Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Koatanga » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:19 pm

Teranoid wrote:Wakka Flocka Flacco gets the biggest contract for a QB in history. Going to be somewhat amusing if he gets Trent Green'd in a game a year into that contract.

I mean don't get me wrong winning a playoff game every year since you've been drafted and a ring is worth a payday but jesus.. 120 mil over 6 for a guy whose career could end up being over in the blink of an eye with almost half of that guaranteed money?

It was a perfect storm for his agent. Flacco just won the Super Bowl, the free agent market for QBs is abysmal, and the draft looks like crap. If the Ravens didn't keep Flacco, then it's either hope Barkley falls to #32, trade the Seahawks for Flynn, or it's Tebow Time. Flacco had them over a barrel.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:26 pm

Koatanga wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Manti-Teo-says-he-ran-in-46-range-in-training-for-combine.html?sct=uk_t2_a9

Yeah, and his girlfriend was real.

Who do you think timed his 4.6?

His gf, but I think she was talking about his time in bed. =P

Te'o look awful against 'bama.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:41 pm

Koatanga wrote:
Teranoid wrote:Wakka Flocka Flacco gets the biggest contract for a QB in history. Going to be somewhat amusing if he gets Trent Green'd in a game a year into that contract.

I mean don't get me wrong winning a playoff game every year since you've been drafted and a ring is worth a payday but jesus.. 120 mil over 6 for a guy whose career could end up being over in the blink of an eye with almost half of that guaranteed money?

It was a perfect storm for his agent. Flacco just won the Super Bowl, the free agent market for QBs is abysmal, and the draft looks like crap. If the Ravens didn't keep Flacco, then it's either hope Barkley falls to #32, trade the Seahawks for Flynn, or it's Tebow Time. Flacco had them over a barrel.

NFL contracts are a joke. Brady restructures his deal every few years to get more guaranteed money and lessen his cap hit. Flacco's 6 year deal is a three year deal because if he continues being playoff Flacco-like in getting to and winning in the playoffs they'll resructure for year 4 or he could be regular season Flacco-like and have 8 duds a year and not make the playoffs and get cut and they'll eat the cap hit or whatever.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Paxen » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Plus, the cap keeps rising at irregular intervals, so it's hard to compare a contract signed this year with one signed just one or two years ago.
Paxen

Postby Shoju » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:24 am

I for one don't have a problem with the Flacco deal. Good for him. The guy is a much better QB than people give him credit for. His numbers look a little less "impressive" than some other Qb's, because he has

a Great Defense
A Great running Game

He's still a great QB. Look at the playoff games this season. He was great.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:06 am

Shoju wrote:He's still a great QB. Look at the playoff games this season. He was great.

I think by the numbers he had the second or third best playoffs of any quarterback. The issue is that 3 to 5 times a season he just isn't good. He's not just bad he's putrid, like worst QB you've ever seen.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shoju » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:17 am

Flex wrote:
Shoju wrote:He's still a great QB. Look at the playoff games this season. He was great.

I think by the numbers he had the second or third best playoffs of any quarterback. The issue is that 3 to 5 times a season he just isn't good. He's not just bad he's putrid, like worst QB you've ever seen.

Only if you don't watch Browns games.
Shoju

Postby CrimsonEyes » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:26 pm

Well, yes, but could you really keep a straight face while calling anyone under center for the Browns a QB?

Or, for that matter, Gabbert, Cassel, Vick, etc?

Flacco is at least (most of the time), a QB. Those lot? Not at all worth the title.
Spider Clan * Gentleman * Noah * Onisu of Crimson * Rabble Rouser * Wiggler * The Lucid Dream * Paladin * Thousand Son

Elenti of Scarlet Crusade

"There’s one thing you never put in a trap, if you’re smart. If you value your continued existence. If you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there’s one thing you never, ever put in a trap.......Me." - The 11th Doctor

ImageImage
CrimsonEyes

Postby Koatanga » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:14 pm

My new benchmark for QBs is Russell Wilson. If a player is as good or better than Wilson, then he's a real QB. If not, he's a pretender.
Koatanga

Postby Shoju » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:05 am

For me, Wilson is a one season wonder so far. I'm not putting stock in him, or any other young QB until they show that they can be good for multiple years.

I mean, I could use Derek Anderson. That 2007 season was awesome.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Wilson, and Luck, and Even RGIII (if he can stay healthy) will be great QB's in the league, but I wont use them as a benchmark until they have shown they can do it for a few years.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:20 am

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby CrimsonEyes » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:09 pm

I tend to agree with Shoju. While I want to believe Wilson will be just as good next year as he was this year, I've seen far too many QBs come in and tear it up year one, and just never make The Leap year two, and fade off into mediocrity.

Don't get me wrong, I WANT him and Luck to be good, but I'm very, very cautious about that.

RGIII.....I have concerns about that are directly related to the injury he took. At least Luck and Wilson are healthy. I'll worry about RGIII making The Leap when he's got two functional legs to try to make said Leap with.
Spider Clan * Gentleman * Noah * Onisu of Crimson * Rabble Rouser * Wiggler * The Lucid Dream * Paladin * Thousand Son

Elenti of Scarlet Crusade

"There’s one thing you never put in a trap, if you’re smart. If you value your continued existence. If you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there’s one thing you never, ever put in a trap.......Me." - The 11th Doctor

ImageImage
CrimsonEyes

Postby Koatanga » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm a Seattle fan, so obviously I want to see Wilson do well, but I have several reasons to believe he won't experience a drop-off this season.

First, he's a student of the game. He didn't get to where he is by being overwhelmingly gifted, but through hard work and determination. He has great study habits and work ethic.

Second, he's been a pro before. Yes, it was baseball, but it's still experience living as a professional athlete. In fact, it's great experience, because he failed at baseball, never making the big league. That's important because so many QBs entering the NFL have always been the golden boy, from when they picked up a football to now. They have no idea how to handle adversity because they've never experienced it - nobody drafts the QB from a losing college team. Wilson's been there and done that.

Third, the coaching staff of the Seahawks is pretty amazing at getting performance out of "lesser" players. They are very good at scheming and utilising the talent they have on the team rather than creating game plans that their talent can't execute.

Fourth, he doesn't have to carry the team. The defense can do that, and Lynch can do that.

And fifth, Seattle is likely to improve the quality of its receiving squad this off-season, giving Wilson more targets who won't need him to run around like Benny Hill to buy time for them to get open.
Koatanga

Postby Nooska » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:45 am

Sanchez was awesome in his rookie year, I stillr emember them calling him Franchez (or was it Sanchize?) - just saying.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Shoju » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:28 am

I had a big long thing typed out, but it rambled.

Wilson and Weeden have a lot in common. The difference so far is the coaching.
Shoju

PreviousNext

Return to General