All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:53 am

randomly wrong post in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Last edited by Shoju on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shoju

Postby halabar » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:25 am

Shoju wrote:What if we added a "true front page" to the site. Even if it was a pretty simple Word Press. You could set it up so that Swirly and Tal could maintain information/blog type things about the Lurkers Guilds, you could give people who were involved in D, D2, and D3 spots where they could write columns, etc...

I know it's not a lot different than the current splash page, but it's a thought.

??

Wrong forum, or are they lurking here?
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Teranoid » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:26 am

Man it would be amazing if you could somehow come up with a script that when someone submitted a post it was sent to a completely random thread.
Teranoid

Postby Shoju » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:44 am

Wow... that's uh.... Well... That was totally sent from my phone to the lounge as a Private Message. Weird.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:29 am

Cam Cameron interviewing to be the Jets OC. I'm sure Sanchez could be a great check down passer!
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shoju » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:18 pm

Oh man, I'm in stitches from laughing so hard.

This article on the Browns Site Wrote wrote:Among first-year NFL quarterbacks, Weeden finished in the top five in passing yards, passing first downs (168), and completions of 20 or more yards (48).

Weeden
Luck
RGIII
Russell Wilson
Tannehill
Foles
Lindley
Cousins

So uh... He did better than the 3 guys who only started a handful of games. (Lindley, Cousins, Foles)

Congratulations Weeden. You started 15 games and had better stats than 3 guys who didn't start 15 games combined that's amazing.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:33 pm

That is part of my beef regarding all the criticism regarding Tim Tebow. 2011 Rookies played more than Tim Tebow did in that season. Even combining 2010 and 2011, he started less games than some of the 2011 rookie QBs.

It took two years to pretty much realize that Blaine Gabbert and Colt McCoy suck, and they were allowed to start more games than Tebow.

If Tim Tebow had been given a whole season to prove himself and proves me that he sucks, I'd shut up and pile on him as well, but he has never really gotten the benefit of the doubt.

I know someone was saying that Orton and Gabbert were better QBs because they could throw a proper spiral... I'd say that even tho they know how to throw a spiral on demand, they still suck. Sometimes, dare I say, intangibles matter?

That reminds me, can you get the numbers Orton had during his tenure as a Broncos QB?
Last edited by Klaudandus on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:34 pm

Peyton Manning can't throw a spiral, then again Peyton Manning is below average in the playoffs.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:39 pm

So the Gronk really did break his arm again last night, and will require surgery. Ouch.
http://nfl.si.com/2013/01/13/rob-gronko ... t=uk_t2_a3

Also, people are upset in ND cuz Kelly interviewed with the Eagles about the HC position. Pretty understandable.

And Jerry Jones putting pressure on Jason Garret by trying to force him to hire an OC, and fire his brother. I guess he can't bring himself to fire him but wants Garret to quit because he publicly supported Garret towards the end of the season.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:22 pm

Klaudandus wrote:That is part of my beef regarding all the criticism regarding Tim Tebow. 2011 Rookies played more than Tim Tebow did in that season. Even combining 2010 and 2011, he started less games than some of the 2011 rookie QBs.

It took two years to pretty much realize that Blaine Gabbert and Colt McCoy suck, and they were allowed to start more games than Tebow.

If Tim Tebow had been given a whole season to prove himself and proves me that he sucks, I'd shut up and pile on him as well, but he has never really gotten the benefit of the doubt.

I know someone was saying that Orton and Gabbert were better QBs because they could throw a proper spiral... I'd say that even tho they know how to throw a spiral on demand, they still suck. Sometimes, dare I say, intangibles matter?

That reminds me, can you get the numbers Orton had during his tenure as a Broncos QB?

He did start 11 games for Denver in 2011. While not a complete season, that's a reasonable sample. He benefited from Denver's decision to play defense halfway through that year, so he was gifted this idea that he can win games, but a sub-50% completion percentage just isn't any good.

Compare to Russell Wilson. Both are mobile, but Wilson is a passer who can run, while Tebow is a runner who can (sort of) pass. Wilson is more accurate and seeks to extend the play rather than just tucking and running.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Shoju » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:23 pm

For the record. I like Orton as a QB. Always have. Thought he got a raw deal the way that Carr did in Houston. (did you know one season in Houston, Carr completed 68% of his passes?!)

So Orton.

in Chitown he was a 55% comp thrower
in Denver he was a 60% comp thrower

In both places, he lost just over 6 yards per sack. Past that, He was always better in Denver.

Snaps Per TD
26.88 (AVG OF LEAGUE: 25.02) So he was a little less than optimal, but... who were his targets?

Snaps Per INT
47.04 (AVG OF LEAGUE: 43.92) He was better than league average at not throwing INT's.

Snaps Per Fumble
131.7 (AVG OF LEAGUE: 78.42) He really didn't fumble much at all.

