Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:53 pm

heh well it's a system, I'm not sure how equitable it would be, and the hurdles to implement something like that even if the NCAA wanted too are many and high.

I don't mind the concept of an NCAA regulating collegiate sports to keep the system fair and the leagues healthy, the problem is the implementation.

First of all, the NCAA are bullies. They govern over the athletic programs but are not in any way accountable to the athletes and barely the schools. Not surprisingly in that sort of system, you end up with a bit of a tyrannical oligarchy.

A few years back, Nebraska wanted to give their athletes a stipend, the NCAA told them no. Nebraska pursued it anyhow, and the NCAA informed them that paying a stipend would cause them to be removed from the NCAA and any team that played them would also be removed from the NCAA, effectively ending Nebraska's athletic program if they continued.

When an administration is found in violation of the rules, the punishment mostly lands on the current players, no matter how long ago the "crime" was. If the players try to change schools to avoid the punishment for a crime that they weren't any part of, they are (with very few exceptions) punished again with a year of ineligibility.

If a coach (who often recruits players to play in "their system") decides to leave the school for more money or whatever, the player must stay behind or be punished for leaving.

Then there's all the draconian sorts of rules and enforcement like you have with Johnny. I mean, yes he should have known what he was doing was a violation. These sorts of cases create headlines and happen quite often. I'm sure the players are taught about this sort of thing as well. On the other hand, the NCAA is so hypocritical about this.

If I'm a student at A&M I could take a pic of Manziel doing something stupid and probably sell it to a national rag for a chunk of change. Any student can make money off of Johnny Manziel...except Johnny Manziel. Yet the NCAA want's to keep pounding the "he's a student" mantra, it's bullshit.

I get that he's not exactly playing for free, as his education, room and board are paid for. I understand that opening up a system where the players could get endorsements and the like will just reduce college football to a few schools buying recruits, but certainly there's a happy medium to be reached here with a little common sense and a governing body that's actually accountable to the groups that they govern.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:59 am

I'm not saying the NCAA is not wrong! There's plenty of wrong with it!

I think coaches that quit/change colleges should be barred from working at the school they're going to for a year.

I think that players that come to a college with the idea of being under a coach and then that coach bolts, should be eligible to transfer to another school without penalty.

Heck, the NCAA is a hypocrite: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... 10661.html

However... Johnny Manziel still did wrong! And I'm a goddamn Aggie!
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:22 am

I'm of the opinion that the NCAA is a joke. it's a sham, and I REALLY hope that the class action lawsuit against them ends with a landslide victory for the Plaintiffs.

Collegiate Sports is the only thing on a college campus where you are actively BARRED from making any money off of a set of skills that you posses, even while on scholarship.

I can speak with direct knowledge that I was not only allowed, but encouraged by my College to take side jobs, and earn cash while I was enrolled, using the knowledge I was learning at the University, while the University was picking up the dime for my expenses. My Academic Advisor, Professor's, Hell, even the DEAN OF ADMISSIONS offered me sidework.

I can speak with direct knowledge that while my sister's roommate was enrolled at Ohio State, and in the OSU Symphony (or whatever they call their Orchestra), she played gigs in local places, making money, and she was on Scholarship to OSU. It's how she paid for the other things that her scholarship DIDN'T cover while going to school.

I know that Actors, and Actresses, and Comedians, and all other manner of people have gone to school, on scholarship, while famous (Wasn't it River's Cuomo from Weezer who went Ivy League on an Academic Scholarship?), and making money.

But, Because College Athletics (okay, in most cases just basketball, and Football) are BIG BUSINESS for the NCAA, they don't want to lose any of that pie. Video Games, Jersey Sales, etc... that's a HUGE PIE that they currently don't have to share, and they can make all of it FOR FREE off of the indentured servitude of the "Student Athlete"

Getting paid for Appearances
Getting Paid for Autographs
Getting Free Stuff

Isn't that part of the Celebrity lifestyle that they foster? Isn't that the very culture that they have worked to cultivate to make their product (college sports) more equitable?

To me, I have absolutely no problem with what Manziel did. He shouldn't have done it, because he knows it's against the rules. But, If you want my opinion, I just don't care. I don't think that the NCAA should care. I didn't care that Bush got stuff at USC. I didn't care that Buckeyes Sold their Gold Pants, and got free Tattoos.

I do care that the NCAA seems to want to make sure that they are the only people profiting off the kids though.
Shoju

Postby halabar » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:41 am

It's really simple...

Players should get a default base "salary".

Players whose names and likenesses are used should get a cut.

Players should be able to sign autographs and such and get paid, as the market bears.

The problem is, what do you do about the other sports?

You do need to make sure all schools are paying the same, otherwise the boosters will run amuck.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:51 am

All the other sports are leeching off the football programs, and the basketball program to a lesser degree.

Ask the guy in the swimming team. Ask the guy in the tennis program.

The incoming money from football is what pays for the other sports programs.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:44 am

Klaudandus wrote:All the other sports are leeching off the football programs, and the basketball program to a lesser degree.

Ask the guy in the swimming team. Ask the guy in the tennis program.

The incoming money from football is what pays for the other sports programs.

