All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:48 pm

Flex wrote:
Paxen wrote:Alex Smith isn't "elite" or a "franchise quarterback", but he's going to give the Chiefs breathing room until they can find such a player (or let them ignore QB and build around the defense).

Alex Smith is Matt Cassel with a different name.

And just look at how Cassel turned out to be with the Chiefs
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Flex wrote:
Paxen wrote:Alex Smith isn't "elite" or a "franchise quarterback", but he's going to give the Chiefs breathing room until they can find such a player (or let them ignore QB and build around the defense).

My initial response was to say: "I DON'T AGREE!" But then I got looking at career numbers in my fancy dancy spreadsheet. Ugh. If anything? The numbers say over their careers Cassel has been..... "better".

Better Snaps to TD
Better Snaps to INT
Better Snaps Per Fumble
Better Snaps Per Sack
Better Yards per Snap
Better Snaps per Neg Play

Cassel is better in each category. Granted, it's not by much. All of them are within.... "relative" proximity that if this were mythbusters, I'd tell you that the difference between the two wasn't great enough to call it confirmed that Cassel is better. I would have to say it's Plausible, But that the trend is pointing "up" for Smith, with his numbers improving year by year, while Cassel's have been trending down.

I'd still take Alex Smith 10 times a day, every day over Cassel.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:04 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
Flex wrote:

And just look at how Cassel turned out to be with the Chiefs

I want to know where the '08 and '10 Cassel came from.

But that the trend is pointing "up" for Smith, with his numbers improving year by year, while Cassel's have been trending down.

The 49ers under Harbaugh with Smith as QB was built like the Ravens with Dilfer as the QB. Don't lose us the game. The Chiefs aren't that type of team where the defense, special teams or the rest of the offense that isn't the QB can out right win the game. Smith will trend down.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby halabar » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Flex wrote:
But that the trend is pointing "up" for Smith, with his numbers improving year by year, while Cassel's have been trending down.

The 49ers under Harbaugh with Smith as QB was built like the Ravens with Dilfer as the QB. Don't lose us the game. The Chiefs aren't that type of team where the defense, special teams or the rest of the offense that isn't the QB can out right win the game. Smith will trend down.

Smith's last two years were a product of the system.

The $10m question is, can he translate that to a new environment, and/or, can Reid duplicate/improve on what it took to make Smith successful?

Edit: Still, given the other options available, gambling a 2nd round pick this year and another the next seems like a fair bet, since there are likely no NFL-starters-day-one in this year's draft, and Flynn is the only other reasonable trade candidate.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby CrimsonEyes » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:00 pm

Not to mention, Smith's done badly given that every year, practically, he's had a new coach or Offensive Coordinator. He FINALLY had some stability between last year and this year....

...and now he gets a completely new coach, teammates, and offensive coordinator. No, don't expect the Chiefs to do well next year, I'm pretty sure the rest of the AFC West is thanking the 49ers for giving them two free wins next year.
Spider Clan * Gentleman * Noah * Onisu of Crimson * Rabble Rouser * Wiggler * The Lucid Dream * Paladin * Thousand Son

Elenti of Scarlet Crusade

"There’s one thing you never put in a trap, if you’re smart. If you value your continued existence. If you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there’s one thing you never, ever put in a trap.......Me." - The 11th Doctor

ImageImage
CrimsonEyes

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:03 am

---
Klaudandus

Postby Marwan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:38 am

Klaudandus wrote:http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/28/4039438/brady-quinn-new-york-jets-nfl-rumors

HAHAHAHAHHA

Oh Brody Qualls ...

Have fun New York.
Marwan

Postby Nakama » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:26 pm

Flex wrote:

As much as I want to be positive for the home town team, I have to agree with this sentiment. Alex Smith will only be as good as Reid's coaching will allow him to be. While Reid supposedly has a good record with making something out of nothing in the QB department, I (and most of the KC fandom) don't trust that this isn't going to end up being Cassel 2.0 for the Chiefs.

If only the Chiefs had some recievers besides Bowe, there might be hope in that department, but Breaston and company do not a good receiving corps make.

--Jed
Nakama

Postby Shoju » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:49 am

I don't know if I agree with the sentiment that Alex Smith was only a product of the system. In 2006, he had fairly good numbers. The only difference in 06 as compared to the past two years under Harbaugh were the number of picks he threw, and his completion %.

Alex Smith wasn't the reason that they lost last year either.

and I don't think he's a Dilfer type. Dilfer never completed 60%. Anywhere. Smith has done so 3 times. He was also over 70% when he lost his job this season. In Dilfer's SB Winning Season, he was Remarkably average.

59.3% Comp rate
1502 yds in 11 games (8 starts)
136.5 yds per g
12 td
11 int
-5.49 yds lost per sack
20 rushing attempts for 75 yds
0 Rushing Td's
8 Fumbles

That is about as "bland" as it gets at QB. You can look at either of Smith's seasons that were SB caliber teams

61.3 | 70.1 % Comp rate
3144 | 1737 Yds in 16 games and 10 games
196.5 | 173.7 Yds Per Game
17 TD | 13 TD
5 INT | 5 INT
5.89 | 6.61 Yds lost per sack
52 - 179 | 31 - 132 Rushing Attempts / Yards
2 | 0 Rushing TDS
7 | 3 Fumbles

Smith had better Comp Rates,
Better Yards Per Game
More TD's
Less Int's
More mobile

Dilfer
Lost less yards per sack

They both fumble.

To me, Saying Smith is a game manager is a fallacy, because of his horrible coaching situations. Learning new schemes, learning new things, never having a good solid core group on the team.

Suddenly, when harbaugh Shows up, and starts working with him, he improves. In the second year, he was fantastic. He was a good, not great QB, on a good team. Every QB is asked to go out on the field, and "Not Lose the Game". That's sort of the point.

Now you could make a case that Smith wasn't being asked to win the games. But, how many Qb's are really asked to go out there and win the game. Smith is an upgrade at QB for a lot of teams.
ARZ
Buff
Cle
Jax
KC
Mia
Min
NYJ
Oak (yes. I'd take him over Palmer at this point in their careers)
Phi (yes. I'd take him over Vick, or Foles)
St. Louis (Yes. I'd take him over Bradford at this point)
TB...... Mmmmmm Not sure. Freeman is REALLY hit or miss
Tennesse. I'd take him over hasselbeck, not sure about locker. I think that might be too early to tell.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:19 pm

What amazes me is that the skins didnt shop Cousins around.

Also, on other NFL news, Falcons release Turner.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:06 pm

Klaudandus wrote:What amazes me is that the skins didnt shop Cousins around.

Also, on other NFL news, Falcons release Turner.

I think they're afraid that RGIII is a Ming Vase that has been wrapped poorly, being delivered by that guy who throws TVs over fences.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:14 pm

Well, I hate the skins, so.... =P
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:32 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby Teranoid » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:37 pm

Wakka Flocka Flacco gets the biggest contract for a QB in history. Going to be somewhat amusing if he gets Trent Green'd in a game a year into that contract.

I mean don't get me wrong winning a playoff game every year since you've been drafted and a ring is worth a payday but jesus.. 120 mil over 6 for a guy whose career could end up being over in the blink of an eye with almost half of that guaranteed money?
Teranoid

Postby Koatanga » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Klaudandus wrote:http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Manti-Teo-says-he-ran-in-46-range-in-training-for-combine.html?sct=uk_t2_a9

Yeah, and his girlfriend was real.

Who do you think timed his 4.6?
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

PreviousNext

Return to General