All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Teranoid » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:02 pm

Came home and I hear from the other room "Pirates sign.." and I get somewhat excited until I hear..

"Francisco Liriano."

Ugh.
Teranoid

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:06 pm

For the record, what are Sanchez numbers as per your spreadsheet? I can't seem to find them on the thread.

And I'd like to see them career total and this season's
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:33 pm

Klaudandus wrote:It makes me wonder if the reason why McCoy got sacked a lot was to a porous O-Line

I've never liked Gabbert, the guy looks scared to get hit on the field.

Which is the biggest reason that I've been dabting how worthwhile the sack calculation is. Because McCoy had...... Thomas. And then a rookie Alex Mack. That's it. He had god awful protection. Teams poured through the O line in Cleveland as if it were a tattered wet paper bag that already had the bottom ripped out. It was bad.

Gabbert doesn't look good on the field. He really doesn't. It's like he showed up in the NFL and say HOLY F)(*!@%^ING SH!@()*&%@# THESE MOTHERf239876ERS ARE HUGE MAN! And ever since, he's been running, trying to find the mother from the movie Little Giants to cover him in Bubble Wrap. PLEASE DON'T LET THE BIG GUY HIT ME PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HE'S GOING TO KILL ME OH MY GOD HE'S GOING TO KILL ME.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:37 pm

Shoju wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:It makes me wonder if the reason why McCoy got sacked a lot was to a porous O-Line

I've never liked Gabbert, the guy looks scared to get hit on the field.

Which is the biggest reason that I've been dabting how worthwhile the sack calculation is. Because McCoy had...... Thomas. And then a rookie Alex Mack. That's it. He had god awful protection. Teams poured through the O line in Cleveland as if it were a tattered wet paper bag that already had the bottom ripped out. It was bad.

Gabbert doesn't look good on the field. He really doesn't. It's like he showed up in the NFL and say HOLY F)(*!@%^ING SH!@()*&%@# THESE MOTHERf239876ERS ARE HUGE MAN! And ever since, he's been running, trying to find the mother from the movie Little Giants to cover him in Bubble Wrap. PLEASE DON'T LET THE BIG GUY HIT ME PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HE'S GOING TO KILL ME OH MY GOD HE'S GOING TO KILL ME.

Exactly what I saw from reading Gabbert's body language and eyes.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:50 pm

I missed your request for Sanchez. Here he is.

36.23 Snaps per TD (yes. Almost double the snaps of Andy Dalton, More than double the snaps of Aaron Rodgers, and Drew bress and Peyton Manning.
27.21 Snaps per INT (yes. He throws INT's faster than TD's)
39.25 Snaps per Fumble (Yes. He Fumbles almost as often as he scores)
14.27 Snaps per Sack (that's gotta hurt.)
5.32 Yards per Snap
.13 Neg Plays Per Snap. That's good enough to be tied for worst in the leauge.

EDIT:
I've been going through some stats, adding in some other QB's that had long careers to try and better flesh out what would be a "good" number, and a "Bad" number in this formula. At this point, I think it's safe to say that

.1 or higher on Negative Plays Per Snap is just... Awful. AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL.

So far, the worst NP/S I have found is the Godfather of the NFL QB Family. Archie Manning, and his astounding .15 NP/S.
Shoju

Postby Paxen » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:37 pm

How did Tebow win in Denver? He had Von Miller and the rest of the Broncos defense on his team.

Incidentally, how did Sanchez win in New York (and get that monster contract)? He had Darelle Revis and the rest of the Jets defense on his team.

A QB is the most important player on the team, but a great defense is also very good. Add them together and you get the 2012 Broncos.
Paxen

Postby Koatanga » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:08 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Exactly what I saw from reading Gabbert's body language and eyes.

As opposed to Russell Wilson's eyes:

After a completion: Cold
After a sack: Cold
After a touchdown: Cold
After an interception: Cold

The guy is ice out there.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby halabar » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:58 pm

Koatanga wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:Exactly what I saw from reading Gabbert's body language and eyes.

As opposed to Russell Wilson's eyes:

After a completion: Cold
After a sack: Cold
After a touchdown: Cold
After an interception: Cold

The guy is ice out there.

And he wins his biggest game sofar. Go Seahawks!
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:17 pm

That was a good old fashion trip to the woodshed.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:10 am

Things I learned about football from yesterday's games.

