Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Flex » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:51 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Oops... well, Freudian Excuse...

This is the sports thread, at when we talk about the Jets, we talk more often about Rex Ryan than Kate Upton... plus, aside the age, sex and weight difference, both loved the same QB until he fell out of favor due to his ill-timed passes, and just generally fumbling things up. =P

Well the big rumor is that Sanchez is gay and has had a series of beards to cover up his relationship with Scotty McKnight who was bearded by Hayden Panettiere.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:59 pm

First time I hear about those Juan-on-Juan rumors. Not entirely surprised though.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:47 pm

Atlanta has a good, if unheralded, defense, and an early-start east-coast game is simply brutal for any west-coast team. WC teams won something like 20% of their early EC games between 2007 and 2011. It's not so much tilting the field as bowling it right over.

But I guess that's what Home Field Advantage is all about, or something.

Seahawks may start slow and won't find it quite so easy to move the ball against Atlanta. Atlanta has had two weeks to dwell on a bad loss against a lesser team, so both teams may come out flat.

Going with the Seahawks just because I'ma fan. 20-17.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby bldavis » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:45 pm

basically what i am seeing is that it should be a tough low scoring game....
iow one that should be fun to watch!

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:59 pm

Koatanga wrote:Atlanta has a good, if unheralded, defense, and an early-start east-coast game is simply brutal for any west-coast team. WC teams won something like 20% of their early EC games between 2007 and 2011. It's not so much tilting the field as bowling it right over.

But I guess that's what Home Field Advantage is all about, or something.

Seahawks may start slow and won't find it quite so easy to move the ball against Atlanta. Atlanta has had two weeks to dwell on a bad loss against a lesser team, so both teams may come out flat.

Going with the Seahawks just because I'ma fan. 20-17.

Well to be fair those were some horrible teams against everyone, really really horrible. SD, SF, Sea, and Oak from 2007 - 2011 have like a 47% winning percentage combined. That's almost all SD carrying those wins too, you take them out of the equation and the other three teams have a ridiculously low 2 winning seasons in 15 tries. Plus, they get to play each other twice each year.

Certainly home field helps, but lets not make a mountain out of a molehill.

While the Falcons have arguably lost to very good teams in the playoffs (all three went to the SB and two won it) and it's probably unfair to say that they "suck" in the post season, I don't think they break their winless streak this week. In fact they may be losing to another SB bound team. Seattle is the most complete team, they are ridiculously healthy even with Clemons going down, and they are pretty hot right now.

As long as they protect the ball, outside of a trip to Lambeau, I just don't see them losing. Plus I'm rooting for a Fail Mary rematch which should be a really fun game to watch.

The over/under is like 45, so it's expected to be fairly average on the scoring.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Paxen » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:26 am

I agree that Atlanta haven't sucked in the post season these last years. That doesn't mean they'll win out this week - Seattle is the better team.

The long flight and early start will play havoc with the Seattle defense, though. So I'm not completely ruling out an Atlanta victory.
Paxen

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:34 am

---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:44 am

Klaudandus wrote:Good: Ryan Fired
Bad: Different Ryan
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... &eref=sihp

I might be ok with that Ryan as HC in Cleveland. not even joking a little. I liked him as the DC when he was here. He had the D playing strong. The 2 years he was here, our losing was very rarely a result of Bad Defense. He had them playing ridiculously hard for a team that was young. I'd definitely entertain having him back on the sidelines.

The problem, is I don't know if he would come back. He got a pretty raw deal in the Mangini firing.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:09 am

So the Baseball HOF list comes out today. I haven't been following baseball as closely (on a "grand" scheme) for the past couple of years. Really, Canseco's book, and the fallout afterwards really killed my interest. I used to be a bigger baseball fan than NFL fan.