Snaps Per Sack
18.29 (AVG OF LEAGUE: 17.58) He didn't get sacked as often as average

Yards Per Snap
6.2 (AVG OF LEAGUE: 6.08) A little better than league average

Neg Plays Per Snap
.08 (AVG OF LEAGUE: .09) Again, a little better than league average.

Looking over all of Orton's Denver Numbers, He was pretty much the poster boy for "average" or "just a hair better than average". He wasn't amazing. But he wasn't going to go out there and kill you. He was the very definition of a game manager from that aspect.

Seriously. All of his numbers are within 3-6% of league average. That's... pretty average.

*League AVG referenced is the 2012 league average.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:16 pm

I thought I had posted something about this before, but apparently I hadn't. I did some work on my sheet, and figured I would give you some interesting Data.

First. The Average game by a QB this year.

21.1 / 34.62
60.95% Comp
244.96 Yards
11.61 YPC / 7.07 YPA
2.27 Sacks -14.66 Yds Lost
1.47 TDs | .91 INT
3.08 Rushing Attempts | 12.83 Yards | .13 RTD | .51 Fumbles
39.97 Meaning Snaps
25.02 Snaps Per TD
43.92 Spanps Per INT
78.42 Snaps Per Fumble
17.58 Snaps Per Sack
6.08 Yards per Snap
.09 Neg Plays Per Snap.

That would be an average game of QB stats for a team.

The Average Season for a starting Qb would look something like this.
337.66 / 553.97
60.95% Comp
3919.31 Yards
11.61 / 7.07 YPC/YPA
36.38 Sacks | -234.53 YDS Lost
23.5 TD
14.56 INT
49.25 Rushes | 205.28 Yards | 4.17 YPC
2.06 RTD
8.16 Fumble
639.59 Meaningful Snaps
25.02 Snaps Per TD
43.92 Spanps Per INT
78.42 Snaps Per Fumble
17.58 Snaps Per Sack
6.08 Yards per Snap
.09 Neg Plays Per Snap.

So. If your QB of your team (or if you want, your whole team) was better than that at something, Congratulations. If your QB or team as a whole was worse than that... Well, then maybe you suck.

It's interesting, I found someone who's stats so CLOSELY reflect those stats from this year, it's pretty crazy.

The winner of "I'm the most average of all the Qb's in the league? Carson Palmer.
8 more completions
11.03 more attempts
98.69 more yards.
.11% better completion %
.04 better YPC
.04 better YPA
1.2 worse Yards lost per Sack
1.5 Less TD's
.56 Less INT'S
Rushing is a joke, but with the new batch of runnners I expected it would be
30.59 less meaningful snaps.
1.46 more snaps per TD (that means it's worse than average)
.42 less Snaps per INT (that means worse than average)
9.42 more Snaps Per Fumble (that's a good thing)
5.84 more snaps per sack (that's a good thing)
.25 more yards per snap.
.01 better Neg Plays Per snap.

So what does that say about the stats? What does that say about Fans? What does that say about the game? Is average just simply not good enough? Are we too hard on QB's? Do you need an elite QB to win in the league?

Personally, I think it says that Average isn't good enough, and that you need to be elite to win. I don't know what it means about us fans. Maybe we are too hard on people based on outlier things besides stats. Another guy who was close was Nick Foles. I think it's safe to say we view Nick Foles with more "Promise" than we do Palmer. He may not be "the answer" in philly, but I think people at least think there is some upside there.

Now, Keep in mind, that is the sum of every single QB who played in the league this year. If you remove Everyone who played less than Alex Smith (which sadly, does remove and entire TEAM from the equation), the numbers to trend higher, but it would give you a more accurate idea of what people are looking for out of a franchise QB.

If people are interested in seeing those numbers, Let me know, and I will put them up.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:57 am

Browns are in discussion to sell naming rights to Cleveland Browns Stadium to FirstEnergy, Ohio's largest Electric / Power Company.

Unsure what to think. Is this a good thing? Bad thing? Will it make a difference in a sport that has a salary cap?
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:27 pm

Well, at least they'll thread closer to it, or be able to hire better coaches... =P
---
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:30 pm

Shoju wrote:Browns are in discussion to sell naming rights to Cleveland Browns Stadium to FirstEnergy, Ohio's largest Electric / Power Company.

Unsure what to think. Is this a good thing? Bad thing? Will it make a difference in a sport that has a salary cap?

Money does matter to an extent. The Seahawks have Paul Allen's chequebook, which bought them the Virginia Madsen Athletic Center - the finest training and practice facility in the league by a fair margin. It impresses free agents who visit and makes them slightly easier to sign.

Of course, winning is probably more persuasive, but having a world-class practice facility does help.

Contrast to Arizona where the tackling dummies are saguaro catci and the practice field is sand. Cheap organisation is cheap.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

PreviousNext

Return to General