All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:34 am

So O'brien is going to Texans, cuz he got fed up with Penn St's Paterno people.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Teranoid » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:53 am

As you can imagine her account was deleted hours later.
Teranoid

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:31 pm

I dont follow hockey and even I know he's canadian.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:24 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby Teranoid » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:18 pm

Trent Richardson is without a shadow of a doubt the worst running back in the NFL right now.

Hoooooly shit.
Teranoid

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:40 pm

I guess the Browns did something smart for once.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Teranoid » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:07 pm

Only an Andy Reid lead team could be up 28 points and still lose in the playoffs.

What a joke.
Teranoid

Postby Nakama » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:52 pm

Teranoid wrote:Only an Andy Reid lead team could be up 28 points and still lose in the playoffs.

What a joke.

That was an epic collapse. I was frankly stunned once the Colts scored that 4th TD after the Chiefs had gotten so far ahead. KC gets a record 8 straight playoff losses, beating out the Detroit Lions for that honor.

Now to see whether my Pats can take whoever they face next weekend...

--Jed
Nakama

Postby Jabari » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:41 pm

Both those games were insane yesterday!

And in news that surprises absolutely nobody, Triplette makes another major error. The TV guys didn't catch it either. :roll: Luckily (for Bengals fans) it didn't matter, but easily could have.

(Protip: If you stop the clock for reviewing a play, the clock should be set to where you stopped it, not left 10 seconds later...)
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:39 pm

That's two bad picks, Dalton has to step up in these games...
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:33 pm

Andy Dalton is the redheaded version of Tony Romo.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Arnock » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:20 am

Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:37 am

Nakama wrote:
Teranoid wrote:Only an Andy Reid lead team could be up 28 points and still lose in the playoffs.

What a joke.

That was an epic collapse. I was frankly stunned once the Colts scored that 4th TD after the Chiefs had gotten so far ahead. KC gets a record 8 straight playoff losses, beating out the Detroit Lions for that honor.

Now to see whether my Pats can take whoever they face next weekend...

--Jed

I have never seen so many wounded chiefs since the massacre of wounded knee creek.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:58 am

The one thing that Browns fans have been begging for in a coach:

Someone with previous NFL Head Coaching experience.

In the "modern" history of the Browns (We'll even go back to say..... 1960's for this one), we have hired exactly one coach with previous NFL Head Coaching Experience, and even then, he wasn't a proven winner (Mangenious).

It's just always felt like we are going after the "hot shot coordinator" or the "big deal NCAA coach". WE've just never gone after a proven winner (As in that coach who has won the big game, as an NFL HC). And now, with the Indians showing what can happen when you get a "real" manager (Mr. Francona, explosion of free agent signings, good record, with rebuilding team), the Browns fans want it even more.

Until, you look at the leading "guy with head coaching experience" candidate. Josh McDaniels. Only a name like that could lead the Browns fans to beg for someone who is as conservative in play calling, boring on offense, lost as many big games as he won, hasn't coached in a few years, like the sweatervest himself, Jim Tressel.

I'm resigned to the next coach of the Browns being an epic failure.

I've already said, that if Josh McDaniels gets hired, and Johnny Football comes out in the draft, it's the marriage we all know is coming, the trainwreck we will all watch, and the failure is imminent.

Oh well, I guess, there is always the next coaching search.
Shoju

Postby Koatanga » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:06 pm

Very few teams get a coach who has proven to be good in the NFL, because teams have a tendency to hold on to those guys until the game passes them by and they are no longer as effective as they once were.

I can think of Holmgren in Seattle, Shanahan in Washington, Dungy with Indy, Vermiel with St. Louis, Jon Gruden with Tampa, and Parcells roaming around, but after that I'm hard-pressed to think of a Super Bowl head coach who went on to any sort of success with another team.

If you just want a guy who has coached in the NFL before, I'm pretty sure Dennis Erickson is available, but if you want winning coaches, they tend to be coveted. You might coax Chucky out of retirement, but not for Cleveland.

Generally when a successful head coach comes free, he wants the Coach/GM role because he's tired of butting heads with his GM over personnel moves on his former team. Very few if any coaches succeed in the HC/GM role.

Realistically, the only guys available are hot shot coordinators and big deal NCAA coaches.

Have a look at the head coaches of the playoff teams this year, and only Andy Reid is a recycled NFL head coach. The rest were coordinators or college coaches. I'm not counting Carroll as a former NFL head coach because he spent a while in college before returning, and because his departure from the NFL was fundamental to developing the philosophy which led to his subsequent success.

I'm just saying that that's where the successful head coaches are coming from. Guys with new ideas are ruling the roost. The NFL is in a state of transition from running to passing to now something of a hybrid and the likes of Shanahan aren't up with the times.

The biggest deal, I think, is the synergy between head coach and general manager. That's what has made Seattle such a deep team. The GM churns the lower roster more than the Amish churn butter. Hundreds of roster moves each year over the first couple of years was like panning for gold - if you process enough dirt you'll find some nuggets. Our receiving corps, for example, is Tate (2nd round), Baldwin (UDFA), Kearse (UDFA), Lockette (UDFA), and Walters (UDFA). Our GM keeps finding guys nobody else wants, like Brandon Browner from the CFL, or our QB who was drafted after Jacksonville (a team in desperate need of a QB) drafted a punter, or our 5th-round cornerback Richard Sherman.

Best bet for Cleveland would be to do what Seattle did - find an egotistical head coach who wants player control, then let that head coach influence the selection of the general manager, so that the two will be on the same page and can work together, then give them the time they need to put together a winner.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

PreviousNext

Return to General