All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby halabar » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:43 am

Fridmarr wrote:I think there was a reasonable debate to be had with Sanchez and Tebow, earlier in the year. Sanchez was particularly bad this year, statistically worse than Tebow as a passer, never mind Tebow's running abilities.

Ultimately though, I don't really care about any of that. The NFL and the idiots in the sports media (who rank extremely high on the idiot level), are a whole lot more interesting if Tebow does play. I was hoping to see some of that this year.

The thing that really perplexes me is that if the Jets are going to dump Tebow, you think they would want to try to showcase his abilities to increase trade value. Although, perhaps that is what they are trying to do with the Sanchize.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:58 pm

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:27 pm

Ok, I officially concede every point in the Wilson vs RGIII debate.

While Wilson did come to a Seattle and completely turn around an offense that redefined "pathetic", he's simply in the wrong city.

Take this last week, for example. Wilson goes against the #1 defense in football and throws 4 TDs, and had an 18-second scramble reminiscent of Benny Hill, en route to a blowout. RGIII goes against the #11 Philadelphia Eagles and scores two touchdowns. Rookie of the Week? RGIII.

If things are going the stacked that hard against Wilson, there's no chance he'll be getting a sniff of any rookie honours.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Teranoid » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:53 pm

That's the biggest sticking point I think in this entire debate.

It's the Redskins potentially being taken to the playoffs by a rookie QB for the first time since 1999. The same team whose owner seems to go out of his way to see how he can sabotage the team before the season even starts. The team that has been a bottom feeder and a joke for years. The Colts had one down year out of what.. 10?

Tell you what give Luck ROTY if the Colts went 2-14 last year with Manning starting every game. When you have shit quarterbacks like Curtis Painter and Dan "I'm only known for being that guy Jared Allen ran out of the end zone" Orlovsky of course you're destined for absolute failure and unless you're the Browns the only way to go is up.
Teranoid

Postby Paxen » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:38 pm

It's almost like everybody went "Oh, they scored 42 on the Niners? That defense can't have been all that good then" even though it was probably regarded as at least top 5 by everybody before that game.

I do think the lack of Justin Smith and an effective 6 quarters of football against the Pats the week before played a role.
Paxen

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:34 pm

Paxen wrote:It's almost like everybody went "Oh, they scored 42 on the Niners? That defense can't have been all that good then" even though it was probably regarded as at least top 5 by everybody before that game.

I do think the lack of Justin Smith and an effective 6 quarters of football against the Pats the week before played a role.
Nah, it's the NFL that's how it works. Good teams, good offenses, good defenses, get their ass handed to them sometimes. That same defense gave up 34 the week before (and they aren't on the hook for the blocked FG returned for a TD in the Seattle game). They are a good defense a very good defense in fact. These days though, the rules are so slanted towards offenses that good defenses are going to yield some points sometimes.

I would have given the award to Wilson last week too. That said, RGIII could barely run on his hurt knee and made some really great plays on the road. Wilson had a near flawless game, but because they killed the niners there was no drama either which in a stupid sort of way, probably hurt him. It was pretty much over at 21 - 0 with that blocked FG being returned. Still, that was a huge division game on a national stage, and the voters missed in my opinion.

However, when it comes to RoTY, RGIII has better numbers and in my opinion better intangibles. The numbers are really close, close enough to flip after Sunday, but I suspect if he has a good game, in a rivalry game to win the division no less, it's in the bag and it's deserved.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:09 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:27 am

Klaudandus wrote:Fuck RGIII and his ROTY... Luck and Wilson are more deserving

According to the numbers I ran, RGIII is the most deserving based on performance.

Best Yards per Snap (6.95 after last week. No other rookie is over 6.8)
Best Snaps per INT (His ratio is up higher than some of the most "Elite" Qb's in the league.)
Second in NPPS (The only category that Russell Wilson beats him in)
Best Snaps per TD ratio of the Rookies

But really, if we are going to be talking about rookies, there are really two rookies that will need to be included in the discussion, one of them is on the same team as RGIII. Alfred Morris is having statistically one of the best Rookie Rushing Seasons in the history of the NFL. He's a dark horse, and he doesn't get as much press as any of the QB's, but make no mistake about it, RGIII wouldn't look as amazing as he does without Morris.

You could argue that Luck's numbers look as "not good" at times as they do, because Indianapolis doesn't have a good runnning game, while RW and RGIII are both sitting with great RB's in the backfield.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:10 am

Do you guys think that if RGIII comes short against the LOLboys, they will hand the ROTY award to either Luck or Wilson?

The whole thing would smell of East Coast Bias, specially considering that Wilson and Luck would be the ones going to the playoffs
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:30 am

Shoju wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:Fuck RGIII and his ROTY... Luck and Wilson are more deserving

According to the numbers I ran, RGIII is the most deserving based on performance.

Best Yards per Snap (6.95 after last week. No other rookie is over 6.8)
Best Snaps per INT (His ratio is up higher than some of the most "Elite" Qb's in the league.)
Second in NPPS (The only category that Russell Wilson beats him in)
Best Snaps per TD ratio of the Rookies

But really, if we are going to be talking about rookies, there are really two rookies that will need to be included in the discussion, one of them is on the same team as RGIII. Alfred Morris is having statistically one of the best Rookie Rushing Seasons in the history of the NFL. He's a dark horse, and he doesn't get as much press as any of the QB's, but make no mistake about it, RGIII wouldn't look as amazing as he does without Morris.

You could argue that Luck's numbers look as "not good" at times as they do, because Indianapolis doesn't have a good runnning game, while RW and RGIII are both sitting with great RB's in the backfield.
Especially in the case of RGIII, I disagree. It's not Morris that makes RIII look good, it's RGIII that makes Morris look good. Defenses are keying off of RGIII in both pass and run formations, which is pretty unique.

Wilson has that working to a degree now too. Seattle, with a healthy Oline had a decent running game, and earlier in the year that took some pressure off of Wilson, but now defenses are not playing nearly as much run first against Seattle, because Wilson is making them pay. The biggest advantage Wilson has is a really good defense. At this point, he's helping the run as much (and probably more) as the run is helping him.

Klaudandus wrote:Do you guys think that if RGIII comes short against the LOLboys, they will hand the ROTY award to either Luck or Wilson?

The whole thing would smell of East Coast Bias, specially considering that Wilson and Luck would be the ones going to the playoffs
If he stinks it up, maybe. However, he can have an incredible game and they can still lose. The Skins not making the playoffs isn't really that big of a deal for me for RoTY. He'd could easily still deserve the award if they don't.

If they hand it to Luck over Wilson on the other hand...that's a problem.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:13 pm

Which team would benefit the most if Chip Kelly becomes their Head coach?
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:43 pm

Wow... the Houston Texans are falling apart on live TV~! Go Go COLTS!! Give the Broncos a chance at the #1 seed!
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:30 pm

Grr, I had both the Ravens and Texans picked to lose and then talked myself out of it...
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:53 pm

Reid to be officially fired tomorrow
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-o ... -andy-reid

Also, something I saw
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:34 pm

http://mlb.si.com/2012/12/21/jaws-and-t ... ck-morris/

Ugh... FUCK YOU!!

This guy has posted articles about why Clemens should be in the HoF and Jack Morris shouldn't

If Jack Morris had been a Yankees, Phillies or Red Sox, he would be writing about why Jack Morris should BE in the HoF instead... nvm that during his career, no one had more wins than him among other very relevant HoF things.
---
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to General