All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:05 pm

John Fox has left the Broncos bandwagon.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:00 am

honorshammer wrote:Your 2015 Opponents are already known. No +2 games needed.
I was just too lazy to see who the other opponents were.

honorshammer wrote:The Browns 2015 schedule breaks down this way:

Home: Tennessee, San Francisco, Oakland, Denver*, Arizona*, Pittsburgh*, Cincinnati*, Baltimore*
Away: New York Jets, San Diego, Kansas City, Seattle*, St. Louis, Pittsburgh*, Cincinnati*, Baltimore*

*2014 Playoff team

Arizona will depend on who they have playing QB. Denver might as well. SF still doesn't have a coach. Tennessee and Oakland shouldn't scare you. Jets, Chargers are okay. KC can be tough. (Aside: It was a loss to KC that turned around both the NE and SEA seasons this year). Seattle and St. Louis will be tough outs, but St. Louis has QB questions as well.

I have no idea what kind of cap space you have, but make some decent moves (Cobb maybe?) and draft well. Go 3-3 in the division. Beat OAK, TEN, NYJ, ARI or STL, and DEN (assuming no Manning) and that gets you to 8-8. Steal one against the Chargers or Frisco and you could have a winning season.

[/quote]

Tennessee and Oakland don't scare me at all, you're right.
'Zona scares me, because of the defense, and the fact that we are not settled at QB. If their D shows up the way it did at times last season, the offense could punt on 1st down, and they would win. That's hyperbole for sure, but man... the QB situation is a dumpster fire, in a sewage facility, just waiting for an explosion of poo.

The cap space is there. I'm just hoping we spend well. Cobb, would be a nice addition for sure, but as far as "Skill set" I'm not sure that we have a place for him unless we are saying that Gabirel and/or Hawkins are not going to make it to the squad next season. And right now, they are the best options we have at WR.

If I were the Browns Exec, I would look at adding some mix of the following gusy:

QB:
Mallet
Hoyer

FB:
Kuhn (as if he's leaving GB....)

WR:
Demaryius Thomas (he'd be my first, and biggest priority)
Cecil Shorts A little shorter than what I think we need, but would be a "decent" fill in.

TE:
Resign Cameron MAYBE (health)
Jermaine Gresham

OL
Doug Free
Michael Roos
Orlando Franklin
Wisniewski

DL
Jason PP
T. Knighton

CB
Pastrick RObinson

K
Keep the one we picked up in the season, dump Cundiff in aforementioned dumpster fire

That would be my "Free Agent Board". Obviously, you aren't getting all of them, but that is where I would start looking to upgrade the team, and get better.
Shoju

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:41 pm

The Brown's (and the AFC North in general) benefitted from very weak out of conference matchups against the NFC/AFC Souths. Going against the Wests will make it pretty difficult for them to improve on their records compared to this year. Ten wins could take the division next year.

I agree with Shoju, I'd love to see the Seahawks demolish the patriots in the Super Bowl. I didn't mind the strategy of using the ineligible receiver, but their ripping the ravens over it when the refs clearly messed up, really annoyed me.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Shoju » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:56 pm

So, Cardale Jones is weighing his options on the draft.

I don't blame him. It's awfully crowded in Columbus right now for QB's. I'm not so sure that all 3 of them will be back. Cardale looked and reminded me a lot of a "Big Ben" type QB, and while 3 games isn't a very big sample size, I don't blame him for weighing the option with the knowledge that he has a child to care for.

Though, I'm not sure how "NFL Ready" you can judge a QB after three games, even if they were 3 "big games" against presumably top notch Defenses. But, if I were him, and the NFL draft analysis put me in the top 3 rounds? I'd probably jump at the opportunity, and bust my ass to make the best of it. a couple hundred K a year to be a backup, and learn, is better than going back to school (when he obviously only went to college to play football)

Hell, I could see a team like Pittsburgh taking him in the draft (presuming they think they have seen enough), and grooming him behind another "big body" QB, and give him the chance to mature into a possible franchise QB.

I think that he's going to go to the draft, and I don't blame him. I hope he succeeds. His 3 game run will be the stuff of legend in college football for years to come, and it would be cool to see it be a good "movie" type story.

The odds aren't in his favor, but I am hopeful.
Shoju

Postby Koatanga » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:31 pm

It's a good time to be available for NFL selection as a QB. Lots of teams are looking for QBs and there just aren't the marquee options coming out of college to fill the need. Teams are going to have to take some chances, and a kid with a track record of big game performances could be in great position to capitalise. I think making himself available for the draft would be a great move for him.

