All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:38 am

So, my weekly Tuesday NFL One Liner Round Up.

I hate Phillip Rivers and The Chargers. But what really bothered me, was Denver didn't seem that.... "GO GO GO" at the end of the game for a team that was losing.
Bears Beat Browns. Why? Because cleveland is a quarter short. Again.
What's the bigger story? How bad the Texans are? Or How Indy is winning with a crap run game?
Skins and falcons. So, The skins still lost with Cousins... I guess I should be rooting for him. There are talks that the Browns are going to make a push to trade for him in the Offseason (who knows how credible that is), to have a Cousins / Hoyer / Campbell Competition in Camp
Fins beat the Pats. Good. F U Brady
Vikings throttle Eagles. That has to hurt. I mean. The Vikes have been putrid on offense, and you let them ring up 48? good job.
Seachickens blank the giants, and 12 people get 35K!
Niners beat bucks. Nothing to see here. The better team did the thing it was supposed to do.
Bills beat Jags. Could the Bills be good next year? They've shown signs of life this year with RC QB and HC.
Chiefs beat Raiders. The story here isn't the win. It's the FIFTY SIX that the most boring Offense in the league dropped on Oakland.
Panthers Beat Jets. again, not a surpise. The bigger surpsie is that it was only by 10.
Packers beat the boys. And the tears taste so good.
Cards beat the Titans. AZ is quietly looking pretty good this season. A shame that they are in such a rough spot to get to the playoffs.
Rams beat Saints. Well, I figured Drew Brees would demol... wait. What? Rams win? REALLY? would never have picked them.
Steelers beat bengels, and attempt to murder punter. Broken jaw, broken vertebrae in neck. ouch.
Ravens beat Lions. Hi. I'm a placekicker. I like to kick. I like to kick a lot.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:54 am

One week score 3 touchdowns in 2 minutes to win a game you should've lost. Next week kick 6 field goals to win a game you should've lost.

All you need to do is just get into the playoffs and who knows what can happen.

The best thing to happen to the Redskins: Cousins showed he can be an effective Quarterback.
The worst thing to happen to the Redskins: Cousins showed he can be an effective Quarterback.

Yea he accounted for three of their seven turnovers but first start against a real NFL defense since last year and he had much better offensive production than Robert has this year. Fun times to be in DC.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:55 am

If they don't suspend that steelers guy, then the NFL is not interested in protecting its players, it's interesting in protecting WRs and QBs, because that's what attracts the money.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:01 am

The Ravens/Bengals game in week 17 could be a game that determines if the Bengals get the #2 Seed or out of the playoffs.

If the Dolphins win out, Ravens beat the Patriots, Bengals beat the Vikings and Patriots beat the Bills.

Has there been a game with that much swing?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:06 am

At least it makes for interesting football. The whole of the NFC Least should vacate their playoff spot and give it to the cardilulz
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:46 am

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the playoff situations that would unfold where a team could either be the #2 seed, or out of the playoffs. That just seems broken.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:05 am

Ar least the AFC is filled with teams that deserve it. The NFC has one playoff team it seems.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:15 am

Flex wrote:Ar least the AFC is filled with teams that deserve it. The NFC has one playoff team it seems.

It's at least 3, possibly 4. Seachikens, 49rs and Saints. Would not mind seeing Panthers get in as a wild card.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:29 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Flex wrote:Ar least the AFC is filled with teams that deserve it. The NFC has one playoff team it seems.

It's at least 3, possibly 4. Seachikens, 49rs and Saints. Would not mind seeing Panthers get in as a wild card.

Niners are like Ravens West Coast Edition but replace Tucker with Vernon Davis bailing out a mediocre offense. Saints can't play away from Dome Sweet Dome. Panthers are a wild card in a literal sense. In a general the AFC has teams that want to get into the playoffs and win, the NFC has that in the Seahawks and everyone else is sorta good enough to get in but not showing the ability to be killers.

As an aside I think Cam will be one of the best quarterbacks in the league once the current old guard retires if he continues to play the way he has so far. He'll be better than Kap, better than Luck, miles better than RG3 and will be fighting with Wilson for best young QB. So it'll basically be Rodgers, Brees, then Cam and Wilson.
Flex

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:19 pm

The dropoff after Denver is just as big if not bigger than the dropoff after Seattle (and Seattle is better than Denver), especially in a world with a Gronkless NE and a Wayneless IND.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:25 pm

Klaudandus wrote:If they don't suspend that steelers guy, then the NFL is not interested in protecting its players, it's interesting in protecting WRs and QBs, because that's what attracts the money.

Their rules generally center on protecting defenseless players. He was not defenseless. I really wish he wouldn't have hit him in the head, and a fine wouldn't surprise me, but even that is a bad decision. A suspension seems a bit ridiculous.

If you run into position to make a tackle and aren't looking in front if you, you are going to get blown up. That's true starting in pop warner, protect yourself ffs.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:13 am

Fridmarr wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:If they don't suspend that steelers guy, then the NFL is not interested in protecting its players, it's interesting in protecting WRs and QBs, because that's what attracts the money.

Their rules generally center on protecting defenseless players. He was not defenseless. I really wish he wouldn't have hit him in the head, and a fine wouldn't surprise me, but even that is a bad decision. A suspension seems a bit ridiculous.

If you run into position to make a tackle and aren't looking in front if you, you are going to get blown up. That's true starting in pop warner, protect yourself ffs.

The NFL rulebook would like to have a word with you.

Article 6: Unnecessary Roughness. There shall be no unnecessary roughness. This shall include, but will not be limited
to:

(h) a kicker/punter, who is standing still or fading backward after the ball has been kicked, is out of the play and must not be unnecessarily contacted by the receiving team through the end of the down or until he assumes a distinctly defensive position. However, a kicker/punter is a defenseless player through the conclusion of the down (see Article 7;
(i) using any part of a player’s helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/‖hairline‖ parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily

Source:https://www.nfl.info/download/2012MediaGuides/2013%20NFL%20Rule%20Book.pdf
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:14 am

Sorry, my post was misleading.  I didn't mean it wasn't against the rules, the NFL pretty quickly made it clear that it was.  My point was that he was not defenseless (in the literal sense) so the only reason this is an issue at all is because he's a punter.  Contrary to your assertion that the NFL must suspend the guy that hit him, or it only cares about WRs and QBs, the only reason this is an issue at all is because he is not either of those positions (among others).

As I said, I expect a fine which I disagree with because I think the rule is terrible, but a suspension for a first time offense given the mitigating circumstances seems to be overboard to me.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Flex » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:33 am

He'd have been taken out of the play by the Steeler player standing there and having the punter run into him, the blind side leveling was unneeded.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:38 am

Flex wrote:the blind side leveling was unneeded.

That's the unnecessary roughness part.
---
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to General