In the wake of steroids, I said "Keep em out of the Hall". But I find my position changing. What good does keeping them out of the Hall do? The Hall of Fame for the MLB has really fallen out of favor with me lately. They allowed Drunks, and Racists into the Hall of Fame, even after they instituted "Character" as one of the criteria. Yet Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, and the mighty Mickey all are enshrined. All of them had woeful faults in the "character" area.

We keep out Shoeless Joe, the Black Sox, and Pete Rose, because of their links to gambling. But Daryl Strawberry and Doc Gooden appeared on the ballot, and they were known drug users.

Now comes the Steroid Users. I'm sure I'll get lambasted for my opinion, but I do believe that MLB as an "organization" needs to be held accountable for PED's. As an organization, it has either been willfully negligent, or complicit in the PED use in the game. From Amphetamines (which date back into the late 60's at least) in the game, to Steroids, and HGH, the game has been dirty a long, long time.

I used to say Keep them all out. I used to say Keep them out if they get caught. Now? I'm to the point now, where I think they should be in the hall if they have the resume to be in the hall, PED's or not. But I do think that the Hall of Fame should begin to discuss the PED mark on the game. If you were named in the Mitchell Report, it should go on the plaque. If you were suspended for PED's, it should go on the plaque.

And while we're at it, let's let Rose, and Shoeless Joe, and the rest of the blacksox in. Put what they did on the plaque. Looking back on the game, and the way that the Hall of Fame is being run, feels like revisionist history in motion. The game was a great thing, for a long time. It can be great again I think. From a "historical" point of view, I think the greatness will come from embracing the bad, and the ugly with the good. Realizing that it is what has made the game what it is today, and tell a complete story.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:28 am

I'm gonna be pissed off if Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds get in before Jack Morris...

Seriously, it pisses me off that Jack Morris was possibly the best pitcher in the 80s but is not in, and only because he was in the wrong team.

A bunch of writers would be asking for him to be put in the HoF if he had been in an East Coast Team, but because spent just about his whole career with the lowly twins (even tho he was pivotal in their WS, specially that Game 7)
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:38 am

For the upcoming tell all interview with oprah
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:40 am

The HoF voting is a sham. The voters tend to act like the steroid era started with the McGwire and Sosa homerun chase, but it had been going strong for at least 20 years before that. EPSN had some idiot on last night, who actually has a vote, talking about how methamphetamines aren't a PED because they don't add bulk or improve your eyesight, so he was fine for voting for folks that took them...but not PEDs. It probably doesn't help that the voters comprise the most inept media category in America.

I don't think Clemens or Bonds are close, last year they were in the 40% area if I remember right, so they won't be getting in until there is a shift in thinking about PED use. It's likely that no one will get in this year. Do you know where Morris was vote wise?
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:50 am

Fridmarr wrote:The HoF voting is a sham. The voters tend to act like the steroid era started with the McGwire and Sosa homerun chase, but it had been going strong for at least 20 years before that. EPSN had some idiot on last night, who actually has a vote, talking about how methamphetamines aren't a PED because they don't add bulk or improve your eyesight, so he was fine for voting for folks that took them...but not PEDs. It probably doesn't help that the voters comprise the most inept media category in America.

I don't think Clemens or Bonds are close, last year they were in the 40% area if I remember right, so they won't be getting in until there is a shift in thinking about PED use. It's likely that no one will get in this year. Do you know where Morris was vote wise?

Who the heck was saying that? I hope it's not one of the two Baseball Writers I actually like....
Shoju

Postby Flex » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:00 am

Stupid things about the HoF is that the same people who vote to keep PED users out based on "character" are the same people who wrote glowing stories about the incredible acts these players did and then piled on them when the PED bubble burst. Fuck Baseball writers.

The other stupid thing with HoF voting is when the deliberate decision to prevent someone from being a First Ballot Hall of Famer makes the round. "Yea he was great, but not first round great."
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Teranoid » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:10 pm

The HoF is a museum of Baseball. You can't fucking ignore a segment of its history just because "oh he took steroids".

What a joke.
Teranoid

PreviousNext

Return to General