* The Mile High Ponies and Peyton Manning continue being magical, although its easy being magical against the Browns... XD
* McCoy got some snaps, yay! and did ok, yay! QB controversy in Cleveland? hmm... maybe?
* For all the yds he gets, Stafford doesn't get that many TDs...
* There's something odd about the Falcons... I feel they will be dismantled in the postseason game.
* I don't know who the QB of the future is for the Jets, but he surely isnt in that team
* I really hope its the last year for Norv Turner and AJ Smith
* While I am happy for the vikes winning, I also gotta say, wtf... Texans?
* I still think part of the problem with the Smeagols is that their O-line seems quite porous, one thing is to sack Vick cuz he is very quick to leave the pocket, the other is to sack Foles, who is more of a pocket passer -- on the other hand, they would need to have a pocket in the first place...
* I still have my doubts about RGIII and his longevity in the game
* Rams - Bucs? Didn't bother.
* Wow, the colts are pretty much in as wildcards, right? I guess Crennel still has flashbacks whenever the other team uses the shotgun... (too soon?)
* New LOLeleans beating the LOLboys. That last play was a lot better with some Yakety Sax
* Big Ben is regressing badly, I still wonder if he rushed back to play after being injured midseason -- oh yeah? Todd Haley is not throwing picks, you are, Rapelisberger
* That said, I'm happy for the Bungles.
* I think the pats bothered to do just enough to beat the Jags
* Wow... Newton is a Jerkass, he kicked a raider and bumped a ref and didn't get ejected. He's a petulant child and I'd not mind a bounty on his ass.
* Didn't bother with LOLphins and BuffaLOL
* Aww, Was hoping for a FIFTYburger shutout by the Packers... Glad to see Rodgers is getting his weapons back.
* Do the CardiLULZ even have a QB? They're as bad as the Jets, if not worse -- I think even Sanchez would be an upgrade for them.
* Gnats are always a streaky team... too bad right now they're streaking downhill. Only problem is that they made Flacco look competent.
* Wow, Russell Wilson! Also... OUCH MANNINGHAM!!! I swear I saw a bone trying to stick out thru his skin right below his knee...
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:06 am

Klaudandus wrote:Things I learned about football from yesterday's games.

I'll add addendums here. Since I like your list.

* The Mile High Ponies and Peyton Manning continue being magical, although its easy being magical against the Browns... XD

The only thing that made that game watchable as a Browns fan was that I'm a huge Manning Fan.

* McCoy got some snaps, yay! and did ok, yay! QB controversy in Cleveland? hmm... maybe?

Maybe. But as this meme shows, there were some REAL Stinker throws.

Oh, and.... JOsh Cribbs can go to hell.

Yup. that's what he posted, he has since deleted it, but yes. a big F**k You to the fans. Good job, Asshole.

* For all the yds he gets, Stafford doesn't get that many TDs...

The big problem is, with an open field, he can hit megatron all he wants. But as the field shrinks, and they get closer to the Red Zone, they are able to more easily zone him deep with man close, or double cover him, or whatever. I had hopes that the Lions were going to improve off last season. I was wrong :(

* There's something odd about the Falcons... I feel they will be dismantled in the postseason game.

Their Running Game. They can't fall back on it. It may be a QB driven league, with lots of yards, and lots of TD's, and what not, but when you Pass to set up the run, great teams can take away the pass, and then your running game falls apart.

* I don't know who the QB of the future is for the Jets, but he surely isnt in that team

God... I thought that Arizona had QB problems. The Jets situation may very well be a lot worse.

* I really hope its the last year for Norv Turner and AJ Smith

One would hope, but a win like that sometimes does funny things. Even if it was a bad team they beat.

* While I am happy for the vikes winning, I also gotta say, wtf... Texans?

Those injuries are looking pretty bad right? They at least did their part to keep Peterson in check, but is there ANYONE who thinks that Peterson doesn't get 100 carries next week if that's what it takes?

* I still think part of the problem with the Smeagols is that their O-line seems quite porous, one thing is to sack Vick cuz he is very quick to leave the pocket, the other is to sack Foles, who is more of a pocket passer -- on the other hand, they would need to have a pocket in the first place...

The Eagle O Line reminds me of a wet paper bag.

* I still have my doubts about RGIII and his longevity in the game

I agree. He didn't run as much yesterday, but didn't need to. I'm curious to see what he does this offseason to improve his odds of lasting in a league where EVERYONE is big.

* Rams - Bucs? Didn't bother.

Jeff Fisher has the Rams playing HARD. VERY FREAKING HARD. And Josh Freeman needs glasses. That guy threw 4 more picks yesterday, on what would have otherwise been a decent performance.

* Wow, the colts are pretty much in as wildcards, right? I guess Crennel still has flashbacks whenever the other team uses the shotgun... (too soon?)

Maybe too soon. But man. The Colts look awesome. They really do. And with Pagano rejoining the team this week, I have a feeling that next week is going to be a site to behold.

* New LOLeleans beating the LOLboys. That last play was a lot better with some Yakety Sax

Jerry should fire himself. Then the new guy should fire Garrett. Then they should look at installing a coach who can teach discipline route running, disciplined blocking, disciplined running. They are just too sloppy.

* Big Ben is regressing badly, I still wonder if he rushed back to play after being injured midseason -- oh yeah? Todd Haley is not throwing picks, you are, Rapelisberger

Haley is gone at the end of the season. Ben hates the offense, and it shows.

* That said, I'm happy for the Bungles.

