Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:29 pm

Teranoid wrote:The NFL owes the Browns an apology and the Browns owe anyone who ever bought a ticket or considered themselves a fan of the team an apology for being one of the shittiest franchises in football year in and year out.

Reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhW6nSLSq6Y
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:55 am

Teranoid wrote:The NFL owes the Browns an apology and the Browns owe anyone who ever bought a ticket or considered themselves a fan of the team an apology for being one of the shittiest franchises in football year in and year out.

Only for the past 14 seasons. The last 14 seasons since "the return" have really painted a picture of the browns that isn't that accurate. In the 14 seasons prior to the 1995 season (which was meaningless, since everything went to shit halfway through when modell pulled the plug),

1994 - 11-5
1993 - 7-9
1992 - 7-9
1991 - 6-10
1990 - 3-13
1989 - 9-6-1
1988 - 10-6
1987 - 10-5
1986 - 12-4
1985 - 8-8
1984 - 5-11
1983 - 9-7
1982 - 4-5 (and made playoffs in strike shortened season)
1981 - 5-11

So, while they weren't "amazing", they were hardly a joke. Adding more season, only strengthens the argument that they were at best a solid tean, at worst a mediocre team that rebuilt in predictable ebbs and flows.

But the past 14 seasons have been abysmal. And at this point, it's starting to erode the fan base, in noticeable ways. The bars around my home are getting "empty" earlier and earlier in the season over the past couple of years. Normally, they are packed, the streets are packed, and the games are a good time, right up until the end of the season. The past two seasons, there has been a steady decline int he amount of people in the bars.

EDIT:

Also, I just want to say that I'm a little disappointed in the final BCS standings. some of the teams that ended up in them, vs teams that were left out, vs teams that dropped or stayed higher than they should have. I'm glad this is the last time we have to deal with this shit.

But, I was thoroughly pleased to watch the Falcons demolish the huskies Friday night. God that is still the best sporting moment of my weekend.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:03 am

Shoju wrote:

Only for the past 14 seasons. The last 14 seasons since "the return" have really painted a picture of the browns that isn't that accurate.

That's almost as amusing as Redskins fans who still think of the team as a top tier franchise because they have Super Bowl wins from 2 decades ago. Which reminds me, DC sports radio when the Redskins drama pops out is amazing.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:55 am

Have they fired Shanahan yet?
---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:31 pm

Not yet!

Shanny Watch 2013: Shannpocalypse
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Koatanga » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:50 pm

Are they going to fire their GM while they're at it? Trading 3 first-rounders for RGIII, who is a consensus 3rd (at best) QB from that draft class, was a terrible move.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Shoju » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:32 am

Flex wrote:
Shoju wrote:

Only for the past 14 seasons. The last 14 seasons since "the return" have really painted a picture of the browns that isn't that accurate.

That's almost as amusing as Redskins fans who still think of the team as a top tier franchise because they have Super Bowl wins from 2 decades ago. Which reminds me, DC sports radio when the Redskins drama pops out is amazing.

Oh, I don't think they are a top tier organization. They haven't been since AT LEAST 1994, and you could really argue that they were just a 'mediocre' franchise. But they certainly weren't the abysmal joke that they have been since.

Part of me really wishes the City of Cleveland would have let the Browns go to Baltimore, with the name, the records, the colors, and we start over. There are too many ghosts in the lore of the Browns that people have clung to for too long.

Does anyone really believe that if this franchise was a fresh Expansion franchise without the lore of the previous organization, it would have been given this license to suck so bad? I surely don't.
Shoju

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:34 pm

What would be the alternative though? Move it to a new city? I think there have been examples historically (in my life span) throughout the league that are comparable to the browns in terms of having a long stretch of bad teams. Heck, you don't even have to leave the state.

I can get your desire to separate from the past, but I don't necessarily think things would be any different from a tolerance of suckage perspective.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Shoju » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:23 am

Fridmarr wrote:What would be the alternative though? Move it to a new city? I think there have been examples historically (in my life span) throughout the league that are comparable to the browns in terms of having a long stretch of bad teams. Heck, you don't even have to leave the state.

