Remove Advertisements

One tank fights

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: One tank fights

Postby Milius » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:32 am

Lieris wrote:
If that's the case then they aren't very bright. There's no benefit to a second tank for Rhyolith and Baleroc would be impossible to meet the DPS requirements with two tanks.

Rhyolith, There is no need.
Baleroc? The enrage is hardly a problem and I can't imagine dropping a DPS for an extra Tank having that much of an effect on you killing the boss. Pre-nerf sure, you couldn't 2 tank it. Post-nerf? You could probably run with 5 dps and the enrage would be nps.

Edit : Ultraxion does read like a 1 tank fight, can't recall reading anything you'd need to tank swap on?
Milius

Postby Lieris » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:37 am

Milius wrote:Baleroc? The enrage is hardly a problem and I can't imagine dropping a DPS for an extra Tank having that much of an effect on you killing the boss. Pre-nerf sure, you couldn't 2 tank it. Post-nerf? You could probably run with 5 dps and the enrage would be nps.

I don't think post-nerf Baleroc is worth talking about.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby lythac » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:40 am

Treck wrote:I would think they would wanna aim for all fights beeing 2tank fights with the lfr finder coming up, not always the 2nd tank will have an offspecc.

In LFR on single tank fights the other tank can just DPS in tank spec, the tuning should be incredibly low that it will not matter. IMO LFR raids are going to be tuned around having 5 AFKers and 5 people attracted to fire so the issue of having tanks without a DPS spec is non existant.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Treck » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:40 am

Milius wrote:Edit : Ultraxion does read like a 1 tank fight, can't recall reading anything you'd need to tank swap on?

Read the fading light ability then.

Completely forgot about Hagara. So ill give it 3, with the possibility of the faceless stacking healingdebuff might require 2tanks if he stacks it faster in heroic.
Treck

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:59 am

I can see Blizzard thinking that 3rd or 4th string tanks could anchor their own raiding teams, thus creating jerbs for another set of DPS and healers. I don't know that it'll work out that way, and it's kind of shit for established raiding groups. There was a lot of yelling when 40m got reduced to 25m, as well.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Holyblaze » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:49 pm

Levantine wrote:We just have the druid go kitty, but I guess we lucked out since he actually enjoys being a cat quite a bit. The whole thing seems like a self fulfilling prophecy to me. There's a lack of willing tanks so blizzard designs around a single primary tank so there's fewer tanks in the pool so the lack of main tanks increases so blizzard is forced to keep making encounters with single tanks.

This. I do think that this will further shrink the tanking pool. DPS for raids and Tank for 5 mans. Kinda how it goes anymore though, as I do not see how they can correct coarse at this point.
"Take what you know of the Light...when you walk in darkness." - Mom
Holyblaze

Postby Relwynd » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:34 pm

Currently I'm the tank that goes DPS for fights... and it bothers me, but not as much as seeing my co-tank's DPS gear (ungemmed and unenchanted to the point it is insulting) Sounds like I will be going DPS more than I really want to.
Relwynd

Postby Crimsonheart » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:59 pm

co-tank's dps set not enchanted/gemmed is a raid leader/guild leader issue not yours. All you are doing is setting a precedence that he is the "Main Tank". If you are the raid leader, you tell him he needs gemmed and enchanted within 2 weeks for his offspec, or he will be sat (or never allowed to roll on offspec stuff, whichever you want, which you want to tank...so he needs to set it up).
Crimsonheart

Postby Kelaan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:08 am

My raid leader(s) know that my off-spec is PvP prot, rather than DPS. My dps weapon is a 346 2H (well, now I got the mace from Jeklik...), and I've never soaked up any off-role gear. So, I tank single-tank fights. This is fine when I'm doing well, but it's frustrating when it's a farm fight for everyone but me because I've raided Firelands three times (four?) and been on indefinite hiatus due to the new baby. :)

In T10, I went DPS. I do like it, actually. I just am not practiced at 4.x Ret, nor geared, etc etc. I suspect that the 4.3 dungeon gears will let me put together a good set without much fuss, and then I can respec my second spec back to DPS... I never get to PvP anyway.
Kelaan

Postby sahiel » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:53 am

Pyrea wrote:We single tank Rhyolith, Baleroc and Majordomo heroic (10 man). Our warrior really likes going fury so he goes dps on those bosses.

Same for us except my co-tank is a druid who enjoys kitty and since we have no rogue he's soaked up almost a full heroic set by now.

It does seem odd that only one fight was "designed" for a single tank given how obviously it rewarded you solo tanking these three fights. If that's accurate I expect we'll see more solo tank fights then Blizzard planned, probably a similar number as has been discussed, 3 (possibly 4) rather than 1 or 2 as they intended.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:28 pm

Lieris wrote:
KysenMurrin wrote:Blizzard have said the only fight in Firelands they actually designed as 1-tank was Majordomo Staghelm, but most people do single tank 3 of them. So even when they do try to make it for both tanks it doesn't always work out. I doubt they've deliberately made a large portion of Dragon Soul single-tank.

If that's the case then they aren't very bright. There's no benefit to a second tank for Rhyolith and Baleroc would be impossible to meet the DPS requirements with two tanks.

We beat the heroic 10-man Baleroc enrage with three healers and 1 tank. My previous guild (a heroic rag killing guild) used 1 tank and 2 healers. Some guilds use 2 tanks and 2 healers. The enrage, pre-nerf, wasn't all that bad.

25-man guilds tend to use 2 tanks for Rhyolith and Baleroc. There's no reason not to for Rhyolith, since you generally don't want the person tanking the spark to also be tanking the adds and the tank damage on Baleroc is such that a second tank becomes beneficial.
Belloc

Postby Darielle » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:47 am

Post-making-sense-on-25 and Pre-lol-easymdoe Baleroc was very much doable with 2 tanks.

And even pre-making-sense-on-25 Baleroc was doable with two tanks if you were prepared to go with an asburdly low number of healers and abuse Sparks.

Rhyolith doesn't really translate well down to 10-man where Fragments explode before the Spark even spawns, but there's a clear intent for people to use two tanks, and the majority of 25-man raids two-tank it.
Darielle

Postby Worldie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:34 am

Remember Baleroc hc 25 originally granted a spark every 3 stacks and not ever 5 so healing was actually easier before the first change
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:40 am

Darielle wrote:Rhyolith doesn't really translate well down to 10-man where Fragments explode before the Spark even spawns, but there's a clear intent for people to use two tanks, and the majority of 25-man raids two-tank it.

Dunno if you're talking about heroic, but Rhyo normal we use 2 tanks... have 1 dps on spark, 1 on fragments, rest on legs. The 2 on sparks/fragments help the other if their's is down. We might be doing it weird though...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:02 am

Skye1013 wrote:
Darielle wrote:Rhyolith doesn't really translate well down to 10-man where Fragments explode before the Spark even spawns, but there's a clear intent for people to use two tanks, and the majority of 25-man raids two-tank it.

Dunno if you're talking about heroic, but Rhyo normal we use 2 tanks... have 1 dps on spark, 1 on fragments, rest on legs. The 2 on sparks/fragments help the other if their's is down. We might be doing it weird though...

might?
no im pretty sure we are just by virtue of who your RL is .....

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

PreviousNext

Return to General