All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:38 am

So, my weekly Tuesday NFL One Liner Round Up.

I hate Phillip Rivers and The Chargers. But what really bothered me, was Denver didn't seem that.... "GO GO GO" at the end of the game for a team that was losing.
Bears Beat Browns. Why? Because cleveland is a quarter short. Again.
What's the bigger story? How bad the Texans are? Or How Indy is winning with a crap run game?
Skins and falcons. So, The skins still lost with Cousins... I guess I should be rooting for him. There are talks that the Browns are going to make a push to trade for him in the Offseason (who knows how credible that is), to have a Cousins / Hoyer / Campbell Competition in Camp
Fins beat the Pats. Good. F U Brady
Vikings throttle Eagles. That has to hurt. I mean. The Vikes have been putrid on offense, and you let them ring up 48? good job.
Seachickens blank the giants, and 12 people get 35K!
Niners beat bucks. Nothing to see here. The better team did the thing it was supposed to do.
Bills beat Jags. Could the Bills be good next year? They've shown signs of life this year with RC QB and HC.
Chiefs beat Raiders. The story here isn't the win. It's the FIFTY SIX that the most boring Offense in the league dropped on Oakland.
Panthers Beat Jets. again, not a surpise. The bigger surpsie is that it was only by 10.
Packers beat the boys. And the tears taste so good.
Cards beat the Titans. AZ is quietly looking pretty good this season. A shame that they are in such a rough spot to get to the playoffs.
Rams beat Saints. Well, I figured Drew Brees would demol... wait. What? Rams win? REALLY? would never have picked them.
Steelers beat bengels, and attempt to murder punter. Broken jaw, broken vertebrae in neck. ouch.
Ravens beat Lions. Hi. I'm a placekicker. I like to kick. I like to kick a lot.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5064
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Flex » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:54 am

Image

One week score 3 touchdowns in 2 minutes to win a game you should've lost. Next week kick 6 field goals to win a game you should've lost.

All you need to do is just get into the playoffs and who knows what can happen.

The best thing to happen to the Redskins: Cousins showed he can be an effective Quarterback.
The worst thing to happen to the Redskins: Cousins showed he can be an effective Quarterback.

Yea he accounted for three of their seven turnovers but first start against a real NFL defense since last year and he had much better offensive production than Robert has this year. Fun times to be in DC.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:55 am

If they don't suspend that steelers guy, then the NFL is not interested in protecting its players, it's interesting in protecting WRs and QBs, because that's what attracts the money.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9340
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: All about sports

Postby Flex » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:01 am

The Ravens/Bengals game in week 17 could be a game that determines if the Bengals get the #2 Seed or out of the playoffs.

If the Dolphins win out, Ravens beat the Patriots, Bengals beat the Vikings and Patriots beat the Bills.

Has there been a game with that much swing?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:06 am

At least it makes for interesting football. The whole of the NFC Least should vacate their playoff spot and give it to the cardilulz
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9340
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:46 am

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the playoff situations that would unfold where a team could either be the #2 seed, or out of the playoffs. That just seems broken.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5064
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Flex » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:05 am

Ar least the AFC is filled with teams that deserve it. The NFC has one playoff team it seems.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:15 am

Flex wrote:Ar least the AFC is filled with teams that deserve it. The NFC has one playoff team it seems.


It's at least 3, possibly 4. Seachikens, 49rs and Saints. Would not mind seeing Panthers get in as a wild card.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9340
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: All about sports

Postby Flex » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:29 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Flex wrote:Ar least the AFC is filled with teams that deserve it. The NFC has one playoff team it seems.


It's at least 3, possibly 4. Seachikens, 49rs and Saints. Would not mind seeing Panthers get in as a wild card.


Niners are like Ravens West Coast Edition but replace Tucker with Vernon Davis bailing out a mediocre offense. Saints can't play away from Dome Sweet Dome. Panthers are a wild card in a literal sense. In a general the AFC has teams that want to get into the playoffs and win, the NFC has that in the Seahawks and everyone else is sorta good enough to get in but not showing the ability to be killers.

As an aside I think Cam will be one of the best quarterbacks in the league once the current old guard retires if he continues to play the way he has so far. He'll be better than Kap, better than Luck, miles better than RG3 and will be fighting with Wilson for best young QB. So it'll basically be Rodgers, Brees, then Cam and Wilson.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:19 pm

The dropoff after Denver is just as big if not bigger than the dropoff after Seattle (and Seattle is better than Denver), especially in a world with a Gronkless NE and a Wayneless IND.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 6460
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:25 pm

Klaudandus wrote:If they don't suspend that steelers guy, then the NFL is not interested in protecting its players, it's interesting in protecting WRs and QBs, because that's what attracts the money.

Their rules generally center on protecting defenseless players. He was not defenseless. I really wish he wouldn't have hit him in the head, and a fine wouldn't surprise me, but even that is a bad decision. A suspension seems a bit ridiculous.

If you run into position to make a tackle and aren't looking in front if you, you are going to get blown up. That's true starting in pop warner, protect yourself ffs.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 6460
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:13 am

Fridmarr wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:If they don't suspend that steelers guy, then the NFL is not interested in protecting its players, it's interesting in protecting WRs and QBs, because that's what attracts the money.

