Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Fetzie » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:53 am

Fridmarr wrote:It's hard to believe they didn't have a solution for that. Maybe they'll have to build domes.

They'd still have people dropping unconscious due to heat strokes left, right and centre outside of the stadia though.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:59 pm

Just ship those little personal air conditioner things with the tickets...

Is changing the location doable?
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Fetzie » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:27 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Just ship those little personal air conditioner things with the tickets...

Is changing the location doable?

They've done it before. Although it is fairly well known how corrupt the FIFA officials are, there have been so many FIFA officials suspended and/or fired because of corruption. Sepp Blatter and the committee would have to pay back the bribes they were paid by the Qataris.
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:42 pm

Yeah, it's the last part I was getting at. Is that realistic, or is this just going to be "made to work" regardless?
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Fetzie » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:49 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Yeah, it's the last part I was getting at. Is that realistic, or is this just going to be "made to work" regardless?

They'll probably lobby like mad, and change it at the last minute when it turns out that no manager on the planet is prepared to give up their best players for 6 league matches and 2-5 other competition matches in the winter with relatively high odds that they'll get injured and be put out of action for another 3 months.

Fetzie

Postby Flex » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:14 am

Fetzie wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:Yeah, it's the last part I was getting at. Is that realistic, or is this just going to be "made to work" regardless?

They'll probably lobby like mad, and change it at the last minute when it turns out that no manager on the planet is prepared to give up their best players for 6 league matches and 2-5 other competition matches in the winter with relatively high odds that they'll get injured and be put out of action for another 3 months.

That sounds as stupid as the NHL not wanting to stop play for the Winter Olympics. Unless I misunderstand how important the World Cup is.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:17 am

The world cup is very very important! Outside the US.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fetzie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:21 am

Flex wrote:
Fetzie wrote:

That sounds as stupid as the NHL not wanting to stop play for the Winter Olympics. Unless I misunderstand how important the World Cup is.

The championships that would suffer (concerning the English Premier League, disregarding the other leagues):

English Premier League
FA Cup
Capital One Cup
UEFA Champions' League
UEFA Europa Cup

All with big money payouts per round, and the league games in the winter are really important because they set you up for the second half of the season.

Fetzie

Postby Flex » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Braun suspended by MLB. If I believed in Karma I'd say he had it coming.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:26 pm

Flex wrote:Braun suspended by MLB. If I believed in Karma I'd say he had it coming.

Was hoping it would go farther than that.

Also, asshole still needs to apologize to the poor sample collector whose life was ruined thanks to him.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:11 pm

I hope the guy seriously looks into defamation chances.
Flex

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Hmm, I must have missed some of that. I remember the case, but I don't really remember Braun taking personal shots at him. Did he lose his job or something?

That said, if Braun plays again, it will be too soon.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:24 pm

Braun's statement following his successful appeal

"There were a lot of things that we learned about the collector, about the collection process, about the way that the entire thing worked, that made us very concerned and very suspicious about what could have actually happened."

It takes a special kind of scumbag to smear an innocent guy doing his job because you're trying to get away with something, or in this case, doing it after you got away with something.

Edit: A nice article by Buster Olney on the whole thing: http://espn.go.com/blog/buster-olney/post/_/id/2575
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:52 pm

Oh, he's a big scumbag, don't get me wrong. I do remember some of his "vindication" comments that were just terrible. I seem to vaguely remember me thinking Braun crossed the line about the tester (though potentially only because you guys brought it up, and I'm leading myself), but just can't remember any specifics, which is a little unusual for me.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:26 pm

---
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to General