All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:25 am

Indians home opener w/ Yankees sells out in 6 minutes... But there is no excitement in Cleveland for the Tribe according to local Radio idiot.

Man... I checked, and the game I wanted to go to has sold out of everything but nose bleed seats. Time to start looking for another game to go to :( (I really wanted to see the Rays V Cleve
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:13 pm

LOL -- Marlins using Groupon to see if they can sell tickets for opening day
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-o ... l/21948174

Selig should smack Loria on the head and remove him from ownership. He's a disservice to not only his team but baseball in general.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Teranoid » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:28 pm

Harrison said he'd be open to returning to the Steelers.

Oh is that because no one else wants your hotheaded ass and all your tantrums? Too bad.. we don't want you back either. Happy trails.
Teranoid

Postby Shoju » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:05 am

Harrison is going to be retiring soon I think.

Indians name Kazmir 5th starter. I think we have our Major League Roster Set.

C - Carlos Santana (here's hoping he hits like he did in the WBC, and not like the last 2 years?)
1B - Nick Swisher
2b - Jason Kipnis
SS - Asdrubal Cabrera
3b - Lonnie Chisenhall (I have my doubts about him)
LF - Drew Stubbs
CF - Michael Bourn
RF - Michael Brantley
DH - Mark Reynolds
Sp - Justin Masterson
Sp - Ubaldo Jimenez (I have my doubts about him)
Sp - Brett Myers
Sp - Zach McAllister
Sp - Scott Kazmir
Cp - Chris Perez

The relievers are still sort of in flux, but we have Vinnie Pestano and Joe Smith, so the rest of them will filter out. They were the only two good ones last year that we still have. I'm not going to lie, even though I'm worried that the breeze from all the K's is going to be immense, I think this team can be something good.
Shoju

Postby halabar » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:07 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/ne ... &eref=sihp

Thank God that's over. Still paying a steep price for a guy who will be on another team, but at least won't have the distraction of the guy pulling time from the young guys.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Shoju » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:31 am

Browns sign Jason Campbell to two year deal. I'm ok with it. Could be worse. It could have been Kolb. It could have been better, it could have been Alex Smith. But I guess the browns are going to see what they can get out of this year, and if they don't have a QB on roster (word is that Lewis stays, and McCoy goes) we'll be picking up a QB in 2014.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:47 am

If there is someone whom i hate as much as i hate loria is this guy
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/90994 ... les-unfair
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:55 am

Klaudandus wrote:If there is someone whom i hate as much as i hate loria is this guy

Well, he is right to some degree in this case, Loshe was sitting and waiting a LONG time because of the compensation picks.. a lesser player is really going to have to come down on money to get a team to take him and give up picks.

halabar

Postby Shoju » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:59 am

Yeah, I hate Boras and Rosenhaus both (my axis of evil in agents), but Boras has a point. The way it is structured, it is a troubling spot to put the player in.

On the other hand, The Tribe benefited from it this year, snagging both Swish and Bourn in the wake of it.
Shoju

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:06 am

Boras is easy to hate and I can't say I like him much either. To be fair though, it's a tough balancing act between getting players the compensation they've earned and keeping the league competitive across so many different markets under the system that they have in place.

While it is ultimately self serving for Boras, at least it's in the context of serving the people who hired him, and that's really the only responsibility he has. I think he's been harmful to baseball overall, but he does have some decent points in this case. And any harm he has caused is because he did his job "too well"

On the flip side Loria just seems like an amazingly incompetent ass. I just can't put Boras into the same boat as Loria. I can at least respect Boras for doing his job, but there's not much that Loria has done that I find redeeming.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:16 am

halabar wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:If there is someone whom i hate as much as i hate loria is this guy

Well, he is right to some degree in this case, Loshe was sitting and waiting a LONG time because of the compensation picks.. a lesser player is really going to have to come down on money to get a team to take him and give up picks.

I don't know how wide spread it would be though. The player has to have a market value of over 13 million to be affected at all, and if they are much over that then the cost is worth it for the acquiring team. So it seems like a fairly narrow hole.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby halabar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:17 am

Fridmarr wrote:Boras is easy to hate and I can't say I like him much either.

On the flip side Loria just seems like an amazingly incompetent ass. I just can't put Boras into the same boat as Loria. I can at least respect Boras for doing his job, but there's not much that Loria has done that I find redeeming.

Yep.

halabar

Postby halabar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:19 am

Fridmarr wrote:
halabar wrote:

I don't know how wide spread it would be though. The player has to have a market value of over 13 million to be affected at all, and if they are much over that then the cost is worth it for the acquiring team. So it seems like a fairly narrow hole.

But what determines the market value?...

If it's the contract he signs, that is in effect forcing him to take less money in order to get signed by a team. If it's his previous contract, that could force older players of of the game.

halabar

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:51 pm

This isn't a veteran minimum, so it shouldn't force older players out of the game. At worst it may force them to accept a thirteen million dollar contract when they may have been able to get a few million more.

No one with the ability to pull that off will be forced out.

I'm talking about relative market value which you can derive (close enough) based on production.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby halabar » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:58 am

Sports success, filled my 20-team fantasy baseball league from my new guild in time for the draft this Friday.

halabar

PreviousNext

Return to General