Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:58 am

I'm pissed about this situation. Not because he's gay, but because the media is going to do everything in it's power to make this a bigger news story than it should be. I don't think that we will ever truly get to a point where it's "not a big deal that an athlete is gay" until the media decides it isn't a big deal.

Sort of the way I felt about ESPN bashing #4 into our brains over and over and over and over with his exit from GB, to the Jets, and then the Vikes.

It's a fabricated news frenzy.

It's frustrating that we live in a society where it's "news" that someone is gay. Why is it news? Because there are way too many people in this country who are scared of someone that is different than them, because of what they do in their personal lives.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:18 pm

Shoju wrote:I'm pissed about this situation. Not because he's gay, but because the media is going to do everything in it's power to make this a bigger news story than it should be. I don't think that we will ever truly get to a point where it's "not a big deal that an athlete is gay" until the media decides it isn't a big deal.

Sort of the way I felt about ESPN bashing #4 into our brains over and over and over and over with his exit from GB, to the Jets, and then the Vikes.

It's a fabricated news frenzy.

It's frustrating that we live in a society where it's "news" that someone is gay. Why is it news? Because there are way too many people in this country who are scared of someone that is different than them, because of what they do in their personal lives.

I think a Deadspin comment summed it up nicely.

For it to be no big deal that a professional athlete is gay it needs to be a really big deal for a period of time.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Koatanga » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:07 pm

If you take any sampling of 53 men in the US, you're going to find people who are either homophobic or who believe their religion teaches against homosexuality.

Ask the average NFL GM if adding an openly gay player will cause issues in his locker room - he's an idiot if he says no and anti-gay if he says yes.

That's gold to the media, because they get to put someone in a no-win situation and have something to report on either way.

Should an openly gay player be devalued in the draft? Ideally no, but in reality yes, because he's going to cause issues in the locker room, whether because other players are homophobic, or because the media will corner players into no-win questions and blow up any wrong answer into headline stories. If he gets cut, is it because he's gay or because he didn't play well enough? He's a civil suit waiting to happen.

People don't like personal agendas mixed with their football players. We don't want Tebow throwing God in our face, and we don't want players waving rainbow flags at us. We just want players to play the game. What they do off the field is their business.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby bldavis » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Koatanga wrote:We just want players to play the game. What they do off the field is their business.

and that is how it should be for all athletes....at least in my opinion

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Koatanga » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:52 pm

bldavis wrote:
Koatanga wrote:We just want players to play the game. What they do off the field is their business.

and that is how it should be for all athletes....at least in my opinion

I should qualify that. Famous athletes are role models, whether or not they want to be. As such I believe they should avoid negative behaviour such as doing drugs, driving drunk, shooting people, committing suicide or beating up their partner. But if they want to go to strip clubs, or church, or gay bars or whatever - that's their own business. Different people have different beliefs. Celebrate diversity.
Koatanga

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:59 pm

I think Shoju would ditch football altogether if this were to happen
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cleveland- ... --nfl.html
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:17 pm

Klaudandus wrote:I think Shoju would ditch football altogether if this were to happen

Can't believe Cleveland is considering moving up to take Manziel. We got our short QB for a 3rd. Don't people know QBs under 6' can't win Super Bowls?
Koatanga

Postby Shoju » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:05 am

Klaudandus wrote:I think Shoju would ditch football altogether if this were to happen

I'm so tired of Manziel. It's all the cleveland media talks about. I'm hoping now that Curly and Moe got the boot out the door, Farmer will establish some sanity. Hope, but I'm not sure it's belief yet.

I get why Manziel looks "good" as an option for cleveland. He gives us a rookie that the national media wants to see. WE might even get some prime time games out of it. Man, that'd be weird, watching a prime time Browns game not on a thursday?

But, I don't have much hope for Manziel being "a winner" at the NFL level. Go watch old tape of Archie Manning in College. ANd then watch Manziel. Wow... it's like... the same thing all over again?

If they signed Tebow, I would be done with the Browns. That would be the final circus theme song to run me out of town. There is no hope for a team that signs him with the idea that he's going to be their starting QB. It's just not going to happen.

Personally? I'd rather draft a QB that is a little less "finished" in the 2nd or 3rd round. Keep Campbell. Keep Hoyer. See what Hoyer can do. He looked pretty good while he was in there. See if he can do something with it. What's the worst that can happen? Another 4-12 season? Yeah... That'd be a shocker.

But draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd. Someone you aren't forced to put out there right away. Campbell was a servicable enough backup. Get am RB that can run the damn ball, and see what happens. If Hoyer Doesn't work, your other guy has had a season to develop, and learn, and study, and understand what K.S. is trying to do.

Of course, that's not what is going to happen. Johnny Football will end his 2014 season in a walking boot, just like RGIII, standing next to K.S.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... lc5C4SXAYM
Dale Hansen Unplugged: Celebrating our differences (on Michael Sam)

And the daily show's take on it
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-f ... ght-rights
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:30 am

Allballsdo Nostrikemez has signed with the Orioles.

THANK GOD. I didn't want him back in Cleveland. Way too unpredictable for me.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:03 pm

Last year for Women's hockey in the Winter Olympics?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shoju » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:33 am

Flex wrote:Last year for Women's hockey in the Winter Olympics?

They had women's hockey in the olympics?
Shoju

Postby Koatanga » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:48 pm

In New Zealand, Sky TV has added additional sports channels for Olympics coverage. At any given moment, there are two to three channels covering Curling. Ok, it's a sport, but each match is around 80 minutes and there are round-robin matches and semis and finals and all that.

The majority of other winter sports can be resolved in their entirety in the space of a few Curling matches. Skiing, snowboarding, luge/bobsled/skeleton, etc. takes place in a couple hours, max.

Curling not only goes on for days, but it's divided into men's and women's curling. What's the difference that requires a gender separation? I can see it in events where the men would dominate the women, such as snowboard freestyle where the men are doing 15 twists and flips and the women are praised for pulling off a 360 (seriously is there anything duller than women's freestyle snowboarding? Oh yeah - curling), but curling has no such gender bias.

Why can't they at least have mixed teams and cut the overall curling in half?
Koatanga

Postby Nooska » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:00 pm

On curling, the physical strength potential difference of the genders is an actual issue. There was an explanation of it on danish curling coverage (we have a LOT of that, because it was the only actual discipline we had a shot at getting anywhere near medals); a male curler and sweeper team can easily do a much harder take-out or runback, and can sweep a stone up to 5 yards longer (so there is a difference in potential technical tactics as well as you can sweep the stone further after it curls).
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Flex » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:08 pm

Curling is probably my favorite winter games sport after hockey. It is very fun to watch.
Flex

PreviousNext

Return to General