Having said that, would I want the Seahawks to take him? Probably not. I don't know a great deal about the kid, but his famous tweet "Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain’t come to play SCHOOL, classes are POINTLESS" doesn't exactly suggest a strong work ethic or "student of the game" mentality. Hopefully he's moved on since then, but I can't see a "student of the game" type of player ever considering such a tweet, and in Seattle preparation is what it's all about.
Un-Retired. Ish. Koatanga, Cutesy, Shapely, Sultry of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:35 pm

So, Paterno and Penn State getting their wins reinstated. >=(
---
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:44 pm

Super Bowl, baby! Yeah!

Fantastic game in hindsight, but living through it was hell. Excellent game called by Green Bay.
Koatanga

Postby Jabari » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:48 am

Koatanga wrote:Excellent game called by Green Bay.

This part was supposed to be in a sarcasm-tag block, right? :P
... the fact that more potential voters are swayed by a few trivial comments 10 years ago than a candidate literally collapsing is not a good sign and tends to indicate that even if Trump wins, it won't matter.

No electorate that stupid is going to survive long, one way or another.
Jabari

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:02 am

Indeed.

I had to laugh at Rodger's comment that they played well enough to win...lol. That was a poorly played game all around, but if you get 5, freaking FIVE, turnovers and the other team is still in the game, you did not play well enough to win. Seattle may have gotten pretty lucky between the non dead ball personal foul (I absolutely HATE the way personal fouls and even when they are dead ball fouls have an offensive bias in the way that they are marked off) and the muffed onside kick, but Green Bay did not deserve to win that game.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:15 pm

Yeah, ever since they were unable to start the game 21-0 and instead started 13-0, I knew the Packers were in trouble.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:10 am

so, there was some truth about the pats' balls being underinflated.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:36 pm

The Patriots cheating? No way.

NFL referees unable to notice difference in the balls that they set into play every snap, even though it was obvious to the Colts' equipment handlers? Corrupt or incompetent - is there a third option?

It's one thing to cast question on the character of NFL players, but an entire order of magnitude difference to bringing into question the legitimacy of the contest itself. I see no way the Patriots get away with a slap on the wrist here. Not after the stink made over Rice and Peterson and the special meetings about player conduct and the Player's Union bitching about not having a say. Anything less than the full monty will have people calling for Goodell's head. Again.
Koatanga

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:17 pm

What would be hilarious is if they lose against the Seachickens is that everyone will label the Pats as unable to win the big games if forced to play on fair grounds.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:42 pm

There are reports that the Colts were warned ahead of time about the ball tampering. If true, that may explain why the Colts noticed it and the refs didn't. Also, handling the ball under force is not something the refs do much. Although I bet a ball inspection becomes part of the SOP now...

On one hand, I'm loling and I hope the punishment is severe (purely for my own enjoyment) and that the Pats lose yet another Super Bowl to top it off. On the other hand, it's really much ado about nothing. Guys across the league cheat pretty regularly with lots of little things like this, and I don't think anyone believes it really affected the outcome of the game.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:54 am

Fridmarr wrote:There are reports that the Colts were warned ahead of time about the ball tampering. If true, that may explain why the Colts noticed it and the refs didn't. Also, handling the ball under force is not something the refs do much. Although I bet a ball inspection becomes part of the SOP now...

On one hand, I'm loling and I hope the punishment is severe (purely for my own enjoyment) and that the Pats lose yet another Super Bowl to top it off. On the other hand, it's really much ado about nothing. Guys across the league cheat pretty regularly with lots of little things like this, and I don't think anyone believes it really affected the outcome of the game.

You know, I am perfectly fine with Belichick gaming the formations since that's actually legal, it just shows creativity on his part -- but doctoring balls AFTER initial inspection crosses the line.

Even if you say he didn't know and it was an eager ballboy trying to please Brady *snort*, he is still responsible -- after all, Goddell nailed Payton for something he was supposedly not aware off and was the machination of the defensive coordinator.
---
Klaudandus

Postby honorshammer » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:01 am

The NFL has to come down hard on this. It's not about the outcome of the Colts game. It's about the intergrity / credibility of the NFL which has been a problem all year. "Genius" does not supersede ethics. Glamour does not outshine values.

Peter King reports:
recall that after the 2007 Spygate investigation into the Patriots’ videotaping of opposing coaches’ signals that Goodell fined Belichick $500,000 and the franchise an additional $250,000, and he docked New England a first-round draft pick. As part of the discipline, Belichick would have to make a verbal apology in front of the press that week. Instead, the coach issued a printed statement and refused to answer any questions on the topic. “I was given assurances that [Belichick] would tell his side of the story,” Goodell said at the time. “He went out and stonewalled the press. I feel like I was deceived.”

