Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Paxen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:47 pm

Klaudandus wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/doping-were-legal-142450158.html

“When everyone can dope, it becomes a contest of who has the best information, who has the best access, who has the best doctor, and who has the most money. That’s what this contest is — it’s a chess game of information, connections and money,” co-Author Daniel Coyle told VeloNews just after the book’s release.

So everybody doping is not a level playing feel at all.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/10/ ... eld_262330
Paxen

Postby halabar » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:10 am

Klaudandus wrote:Godell aint gonna retire anytime soon... who's the fourth... NHL?

Yep, except when Bettman or whatever his name is gets done, there won't be a NHL to worry about.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:30 am

Paxen wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/doping-were-legal-142450158.html

“When everyone can dope, it becomes a contest of who has the best information, who has the best access, who has the best doctor, and who has the most money. That’s what this contest is — it’s a chess game of information, connections and money,” co-Author Daniel Coyle told VeloNews just after the book’s release.

So everybody doping is not a level playing feel at all.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/10/ ... eld_262330

But that's a specious argument because it's based on the myth that removing PEDs altoether levels the playing field. The problem is that every thing he's complaining about has always been and forever will be a "fairness" problem in sports even if PEDs didn't exist. Athletes with the most money, the best access to latest training information, the best trainers, the best equipment, and the best support have an advatage now.

Currently that's compounded by a barrier of athletes who don't want to cheat versus athletes willing to take that risk, and of course all those issues crop up again among the cheaters, so right now it's the worst of all worlds.

I'm not saying I'm necessarily in favor of PEDs use, (I think implementation is what matters) but that complaint in particular is rather hollow.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:08 am

Watch the Lattimore injury video -- scream like a little girl
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:33 pm

Shoju wrote:I don't know if I would go so far as to allow them to use anything and everything, because some of the drugs can and do, have just awful side effects.

The thing about this is... if they were made legal, far more testing would be involved, so the side effects would be more widely known.

I mean think about it, even with over-the-counter meds, people can still die from them (by taking improper dosage, etc.) but as long as you're old enough (18+) then you're still allowed to purchase them.

I'm not saying it would be perfect (as nothing ever is) but I don't think it would be nearly as bad as you're suggesting.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:36 am

Things from sunday football
- Peyton and his pony magic!
- Saints have the worst defense (allowed +400 yds in each of their games this season)
- LOLBears trolling Cam Newton (Panters have almost 4 times as much yds on the offense and still lost)
- Vick will prolly get benched
- Some rumors even have Reid getting fired today
- Quinn courageously lasted about 3 plays before getting replaced by Cassel
- Might as well start Tebow, the Jets cannot get any worse than this.
- LOL Romo and the Cowgirls
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:02 am

Klaudandus wrote:Things from sunday football
- Peyton and his pony magic!

My wife was so happy to see that game.

- Saints have the worst defense (allowed +400 yds in each of their games this season)

Someone once said NFL coaches didn't matter. I beg to differ. This years saints prove that.

- LOLBears trolling Cam Newton (Panters have almost 4 times as much yds on the offense and still lost)

The Bears are for real I think.

- Vick will prolly get benched

He should. He has played AWFUL

- Some rumors even have Reid getting fired today

LOL. No.

- Quinn courageously lasted about 3 plays before getting replaced by Cassel

Crennel woke up and said "WAIT I DON"T WANT TO GET FIRED AGAIN!"

- Might as well start Tebow, the Jets cannot get any worse than this.

Yes. They could. They could start Tebow.

- LOL Romo and the Cowgirls

Man.. They have just... no idea how to manage time.

A few more:

- DA CHARGERS! WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CHARGERS!? Seriously. You show up in Cleveland and score 2 field goals? Uh.... wow.
- Brandon Weeden doesn't look awful. The playcalling looks terrible, but Wheelchair doesn't look terrible. Of the RC QBS, (After this week)

2nd in Passing Yds
last in Comp %, BUT according tot he Elias Sports People, he has also thrown the most "Catchable" Passes that have been dropped of any QB in the league this year
Second in TD's.

