Remove Advertisements

One tank fights

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: One tank fights

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:18 am

That goes without saying, but I'm not sure what the "norm" is. I generally go into things accepting that I'm Doing it Wrong™, even if it's working :P.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Dane » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:33 am

Lieris wrote:It's looking like 4 out of 7 bosses in Dragon Soul are one tank fights (Madness of Deathwing is too unfinished to judge). Firelands had 3 out of 7 bosses as one tank fights. How does your guild handle this situation and how do you feel about it?

I tank every fight for my group (I am expected to so I am bottom of the pecking order for off spec gear) but it saddens me that my co-tank is having to DPS almost as often as he tanks.

This is PRECISELY how my guild handles it. Even the healers tend to get ret gear before I do, because "We'll pretty much never have Daain dps."

But what about my dailies?!?

Fortunately, my co-tank seems happy to do either role, and I'm glad that we've been able to make it clear that on some of those, they're just as "important" as a tanking job, like as "leader of the feet people" on Rhyolith. Let's face it, tanks kind of get looked to as leaders, even if we aren't the RL, and sometimes, I fear that the guy who's being asked to go dps feels like he's being stiffed. And my co-tank is good enough that I wouldn't ever want him to feel that way. I lucked out in the skill, class/spec understanding (fellow tankadin, and he actually gets CTC coverage, etc), and willingness to do what the group needs.

Wow...I derailed there.
Dane

Postby Dane » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:37 am

Lieris wrote:
KysenMurrin wrote:Blizzard have said the only fight in Firelands they actually designed as 1-tank was Majordomo Staghelm, but most people do single tank 3 of them. So even when they do try to make it for both tanks it doesn't always work out. I doubt they've deliberately made a large portion of Dragon Soul single-tank.

If that's the case then they aren't very bright. There's no benefit to a second tank for Rhyolith and Baleroc would be impossible to meet the DPS requirements with two tanks.

Agreed. We tried double-tanking Rhyolith when we were doing progression, where one tank would take fragments, and the other would take sparks, and it just seemed awkward. Finally, I just said "Look, I can tank all the adds, let's add an extra dps to this fight."

Baleroc...if your healers are worth their salt, I can't see bothering to two-tank this, even pre-nerf, Decimation just wasn't THAT threatening if, again...you had decent healers.
Dane

Postby Petrus » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:54 pm

I often go DPS for the one-tank fights - my dps set is better and I'm better at it than our other tanks have been in general - though our other tank is catching up on gear so we can go with either of us as opposed to having an obvious choice.

I do 3/7 as Ret this tier, so 3/7 next tier sounds alright as well. If it's 4/7, then I'm ret as much as or more than I'm prot, and that's frustrating, I suppose.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:39 pm

Dane wrote:
Lieris wrote:it saddens me that my co-tank is having to DPS almost as often as he tanks.

... But what about my dailies?!?

Sometimes, I fear that the guy who's being asked to go dps feels like he's being stiffed.

Dailies are fine in S9/S10 pvp gear - it's how I do them, in prot spec. (2x each of T12/T11 aren't too shabby either.)

I was that guy in ICC; honestly, I didn't feel all that bad about it. It was fun not to have the responsibility (aside from fire avoidance) that tanks do, it was fun (frustrating...) to beat a few of the main-role DPS people (with better gear!). It was only frustrating when it came to rolling on loot, as I was bottom-totem due to not being main-role DPS.

I'm planning to use the 4.3 5-mans to gear up my DPS set, and proceed from there. I never get to arenas anyway, may as well have a ret spec.
Kelaan

Postby mavfin » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:54 am

Petrus wrote:I often go DPS for the one-tank fights - my dps set is better and I'm better at it than our other tanks have been in general .

Yeah, that's where I am. What raiding I've done, I go fury for one-tank fights because I'm a better 'switcher' than the other tank, usually. I haven't minded, because in each case, the other tank was one of the other three 'best' tanks in the guild.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Darielle » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:29 am

Dunno if you're talking about heroic, but Rhyo normal we use 2 tanks... have 1 dps on spark, 1 on fragments, rest on legs. The 2 on sparks/fragments help the other if their's is down. We might be doing it weird though...

*shrug* As long as Sparks die before they meltdown, Sparks die before they oneshot, and Rhyolith transitions, I don't think any way is really "wrong". It might be impractical to scale up to Heroic, but that's a different story.

What I mean is that on 10-man, Fragments last like two seconds and you can just have a DPS DK or whoever drop a D&D and carry on because there are so few, they live for such a short amount of time and they tickle.

Part of the whole "making stuff easier" means that there's more leeway for that sort of thing. They could enforce two-tanking by making Fragments hit like Algalons instead of letting you let a couple go beat on whoever, but they didn't.
Darielle

Postby Arjuna » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:52 pm

It's crap, but since it seems I am the only tank with a decent dps set I have to go dps in every one-tank scenario... :(
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Lieris » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:12 pm

Morchok is a one tank fight on normal, the debuff is avoidable so it often falls off all by itself during tanking or during black blood. Heroic mode is different (you have to split off into two groups of five) but I thought this was worth bringing up anyway.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Rhagen » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:00 am

From my experience on Ptr the final fight Madness of Deathwing is also a 1 tank fight. So we got the faceless bosses, hagara, spine and madness that's possible to solo tank unless they drasticly change those fights for live.
Rhagen

Postby Winkle » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:48 am

Lieris wrote:Morchok is a one tank fight on normal, the debuff is avoidable so it often falls off all by itself during tanking or during black blood. Heroic mode is different (you have to split off into two groups of five) but I thought this was worth bringing up anyway.

This was my experience too. Plus even if it doesn't drop it won't stack particularity high before blackbloood.
Winkle

Postby Lieris » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:34 am

Ultraxion is one tankable, just taunt as soon as you get the threat debuff. I had to do this because my co-tank kept dying early. Heroic mode is almost certainly supposed to be one tanked judging by the wording in the dungeon journal (changes from current target plus one random to two randoms).
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Rhagen » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:59 am

Lieris wrote:Ultraxion is one tankable, just taunt as soon as you get the threat debuff. I had to do this because my co-tank kept dying early. Heroic mode is almost certainly supposed to be one tanked judging by the wording in the dungeon journal (changes from current target plus one random to two randoms).

i can confirm this, i have done it as well and its just about timing of using the ability to not die from the debuff.
right now 6/8 fights on normal mode are looking to be solo tank fights.
Rhagen

Postby Treck » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:15 pm

The threat debuff increases physical damage taken by 100% aswell.
So not sure its suppose to be onetanked.
Not saying it cant be done, but pretty sure its suppose to be dualtanked.
Treck

Postby thegreatheed » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:33 pm

Rhagen wrote:
Lieris wrote:Ultraxion is one tankable, just taunt as soon as you get the threat debuff. I had to do this because my co-tank kept dying early. Heroic mode is almost certainly supposed to be one tanked judging by the wording in the dungeon journal (changes from current target plus one random to two randoms).

i can confirm this, i have done it as well and its just about timing of using the ability to not die from the debuff.
right now 6/8 fights on normal mode are looking to be solo tank fights.

This will work well for us. I got ret for single tank fights, have pretty good gear, already do dps on par with the guildies, and ret is getting buffed.
thegreatheed

PreviousNext

Return to General