I can get your desire to separate from the past, but I don't necessarily think things would be any different from a tolerance of suckage perspective.

The tolerance of suckage would be far smaller here in Ohio, as most people always fall back on the adage of "It's the Browns. They were great, they'll be great again. We just have to be patient."

There is a well known cleveland sports blog called waiting for next year. I don't know. Maybe it wouldn't be different. Part of me is just so tired of the way things have been that I'd do anything right now for a winner.

I honestly don't know what it's like to root for a team that has ever "won it all". I'm not a "big" buckeyes fan, so I can't even say that the NC's they've won in my life matter, and it's not like BGSU will ever have a chance at a national title. At this point, I can only hope that they pull off some sort of amazing stretch run, and get ranked in the top 15.
Shoju

Postby Fetzie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:59 pm

Don't know if anybody else here follows the English Premier League...

Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:43 pm

i know some teams, but I don't follow the EPL, so this is lost on me =P
---
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:00 pm

Shoju wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:What would be the alternative though? Move it to a new city? I think there have been examples historically (in my life span) throughout the league that are comparable to the browns in terms of having a long stretch of bad teams. Heck, you don't even have to leave the state.

The tolerance of suckage would be far smaller here in Ohio, as most people always fall back on the adage of "It's the Browns. They were great, they'll be great again. We just have to be patient."

There is a well known cleveland sports blog called waiting for next year. I don't know. Maybe it wouldn't be different. Part of me is just so tired of the way things have been that I'd do anything right now for a winner.

I honestly don't know what it's like to root for a team that has ever "won it all". I'm not a "big" buckeyes fan, so I can't even say that the NC's they've won in my life matter, and it's not like BGSU will ever have a chance at a national title. At this point, I can only hope that they pull off some sort of amazing stretch run, and get ranked in the top 15.

In Seattle we've dealt with decades of mediocrity. Rarely bad enough to get a good draft pick, but not good enough to make the post-season. At one point we had the NFL's longest playoffs drought.

That changed when Mike Holmgren came in, but there was a wrench in the works in the form of Bob Whitsitt who interfered with Holmgren's GM role until Holmgren "resigned" the GM role and was just the head coach. There was still friction and meddling until Trader Bob left, to be replaced by Tim Ruskell, affectionately known as "Timmay" (from South Park) because other than finding Lofa Tatupu, his drafts were pretty retarded.

Still we had managed to assemble the best offensive line in NFL history, which Shaun Alexander exploited to an MVP season and our first Super Bowl appearance. Timmay subsequently committed GM-suicide by losing Super Guard Steve Hutchinson, allowing him to bail to Minnesota where he paved the way for Adrian Peterson.

Seattle went through a bajillion left guards trying to replace Hutchinson, but the OL deteriorated and eventually Timmay was sacked.

It was at that point someone in Seattle had a stroke of genius. Rather than hiring a GM and then getting a coach who wanted to work with him, Seattle hired a coach and let him select the GM he wanted to work with. They got Pete Carroll, with his cult-of-personality "always compete" rah-rah spirit, who brought in a young GM from Green Bay who showed an excellent eye for talent. John Schneider, our current GM, used principles from gold mining - run enough material through the sluice box and you're bound to turn up a nugget every now and again - and managed to build quality depth down to the last man within 3 years of a complete rebuild.

As of this post, the Seahawks are #1 in NFL power rankings and close to securing home-field advantage throughout the playoffs, where our rabid fan base tilts the field dramatically in our favour.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Fetzie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Klaudandus wrote:i know some teams, but I don't follow the EPL, so this is lost on me =P

Man Utd are the current league champions and haven't finished outside the top 5 for ages. They are floudering mid-table halfway through the season.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:12 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:01 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... --mlb.html

TLDR: MLB player who committed suicide was suffering from CTE. I've read that concussions seem to be spiking at the youth and high school level, with girls having nearly double the rate for sports that they both play. Seems like this is something that's going to be need to be tackled at a systemic level for just about every contact sport.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General