Unfortunately, he is first in INT's as well, but I'm just surprised at how not bloody awful he has been with the youngest team in the NFL. I don't know if I'm ready to say that he is going to be "Good" but, he's not going to be as awful as some of the others we have had recently.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:15 am

Well, the jets are already a circus, just go with tebow.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Teranoid » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:43 am

If Andy Reid gets fired before Norv Turner something is seriously wrong.
Teranoid

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:00 pm

Teranoid wrote:If Andy Reid gets fired before Norv Turner something is seriously wrong.

It's AJ Smith and Spanos... they're prolly wishing for a total implosion so they can relocate to LA
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:38 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
Teranoid wrote:If Andy Reid gets fired before Norv Turner something is seriously wrong.

It's AJ Smith and Spanos... they're prolly wishing for a total implosion so they can relocate to LA

If either of them go before Shurmur, something is woefully, terribly wrong.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:05 am

Holy crap, I'm scheduled to blow out my opponent in Fantasy Football this week by 45 points, and 2 of my best players (Stevan Ridley and Gronk) are on bye... My league this year is all "my" Friends / Acquaintances. The guy I'm playing against, has regularly kicked my ass at FF the past few years. I guess that's what happens when the league takes a dump on you.

My wife is also playing this year, and is gleefully enjoying her success, especially because it comes with Peyton Manning as her starting QB.

My son, is not doing so well this year. His team's bright spot has been Trent Richardson.
Shoju

Postby Teranoid » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:08 am

Yeah I won by 38 this week.. would have been more if I had ESP and knew Alex Smith was actually going to throw more than 1 ball to Crabtree so I benched him for Maclin (why I continue to do this with Vick being garbage I have no idea).

Makes up for the past few weeks where my team has absolutely shit the bed and almost drove me to drinking.
Teranoid

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:27 am

Teranoid wrote:Yeah I won by 38 this week.. would have been more if I had ESP and knew Alex Smith was actually going to throw more than 1 ball to Crabtree so I benched him for Maclin (why I continue to do this with Vick being garbage I have no idea).

Makes up for the past few weeks where my team has absolutely shit the bed and almost drove me to drinking.

I'm 5-2 so far this season. One of my losses was to the guy with the worst record in the league. Why did it happen? Because the one week that Jamaal Charles actually put up a monster week, I was so frustrated with the lack of production that I benched him. He dropped 34 points in our format, and I lost by 10. The other loss came to the only undefeated in the league (and the guy I'm chasing in my division).

I was lucky and stole RGIII in the 8th round, and he ended up being my starting QB 2 weeks into the season when his numbers were just... staggering compared to Drew Brees. SO I traded Brees for another Backup QB,and Stevan Ridley to help round out my roster. It's been a good move. I'm a little worried that I will be relying on Romo as my starting QB for his bye, but It doesn't coincide with any of my other byes, so I should be ok (crossing fingers), even if Romo drops a turd again.

At this point, unless there is a catastrophic breakdown of my team, I will make the playoffs, which is where I always screw it up. I second guess myself, and always end up making some bone-headed move that comes back to kick me right in the teeth.

I'm hoping to avoid that this year. I only play 1 or 2 leagues a year (normally one autodraft, and one I pick, but just the one I pick this year). I'm hoping this is the year I go from finishing 2nd or 3rd, to the year I can bring home some bacon. Seriously. We play for a pound of bacon.
Shoju

Postby Teranoid » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:06 am

Shoju wrote:I second guess myself, and always end up making some bone-headed move that comes back to kick me right in the teeth.

Heh welcome to what has happened to every person to ever play Fantasy Football in the history of the world. I've made it back to 4-4 after three TURRIBLE weeks. We're talking like I'm embarrassed to even acknowledge those weeks happened. Finally had enough of Carolina making next to no use of DeAngelo Williams and replaced him with that kid from Arizona. Even if he only gets like 10 touches a game and gets like 40 yards that's a hell of a lot more than the pedestrian 3 points I've gotten out of Williams because Carolina sucks.

I could not imagine playing Romo unless it's against a ridiculously terrible defense like Philly or New Orleans. Sure he'll get you close to 300 YPG but he also kills you with 4 picks and unlike reality, fantasy doesn't give a shit if it was Dez Bryant again being the colossal waste of a roster spot that he is. I don't think I could handle starting someone who made me spend my entire week deciding how badly he could fuck me over.
Teranoid

PreviousNext

Return to General