Their rules generally center on protecting defenseless players. He was not defenseless. I really wish he wouldn't have hit him in the head, and a fine wouldn't surprise me, but even that is a bad decision. A suspension seems a bit ridiculous.

If you run into position to make a tackle and aren't looking in front if you, you are going to get blown up. That's true starting in pop warner, protect yourself ffs.


The NFL rulebook would like to have a word with you.

Article 6: Unnecessary Roughness. There shall be no unnecessary roughness. This shall include, but will not be limited
to:

(h) a kicker/punter, who is standing still or fading backward after the ball has been kicked, is out of the play and must not be unnecessarily contacted by the receiving team through the end of the down or until he assumes a distinctly defensive position. However, a kicker/punter is a defenseless player through the conclusion of the down (see Article 7;
(i) using any part of a player’s helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/‖hairline‖ parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily

Source:https://www.nfl.info/download/2012MediaGuides/2013%20NFL%20Rule%20Book.pdf
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9340
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: All about sports

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:14 am

Sorry, my post was misleading.  I didn't mean it wasn't against the rules, the NFL pretty quickly made it clear that it was.  My point was that he was not defenseless (in the literal sense) so the only reason this is an issue at all is because he's a punter.  Contrary to your assertion that the NFL must suspend the guy that hit him, or it only cares about WRs and QBs, the only reason this is an issue at all is because he is not either of those positions (among others).
 
As I said, I expect a fine which I disagree with because I think the rule is terrible, but a suspension for a first time offense given the mitigating circumstances seems to be overboard to me.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 6460
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Flex » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:33 am

He'd have been taken out of the play by the Steeler player standing there and having the punter run into him, the blind side leveling was unneeded.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:38 am

Flex wrote:the blind side leveling was unneeded.


That's the unnecessary roughness part.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9340
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: All about sports

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:34 pm

No, the unnecessary roughness part is the hit to the head. You repeat that situation 1000 times with 1000 different players and that punter gets leveled in every single one of them, there's zero question of that. It might be a shoulder to the chest (which is what the NFL wants, but glosses over the fact that it is the most dangerous hit because it FORCES the tackler/blocker to lower his head) which would not be illegal, but he's getting blown up either way. Really it's almost impossible to not level him on that play though. He needs to be blocked because he's trying to make a tackle, and since he's not looking and running upright, he's essentially going to run into a wall without looking which is going to result in a pancake even if the blocker just stands there.

Garvin was indeed fined:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html

Honestly, if the NFL wants to consider punters and kickers as defenseless players, then the NFL should require the punters/kickers to run off the field after they kick. The NFL is setting themselves up for trouble by declaring a player as defenseless and then letting him take part in the tackling/blocking.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 6460
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Flex » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:18 pm

Go Cam Go!
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:18 pm

Flex wrote:Go Cam Go!


And the Cardilulz might knock out the Saints with this unlikely win against the Seachickens.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9340
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: All about sports

Postby Flex » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:00 am

I've never seen two teams come out flatter with something to play for than the Ravens and Bears.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:04 am

Flex wrote:I've never seen two teams come out flatter with something to play for than the Ravens and Bears.


I'd say the Detroit Lions as well... hope Schwartz gets fired
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9340
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:14 am

So the browns lost. again. Shocker.
Denver is the best team in the league.
Indianapolis confounds me.
Philadelphia, and Chip Kelly sure do make for entertaining football. That whole "blitzkrieg" style offense seems to work pretty well as long as you aren't playing against Manning, in the middle of the greatest statistical season in history.
I hate the Steelers. And I hate that they still have a chance at the playoffs.
San Diego making the playoffs would only validate incorrect assumptions that the problem with the team was solely Norv Turner.
Tom Brady would be MVP if not for Manning in the AFC. He's done more with nothing than I thought he would.
Did the Giants / Lions game prove that the Giants aren't as bad as their record, that Lions aren't as good as their record, or that both teams have serious discipline problems? I say D. All of teh above.
ARZ beat seattle in seattle. If RL had achievements, that would be a feat of strength.
Buffalo, I had to watch this game, at a family function. I still say Thad Lewis deserves a chance to be a starter somewhere. He continuously impresses me. His stats may not have been "great" yesterday, but he looked better than the stats.
Pacman Jones plays for the Bengals? WTF?! How did I not know he was still in the league?
STL is going to be a serious threat to that division if/when they ever get a franchise QB not made out of China.
Dallas is going to get destroyed next week. If that is what happens when you face the skins in a must win game, you are going to get run right the fuck over by a better team.
Tennessee beats jax, probably saving their coaches job.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5064
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:28 am

Probably because he hasnt been arrested in a while. That said, given his past, its a given he would play for the State Pen. Bengals. =P
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9340
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Image

Von Miller is down and out with a torn ACL...weakening even more an already weak Broncos defense.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9340
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: All about sports

Postby Flex » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:12 pm

Having been in DC for the reign of Norv. Norv as a head coach can make any good team mediocre and keep it there.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:45 pm

Flex wrote:Having been in DC for the reign of Norv. Norv as a head coach can make any good team mediocre and keep it there.


I'm not arguing that. He may be a mediocre head coach. But the problems in San Diego didn't start and end with Norv is all I'm saying. They are still a pretty mediocre team, who has one hell of a w17 game to win if they want a chance at a winning season or the playoffs.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5064
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], maulall and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], maulall and 1 guest