Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:00 pm

Fetzie wrote:
Teranoid wrote:BUT SOCCER IS SUCH A SOPHISTICATED SPORT US PLEB AMERICANS CANNOT UNDERSTAND THE SUBTLE NUANCES OF THE FOOTBALL!

Yeah, and football in the back streets of one of the poorest and most violent areas of Brazil is exactly the same as in a 30k-100k seater stadium in a major European city...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... ltras.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... ssociation
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6189888.stm
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fetzie » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:29 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
Fetzie wrote:
Teranoid wrote:BUT SOCCER IS SUCH A SOPHISTICATED SPORT US PLEB AMERICANS CANNOT UNDERSTAND THE SUBTLE NUANCES OF THE FOOTBALL!

Yeah, and football in the back streets of one of the poorest and most violent areas of Brazil is exactly the same as in a 30k-100k seater stadium in a major European city...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... ltras.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... ssociation
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6189888.stm

The Italians are scary, I'll give you that. You couldn't pay me enough money to go watch a football match in Italy.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20025830 the guy got 16 weeks in jail, a 6 year ban from any FA football matches and a life-time ban from Leeds football ground.
The thing in France was in 1996, the entire country was awash with anti-everything-not-french sentiment.

Hooliganism was quite bad in England in the 80s and 90s, but it has been reined in quite a bit thanks to draconian punishments and travel bans for known hooligans. If you are a convicted hooligan part of the punishment is you can have to give up your passport before a major international game in a different country, just to make sure you don't go making any trouble.

I tried watching the Super Bowl a couple of years ago, but I just got really frustrated by the way the game seemed to stop every 10-20 seconds, and every ~2 minutes there was an advertisement break. They managed to string out a ~80 minute game to over 3 hours, and the half-time show was 30 minutes. There seemed to be more filler than there was game. Are the normal games any different?
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby theckhd » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:39 pm

Fetzie wrote:Are the normal games any different?

The commercials aren't as good?

And a shorter halftime, generally - no show, just talking heads.

My fiancee doesn't understand why I like watching soccer either. *shrug*
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Koatanga » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm

I sort of "get" soccer, but the downside is that it so often ends in a draw. The superfun trivia question is "which team in the last World Cup didn't lose any matches?", the answer being "New Zealand". We drew all our games, which was somehow very very exciting down here.

It's not as bad as Cricket, however. To play for 5 days and end up in a draw... Come on, if you can't figure out who won after 5 days, something's seriously wrong. If it was the most epic pairing of equal sides ever, then I could understand, but it happens all the time. When New Zealand plays India, we have no hope of a win; we just play to draw.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:11 pm

I enjoy just about any sport, and I like and played soccer as youth. I love american football though. The set play system is somewhat unique, and to me that adds more than enough excitement to offset the start/stop nature of it.

It's odd to me that the two sports are compared so often and seem to be polarizing among fans. Soccer is much closer to basketball and hockey than to american football.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:15 pm

I dont mind watching Soccer during the world cup, in which case I'll go with Die Mannschaft... oh yeah, and England whenever they play Argentina.

I agree with Fridmarr's analogy of soccer being closer to basketball/hockey than it is to football.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:55 am

Fetzie wrote:I tried watching the Super Bowl a couple of years ago, but I just got really frustrated by the way the game seemed to stop every 10-20 seconds, and every ~2 minutes there was an advertisement break. They managed to string out a ~80 minute game to over 3 hours, and the half-time show was 30 minutes. There seemed to be more filler than there was game. Are the normal games any different?

It is roughly 12 minutes of game action in a 60 minute of game time game spread out over 3+ hours. It is the ideal TV talking head sport. Short action, lots of replays and chance for commentary on every play.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Flex » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:28 am

So the NFL sent up a trial balloon about banning academically ineligible players from attending the scouting combine. Is this a punitive action against players whose only goal is to make it to the NFL and have to go through the college system?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:32 am

Not sure i see anything wrong with that.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:57 am

Klaudandus wrote:Not sure i see anything wrong with that.

My issue stems from:
NCAA college football is basically the NFL's minor league due to bizarre draft eligibility rules.
A decent subset of players have the skill to play in the NFL but not the desire to go to college, and to be honest, some wouldn't have gone to college if not for their football skills in the first place.
It perpetuates the false culture of the student-athlete the NCAA wants to project but we both know the two biggest money makers in football and basketball is far from that ideal.
It'll further encourage "cooking the books" for star athletes.

If there was a better alternate route for these players to get to the NFL, and NBA (the D league is a joke), I'd have less of an issue.
Flex

Postby Koatanga » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Flex wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:Not sure i see anything wrong with that.

My issue stems from:
NCAA college football is basically the NFL's minor league due to bizarre draft eligibility rules.
A decent subset of players have the skill to play in the NFL but not the desire to go to college, and to be honest, some wouldn't have gone to college if not for their football skills in the first place.
It perpetuates the false culture of the student-athlete the NCAA wants to project but we both know the two biggest money makers in football and basketball is far from that ideal.
It'll further encourage "cooking the books" for star athletes.

If there was a better alternate route for these players to get to the NFL, and NBA (the D league is a joke), I'd have less of an issue.

Star athletes regularly skip the combine and have private workouts. What this change would mean is that fringe athletes who need good measurables at the combine to be considered need to be serious about school or they could blow their best chance to be recognized.

They would still be able to participate in their school's Pro Day and be seen by scouts and run through all the same things they do at the combine, but they will not be as noticeable because scouts will be at the Pro Day to look at the star who chose not to participate in the combine.

NFL scouting is big business. They are not going to ignore a kid because he wasn't at the combine if they like him on tape and have a good interview with him. It's just the kids who didn't really stand out on tape and didn't attract any pro attention who need the combine to generate interest.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Flex » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:56 am

Flex

Postby Paxen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:14 pm

Watching european football and american football is two very different things. Since I'm not from the US watching american football took some time to get used to, and now I can't really watch european style without getting utterly bored. I mean, you have to pay attention all the time, but 90% of the time nothing happens! They just jog a bit and pass the ball around. In american football you know when something happens (a play is run) and then you're pretty sure that something meaningful is going to happen. And when there's a break, you can talk about something else, read a bit or get a drink without worrying about missing a goal.

It's all about what you're used to.
Paxen

Postby halabar » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:06 am

Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:19 am

halabar wrote:How did her leg not break off...

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video ... h.cnn.html

She rotates on her heel.
---
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to General