All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:22 am

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:00 am

Man, and here I thought I was alone in my resentment of that show. Skip is a terrible "journalist" He'd be better suited as a shock jock akin Howard Stern. Does anyone take him seriously?
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:01 am

no
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:16 pm

On NFL News

Steelers release Harrison
Percy Harvin to the Seachickens
Boldin to the Niners
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:21 pm

Blown away by the Ravens Trade, but happy.
Blown away by the Vikings trade. Why? You have a great weapon, and you deal him?
Good Riddance to Harrison. If the Browns pick him up, I might boycott.
Shoju

Postby Koatanga » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:23 pm

Loving the Harvin news. The options in our read-option offense just expanded by an order of magnitude.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Shoju » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:46 am

I'm still just trying to figure out why the Vikings did the deal...

I mean... You had a top flight WR, and THE RB of the NFL. You needed a QB, in a year where there are no "great" Qb's in the draft.

So what do you do? Trade your #1 WR for Draft Picks? What are you going to gain out of that? Yes. Harvin was at the end of his Rookie Deal, and he was unhappy with the organization, and even previously requested a trade. But, he calmed down, came to camp, and did his thing. Barring the injury, He was electric.

Why deal him away, and now need two key positions, going into a draft that is slightly bereft in Offensive skill talent?

I've yet to see how this deal is a win for the Vikings in any way shape or form.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:14 am

Shoju wrote:Blown away by the Ravens Trade, but happy.

Torrey Smith has emerged as a pretty good receiver so Boldin is a casualty of that combined with much more pressing needs on defense. I'm not sure why but I expect more from PTI but both Kornheiser and Wilbon blamed Flacco's contract for Boldin being traded when Flacco's cap hit for the next 2 years is lower than Brady's. If they wanted Boldin they could've signed him, they didn't so he's out.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shoju » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:40 am

Flex wrote:
Shoju wrote:Blown away by the Ravens Trade, but happy.

Torrey Smith has emerged as a pretty good receiver so Boldin is a casualty of that combined with much more pressing needs on defense. I'm not sure why but I expect more from PTI but both Kornheiser and Wilbon blamed Flacco's contract for Boldin being traded when Flacco's cap hit for the next 2 years is lower than Brady's. If they wanted Boldin they could've signed him, they didn't so he's out.

For me, I'm just surprised they didn't try to work with him. I would have thought that Boldin (based on his talk) would have signed for less to stay. he wanted to finish as a Raven. He mentioned being a "raven for life". When it gets down to the deal, I bet he would have done a lot to stay in Baltimore.

BUt, I'm happy, because that means I don't have to worry about him torching Cleveland twice next year.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:46 am

He was "asked" to take a pay cut. Pretty sure he let his heart talk before his brain earlier. With his playoff performance he should get a big deal, unfortunately it isn't looking like that'll happen.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:54 pm

On other NFL news...

Asomugha released
Fitzpatrick released
Wallace to the Dolphins
Gonzalez is the new Favre
---
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:26 pm

Shoju wrote:I'm still just trying to figure out why the Vikings did the deal...

I mean... You had a top flight WR, and THE RB of the NFL. You needed a QB, in a year where there are no "great" Qb's in the draft.

So what do you do? Trade your #1 WR for Draft Picks? What are you going to gain out of that? Yes. Harvin was at the end of his Rookie Deal, and he was unhappy with the organization, and even previously requested a trade. But, he calmed down, came to camp, and did his thing. Barring the injury, He was electric.

Why deal him away, and now need two key positions, going into a draft that is slightly bereft in Offensive skill talent?

I've yet to see how this deal is a win for the Vikings in any way shape or form.

Some fans think Jennings would be better for the Vikings than Harvin. I don't get it, personally.

But for Seattle, it just looks dangerous. We already have an effective option play with Wilson and Lynch; adding in the pitch to Harvin as yet another option makes it really scary.

It also gives Seattle a free roster spot, since we were keeping Washington only for return duties.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Shoju » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:47 am

Klaudandus wrote:On other NFL news...

Asomugha released
Fitzpatrick released
Wallace to the Dolphins
Gonzalez is the new Favre

Ok, So we (Browns) stole Kruger from Baltimore. We overpayed, but it's still early, and JHIII needs to overpay to get people to come to a team that has lost 2x more than it's won since 1999.

Maybe....... We can snag Asomugha, and put him next to Haden. That should give us a year or two where we can draft a Raw CB, and let him develop without being forced into something. In a year where we're missing a 2nd round pick, I like this idea.

Anyone think that Fitzpatrick would be an upgrade for the Browns? I don't think so, but I could see them bringing him in, and giving him the chance to compete. We whiffed on getting Smith, Flynn doesn't look to be going anywhere, and there are little other options. Personally, I'm holding out hope that Thad Lewis has a lights out camp, and at least it's not The BrAARPon Wheelchair show next year. I'd say McCoy, but I don't think he'll ever erase the image of being waffled by Harrison in Cleveland. If you bring it up in Sports Media around Cleveland, the first thing all the naysayers will point out is: Don't you remember him getting broken by Harrison? He's not tough enough to play in the AFC N.

Gonzalez will never be favre. He hasn't retired and unretired. He's unsure. At his age, I would be too. I think it's reasonable to let him be hesitant, and then before the draft decide he's going to come back. I think he's only coming back because he wants the ring, and Atlanta is going to do everything they can to get him that ring.

Glad the Fins took Wallace. That was WAY too much money.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:58 am

So by my count, the Browns have Signed, or are expected to sign:

Paul Kruger LB
Quentin Groves LB
Desmond Bryant DT
Gary Barnidge TE

I don't know much about the TE, except that he was in Carolina, which means that Chud had some connection with him. Hopefully, he is a good one.

So, a CB, S, a QB to compete with the senior citizen, a FB, and resigning Dawson, and I'll be a happy Browns fan. Cribbs can take his Twitter Bombs and bad attitude to South Beach for all I care.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:56 am

I've heard a lot of negatives on Asomugha as a player, how he isn't as good as what his money demands are which was proven pretty true with his stint with Philly. I'm not sure how big the market will be for him.
Flex

PreviousNext

Return to General