enough of a gap between them?).

Just a random gear thought.
Tev

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:45 pm

In Cataclysm they changed uncommon/rare/epic qualities to not have an effect on stat allocation, so that's why.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Zalaria » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:06 pm

I have wondered what the effect would be if anything on the JP vendor or dropped in 5-mans was blue. With the new Cata ilevel setup, that has no effect on item value, but it seems like that would give some distinction to raiders without hurting 5-manners. The community might balk though, since "blue=inferior" has been ingrained in us since vanilla.

It would also help the scarcity of heavenly shards, though maelstrom shatter is fixing that too.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:11 pm

Zalaria wrote:I have wondered what the effect would be if anything on the JP vendor or dropped in 5-mans was blue. With the new Cata ilevel setup, that has no effect on item value, but it seems like that would give some distinction to raiders without hurting 5-manners. The community might balk though, since "blue=inferior" has been ingrained in us since vanilla.

?? We had this right at the start of Cataclysm.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:21 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
Zalaria wrote:I have wondered what the effect would be if anything on the JP vendor or dropped in 5-mans was blue. With the new Cata ilevel setup, that has no effect on item value, but it seems like that would give some distinction to raiders without hurting 5-manners. The community might balk though, since "blue=inferior" has been ingrained in us since vanilla.

and one of the many numerous complaints at launch was "wtf blizzard no purple at the end of these long grueling impossible heroics?!"
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:25 pm

Flex wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:

and one of the many numerous complaints at launch was "wtf blizzard no purple at the end of these long grueling impossible heroics?!"

Maybe on the official forums. In game people who had heroic blue gear with a smattering of epics were praised for it. On my server anyway. Adding the "heroic" tag to blue gear certainly helped.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Nikachelle wrote:Maybe on the official forums. In game people who had heroic blue gear with a smattering of epics were praised for it. On my server anyway. Adding the "heroic" tag to blue gear certainly helped.

Your server is weird/I typically only notice mounts.
Last edited by Flex on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flex

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:32 pm

They don't add more gear to the Justice vendor each patch, only downgrade the Valor vendor gear, so it's natural that even if they start with blues it all ends up epics. if they want to distinguish the source of the gear they'd need to downgrade the colour of the items too, which would be awkward, or just add new gear.

And people really do get caught up in the colour of the item, often feeling bad about replacing an epic with a green or blue even if it's obviously better. But that doesn't mean it's not something that could be changed - all it would take is putting up with the bitching when they first implement it then waiting for everyone to just get used to it. Having colour consistently correspond to source of the item rather than purple just meaning "above ilevel x in expansion y" would make more sense.
Last edited by KysenMurrin on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Flex wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:

I never saw this complaint
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

PreviousNext

Return to General