All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:41 am

Nakama wrote:
Shoju wrote:A couple of responses to topics and a Tribe note.

I'm very happy that the tribe picked up Giambi. He doesn't hit well, but he's had several clutch hits this season. He only came because Francona was willing to tutor him to be a coach / manager, and many of the younger guys on the team say he is a great source of knowledge in the clubhouse, and he's been great to have around. When you are building to make a team a contender, sometimes, you need that grizzled veteran presence to help keep things level headed. And honestly? I had forgotten that he was a PED user until my 16 y/o brought it up. I had forgotten. It's amazing what you can forget when it's not shoved in your face every day.

On the Rays? Man, I love that team. I love that they prove that you don't need a 100+M payroll to compete. I love that Maddon as a manager. What a great guy. And Thank you to the Ump last night for giving them first place again.

On the Bucs, My son and I are rooting for them. I'm not a fan of them, but I like HUrdle as a manager. Every time I hear him talk, He makes me like him more. I'll be rooting for them, right up until they play the rays or the tribe.

As far as A-Rod is concerned, if he REALLY did tamper with the biogenesis case by trying to intimidate witnesses, and purchase documents to keep them away from them, I hope to god that they throw the book at him. Crush him underfoot, ban him for life. If Rose can be banned for Gambling, never to see the inside of the Hall as a member, I don't want A-Rod anywhere near that place.

Damn your Indians for keeping up with the Royals! We can't be the surprise of the season with both you and the Tigers winning games the same time we have a 9 game winning streak! :)

A-Rod needs to just go away, forever. I sincerely doubt he's even vaguely clean on any aspect of the Biogenesis case.

--Jed

I'm just hoping that we stay relevant this season. This wasn't even the season that the Front Office had projected would be a "good" season for us. This was supposed to be the "lets make some moves, find some players that might work, and plan for 2014 as a run."

But, they've found some good pieces, and.... some not so good pieces. Raburn is CLUTCH and is quickly becoming a fan favorite for both his play, and his "I don't have to play every day to contribute, and I'm ok with that" work ethic. He makes the most of his opportunities, a quality that will endear you to the fans of Cleveland quickly. Swisher, has been a great addition, even if his numbers are down. Bourn is pretty solid, and most fans want to keep him. Stubbs is surprising people with his defense, even when his bat is worthless. Reynolds.... Well... Yeah. Interesting. He is still well liked. There is a lot of Apathy right now about his play. Kazmir is liked. Allballsdo Nostrikemez isn't the villain he was last year.

And Francona? Well... It would be hard to find a coach / manager that Cleveland has had in recent memory that is as well liked this early in his tenure. Last one I can think of would be Charlie Manuel, but I don't even know if he was this well liked.

And The news late last night, was that talks have stalled between A-Fraud and MLB. He wants his money, he doesn't want that long of a suspension, and he's just being the typical Bitch Tit that Jose Canseco called him (on A-Fraud's BDay no less).
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:51 am

Yeah, of course he doesnt want a long suspenion, AKA life... that means he doesn't get the rest of the contract money if he gets banned.

If I was cooperstown, and there was a need to have an A-Rod photo somewhere in the hall, I'd put this one
just to show what a human puke he is.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fetzie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:55 am

Klaudandus wrote:Yeah, of course he doesnt want a long suspenion, AKA life... that means he doesn't get the rest of the contract money if he gets banned.

If I was cooperstown, and there was a need to have an A-Rod photo somewhere in the hall, I'd put this one
just to show what a human puke he is.

Is that a HANDBAG he is carrying?
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:59 am

yeah, they photoshopped a handbag on him

here is that play on youtube
http://youtu.be/pZNujnIojMw?t=32m39s

the game was suspended for about 30 mins after the yankees fan decided to throw bunch of beer bottles onto the field following the umps decision on that play

a-rod even tried to plead his case to the umps, saying that was his natural running motion that knocked down the ball rather than what the pic shows, that he wilfully and forcefully swatted at the arm of bronson arroyo to knock down the ball off the glove.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fetzie » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:41 am

Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:18 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:09 pm

Klaudandus wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--ncaa-probe-of-johnny-manziel-raises-questions-about-amateurism-rules-230350855.html
Make it Johnny Dumbass

I'll grant he knew, or should have known, that selling his signature was against the NCAA, but the NCAA is so fundamentally flawed I can't take their side of it. If Manziel blows a knee this year, he walks (limps) away with nothing while the NCAA and A&M made tens of millions off of him.