This has made me look at my opinion about this topic over the past couple of years. Originally, I was of the opinion "PAY EM!" But, that would "hurt" the other sports. But something needs to be done. Barring a kid from making money off the celebrity that they earned is just ridiculous. The NCAA/Universities pocketing all the money from NCAA Licensed Video Games featuring the likeness of the "Student Athlete" is also ridiculous. This isn't the 1950's when people wearing Jersey's was not a common sight, or when the majority of your income came from ticket sales. This is the digital age, and they are (as Bilas proved) doing EVERYTHING they can to bilk money out of the likeness of a Student Athlete, while working hard to ensure that the Student Athlete can't capitalize on it themselves.

Honestly? I'm all for endorsement deals, and allowing kids to accept money for appearances and Autographs, and opening up the rules on gifts a little. That works for all sports, all athletes. Just because the main stream society doesn't pay serious attention to a sport doesn't mean it doesn't have fans. And where there are fans, there are endorsement deals. No, they won't be comparably equitable deals comparing FB & Hoops to Lacrosse, and Swimming. But if the kid can get an endorsement deal? They should be allowed.

If someone wants to pay them 7500 bucks to sign a ton of merch? Well, that's fine. Why is it ok for someone to sell an autograph that they get at a game, or at an event, for money, and profit on it, but the guy doing the signing isn't? That just boggles my mind.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:59 am

Like I said earlier the NFL and NBA need to really do what both MLB and NHL already do.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:01 pm

Well endorsements suffer from similar problems.  Big schools will already have endorsements lined up for recruits.  It's just a way to funnel money to recruits which results a league that is much less compelling than it is now.  It's no different than a booster handing a kid money to go to school X, which is all any sort of endorsement system will become.

In big schools other sports get to leech off of football, but many football programs aren't even profitable when you step away from the BCS division (or even some fringe schools in that division).  It's not a simple issue to solve, but the current solution could easily be improved.

Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Koatanga » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:54 pm

halabar wrote:It's really simple...

Players should be able to sign autographs and such and get paid, as the market bears.

You do need to make sure all schools are paying the same, otherwise the boosters will run amuck.

The NCAA should be that regulatory agency.

If they operated as an agent for all college players, then they could broker sponsorship deals for them on local and national levels. If the money for those endorsements and signature merchandise and etc. went into a pool, combined with NCAA's income from TV rights, etc., then a portion of it could be earmarked for other sports, some could go to competition-evening pools, such that Big 10 schools would share a portion of the profits from all Big 10 games, and a portion could go back to the players to reward them for earning the money in the first place.

Under that arrangement, players would get used to dealing with an agent and be exposed to the business side of being a professional athlete, smoothing their transition into the professional ranks. They would still have the regular agents for brokering their professional contracts.

Everybody wins, and the NCAA doesn't have to be a draconian douchebag.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby halabar » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:21 pm

Koatanga wrote:
halabar wrote:It's really simple...

The NCAA should be that regulatory agency.

If they operated as an agent for all college players, then they could broker sponsorship deals for them on local and national levels. If the money for those endorsements and signature merchandise and etc. went into a pool, combined with NCAA's income from TV rights, etc., then a portion of it could be earmarked for other sports, some could go to competition-evening pools, such that Big 10 schools would share a portion of the profits from all Big 10 games, and a portion could go back to the players to reward them for earning the money in the first place.

Under that arrangement, players would get used to dealing with an agent and be exposed to the business side of being a professional athlete, smoothing their transition into the professional ranks. They would still have the regular agents for brokering their professional contracts.

Everybody wins, and the NCAA doesn't have to be a draconian douchebag.

Sure, as long as you fire all the current administration of the NCAA and start over, but the current jerks in those seats would never do the job well. (Get rid of the guys in charge of the various conferences as well, since that's pretty corrupt as well).
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Flex » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:58 am

We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shoju » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:58 am

Effing Tigers Swept through Cleveland. That was.... Painful.

At least we're still in the mix for the WC. I don't know if 7 games back is a lead we can overcome, and there are rumors swirling (no hard evidence) that the Tribe and Phils are working on a Waiver Trade for Michael Young. How much fire is under that smoke remains to be seen.

Hey, at least the Browns won?
Shoju

Postby Flex » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:01 am

Shoju wrote:Effing Tigers Swept through Cleveland. That was.... Painful.

At least we're still in the mix for the WC. I don't know if 7 games back is a lead we can overcome, and there are rumors swirling (no hard evidence) that the Tribe and Phils are working on a Waiver Trade for Michael Young. How much fire is under that smoke remains to be seen.

Look out 2008 Lions. The Browns are out for you!
Flex

Postby Shoju » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:32 am

Flex wrote:
Shoju wrote:Effing Tigers Swept through Cleveland. That was.... Painful.

Look out 2008 Lions. The Browns are out for you!

That wouldn't surprise me any more than them going 13-3 and winning the division. Last night, Weeden looked REALLY efficient, and we do have a good OC (Turner was a great OC in Dallas, with a track record of developing QB's), but I'm not 100% sure that I'm sold on Weeden, or Hoyer, or Campbell. Richardson didn't play, so I'm not sure about the Running game, but holy shit travis benjamin is insanely fast.
Shoju

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:51 am

I think that severely underestimates how surprising a 13-3 season from the browns would be :D
Fridmarr
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General