Belichick said at the time, “I did not make any assurances about thoroughly discussing the subject publicly. I said I would address it following the league’s review. I then did that in a way I thought was appropriate. I don’t think that was deceptive.’’

Goodell did. I doubt there’s much benefit-of-the-doubt here if Goodell finds that Belichick was involved in the deflating.

This might go beyond a suspension for next year's Buffalo game or a $100k fine to a guy who makes millions.

It's sad that all the Patriots work is going to be tainted. The 2001,2003,2004 Super Bowls are tainted by Spygate and the 2014 Super Bowl will be tainted by Ballgazi.(I think NE wins the SB - SEA D has only one weakness - stopping TEs - NE has the best in the business)
honorshammer

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:44 am

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... eflategate
Bullshit.

That said, his face kinda shows like he's certainly aware of a possible suspension due to the track record.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:29 pm

I cannot believe that freaking play call... Of all the weapons the Seahawks and Wilson have, a straight up pocket pass ranks about the lowest.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Arnock » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:31 pm

Man, talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Aergis » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:47 pm

What in the fucking shitall crap was that. 2nd and goal on the fucking 1... "Hmmm, let's let Marshawn take a break, his legs are probably tired. THROW THAT SHIT!"
Even if it took all 3 remaining downs by rushing it would have been better to run the clock down a bit than say 2 incompletes and a TD then give 40 seconds back to New England.

Unbefuckinglievable.

Posting here cause I grew up in Boston, so 95% of my Facebook is cheering. But now I've been living in Seattle for 15 years vs 10 in Boston.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:12 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:54 am

Having seen the replay, it looks like Lockette gave too much ground as he slanted, and Wilson probably would have rather put the ball more on his body. I don't necessary mind them throwing on second down, but why not play action or a roll out? I just can't fathom running a play that doesn't include Lynch or Wilson's legs in the execution.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Paxen » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:35 am

Yeah, throwing the ball is defensible (it breaks tendency, it's uncertain if they actually had time to run 3 times), but that specific pass is not. A writer (at Football Outsiders) said he'd seen 1900 Seahawk plays, and they never throw passes like that. At least try something you've practiced.

Having said that, there's always a chance of a turnover. Did that specific pass have a higher chance of an int then a play action pass, or the chance of a fumble on a run? Is it so much more risky that you're conscious of it in the very few seconds the coordinator has to call that play? (They probably expected a New England timeout there.)
Paxen

Postby honorshammer » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:44 am

I might have let it go there, too.

Also SI's Doug Farrar @SI_DougFarrar tweeted that "according to PFR there were 108 passes thrown from the 1-yard line this season. Zero interceptions."
honorshammer

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:43 am

Paxen wrote:Yeah, throwing the ball is defensible (it breaks tendency, it's uncertain if they actually had time to run 3 times), but that specific pass is not. A writer (at Football Outsiders) said he'd seen 1900 Seahawk plays, and they never throw passes like that. At least try something you've practiced.

Having said that, there's always a chance of a turnover. Did that specific pass have a higher chance of an int then a play action pass, or the chance of a fumble on a run? Is it so much more risky that you're conscious of it in the very few seconds the coordinator has to call that play? (They probably expected a New England timeout there.)

Passing on second down is likely better clock management, but you can go either way there.

As for the odds of a turnover, the problem with that particular pass play is that because it was going to be completed short of the end zone it still had the same chance of a fumble as any running play, plus the chance for an interception. Also those sort of quick slants have a higher chance of being deflected increasing their odds of a pick. On second down in 4 down territory, you should absolutely run a safer pass play that is not only safer but goes to your strengths.

Play action, especially with the way the Pats would have sold out for Lynch, would have been a great call. It does raise the risk of a sack, but everything else can be designed to be pretty safe. You can also roll out Wilson (with or without a fake to Lynch) which gives him the option of running, throwing, or just throwing the ball away, and is extremely safe and extremely difficult to defend in that situation.

That said, the play wasn't doomed based on the call. They did have a good matchup, but they were out executed by the Patriots. Wilson did not recognize the route being jumped (though I'm not convinced he could have) and he threw late, high, and wide of his target. Lockette gave ground on the route, which exacerbated Wilson't slightly off target throw. The defensive back, jumped the route and made a good play, so plenty of credit goes to NE. It's just that that play doesn't play at all to Seattle's strengths, and there are many other much better options in that situation.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General