College athletes should be able to make independent endorsement deals with organisations not related to the University. If the NCAA wanted to police and control it, they could operate as an agency, taking a percentage of the endorsements as would a professional agent take a portion of a professional player's endorsements. I'd have no issue with that, and the NCAA would retain control over what gets endorsed to protect the image of college sports, and maintain agreements with major sponsors.

It's just ridiculous that so much money pours into college football and the players are barred from making any of it.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:21 pm

Koatanga wrote:I'll grant he knew, or should have known, that selling his signature was against the NCAA, but the NCAA is so fundamentally flawed I can't take their side of it.

Hear hear!
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:02 pm

Man sometimes umpires just make my skin crawl: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... 09577.html

TLDR: Guy takes a strike that looks maybe outside. He says something to the ump and and then steps out of the batters box, a fairly typical and subtle method to let an umpire know you disagree with the call, without showing him up. A few seconds later, the umpire calls strike 2, and then calls strike 3, both without pitches. The hitter was out of the box for about 9 seconds total before being rung up on two strikes using the delay rule. And of course, as soon as the batter says one word after that he's ejected. Absolutely ridiculous...
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby halabar » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:15 am

Koatanga wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--ncaa-probe-of-johnny-manziel-raises-questions-about-amateurism-rules-230350855.html
Make it Johnny Dumbass

I'll grant he knew, or should have known, that selling his signature was against the NCAA, but the NCAA is so fundamentally flawed I can't take their side of it. If Manziel blows a knee this year, he walks (limps) away with nothing while the NCAA and A&M made tens of millions off of him.

College athletes should be able to make independent endorsement deals with organisations not related to the University. If the NCAA wanted to police and control it, they could operate as an agency, taking a percentage of the endorsements as would a professional agent take a portion of a professional player's endorsements. I'd have no issue with that, and the NCAA would retain control over what gets endorsed to protect the image of college sports, and maintain agreements with major sponsors.

It's just ridiculous that so much money pours into college football and the players are barred from making any of it.

Totally agree that the player should make something, but that also opens a huge world of abuse and other issues.

However, Johnny Football is the next Todd Marinovich, if he even makes it that far.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:22 am

I think the NCAA has archaic rules, and that is a problem.

On the other hand, Johnny Manziel knew the rules and decided to break them.
The Manziel family is well-off
He has a full scholarship
He acts like he doesn't care about eligibility, the collegiate experience or anything else, given that he was partying the day before the Manning camp and decided to call-in sick rather than show up with a hangover to do his charity work.

As an Aggie, thank you for your on-the-field performances, but Gawd, you're making it very hard to like you off-the-field.
Can't say I didn't smile when he was kicked out of a UT frat house a couple of weekends ago. Dumbass.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:10 pm

The NBA and NFL just need to suck it up and implement some real junior leagues around the country and skip the entire NCAA joke.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Teranoid » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:10 pm

Wow. That list of 50 game suspensions is riddled with a bunch of nobodies. Wonder what it's like to take steroids and still be terrible.
Teranoid

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:58 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:40 pm

Klaudandus wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/broker-claims-paid-johnny-manziel-7-500-sign-202358867.html

Johnny Manziel... you ass!

I'll just copy/paste my previous response. Texas A&M is making an estimated $10 million from Manziel, but he's an ass for making $7,500. The NCAA must find some way to allow the athletes to share in the profits that are made from the athletes, even if only a small percentage of profits.

Just take 5% off the top distributed on a weighted basis per school, based on program revenue, which in turn is distributed to the athletes on a split proportional to NFL average salaries per position, defined as the position they play as at the end of the season, with a 60/40 split between starters and backups, whereby an injured starter and his replacement are both considered to be starters. Job done.

If I can come up with a quasi-equitable profit share in 5 minutes, just think of what the NCAA could do with all of their bright minds.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

PreviousNext

Return to General