Look at that, get rid of the Penal system from your Team, and start drafting guys who spend more time on the field than in prison, and you can WIN.

* I think the pats bothered to do just enough to beat the Jags

It really did look that way didn't it? I mean... Wow. Could you have been more bored?

* Wow... Newton is a Jerkass, he kicked a raider and bumped a ref and didn't get ejected. He's a petulant child and I'd not mind a bounty on his ass.

VY2.0, RL2.0, JR2.0 Take your pick. He has massive character flaws.

* Didn't bother with LOLphins and BuffaLOL

Looking at the stats, I have two questions. 1.) Who thought that Bush could be a featured back before he got to Miami? I know I didn't. and 2.) Who thought that Tannehill could be as efficient as he was?

* Aww, Was hoping for a FIFTYburger shutout by the Packers... Glad to see Rodgers is getting his weapons back.

GB VS Den in Super Bowl.

* Do the CardiLULZ even have a QB? They're as bad as the Jets, if not worse -- I think even Sanchez would be an upgrade for them.

I disagree. I think that they have a QB.... He's just in College right now. And Sanchez isn't an upgrade over ANYTHING. I'd take the janitor running plays.

* Gnats are always a streaky team... too bad right now they're streaking downhill. Only problem is that they made Flacco look competent.

I like where Eli is right now. Firmly looking like the little brother.

* Wow, Russell Wilson! Also... OUCH MANNINGHAM!!! I swear I saw a bone trying to stick out thru his skin right below his knee...

Pete Carroll is going to coach himself into getting his players hurt with the running up the score thing.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:03 am

Oh, and for giggles, it was pointed out to me by my father, that we had enough games (before this week's game) to compare McCoy with one year, and NO Training Camp, under Shurmur with Weeden, a Rookie with a Training Camp Under Shurmur.

Some interesting stats.
  • Weeden had only thrown the ball 35 more times this season than McCoy did Last Season. That's 2.5 extra Throws Per Game for Weeden.
  • They have an almost identical (57.24 to 57.23) Completion %.
  • Weeden has thrown for 548 more Yards. One could argue that it is arm strength, or Better Receivers. (I'm on the better receivers band wagon personally, but I think that Josh Gordon was the best thing to happen to Greg Little in a LONG time.... He's pushed Little to get better every single game. They are going to be a good combo.)
  • McCoy was sacked 6 more times. But he surrenders far fewer yards on average per sack. 2.51 yards less per sack on average.
  • They had thrown for the same number of TD's.
  • McCoy had 6 less INT's.
  • McCoy had taken off to run 37 more times, and gained 105 more yards.
  • Weeden has the better YPC surprisingly.
  • Neither ran for a TD.
  • McCoy did fumble more. 5 more times (11-6). Surprising though, McCoy only lost 2 fumbles all season.
  • McCoy had 8 more "Meaningful Snaps" to judge (ATT's, Rushes, Sacks)
  • They both have 39.XX Snaps Per TD Ratios. Not very good.
  • McCoy obviously has the better Snaps to INT Ratio
  • Weeden Obviously has the better Snaps to Fumble Ratio
  • And WEeden has the better Snaps to Sack Ratio
  • WEeden also gains almost 1 yard per play more than McCoy did.
  • They are both really high on the Neg play per TO stat. Weeden at .09 to McCoy's .10. For reference, Tom brady is .05, and Peyton sports a .06.

Honestly, the two Qb's aren't that different. The only number that truly separates them so far, is age. McCoy is just 26. Weeden turned 29 this year.

I'll be the first to admit that my spreadsheet number running isn't "amazing" or even close to being a "new Stat", but removing the "eyeball" test, and judging by the numbers, drafting Weeden didn't improve the team this year, and the way everything is going on now, I don't imagine that it's going to get better this offseason, with new coaches, new staff, new schemes, probably a new offense.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:22 am

Musta been hard when CBS replayed The Drive.

Also, It's gonna be hard for Denver to get to the SB, out of the three division leaders they have played, they only beat the Ravens, and that's because Flacco sucks.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:27 am

Klaudandus wrote:Musta been hard when CBS replayed The Drive.

Also, It's gonna be hard for Denver to get to the SB, out of the three division leaders they have played, they only beat the Ravens, and that's because Flacco sucks.

They replayed the Drive, AND the Fumble. That was a bullshit thing to do. "Hey! Let's kick an entire team's fans in the FUCKING FACE while they are experiencing yet ANOTHER shitty season that will be followed by rebuilding.

F U CBS.
F....... U.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:42 am

I am in complete support of Cribbs. Fuck fans.

Klaudandus wrote:Also, It's gonna be hard for Denver to get to the SB, out of the three division leaders they have played, they only beat the Ravens, and that's because Flacco sucks.

Eh, Ravens have one of the worst defenses in the league now. Old combined with tons of injuries and very little ability to put pressure on a quarterback. That has slowly filtered through the media, though you still hear talk about how good their defense is from dumb media people.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

PreviousNext

Return to General