All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:38 am

http://deadspin.com/5946112/the-lingeri ... competence
Not sure if the laugh or be sad about it.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:13 am

Klaudandus wrote:Fuck the scabby potato refs!

Tonight's MNF Screwjob is possibly the biggest black eye yet in what was a horrible Week 3 when it came to officiating...

Week 1 was passable, Week 2 was bleh... Week 3 had the officiating actually costing games.

I watch the Browns, Broncos games when they are on in my area, and then SNF and MNF. Last week, SNF and MNF were painful to watch. This week? I saw how out of control SNF got, and changed it to something else, and I watched the voice with my wife, only turning in for the 4th q of MNF.

I'm not sure I will be watching much football until the refs get back. This has reached a level of wretchedness that I just can't stomach anymore. There was a pretty good tweet last night from someone regarding what happened.

"Russell Wilson became the first QB in history to throw a game-winning interception."
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:18 am

I dont think the replacement refs are defendable anymore after SNF and MNF... and the helmet to helmet hit on DHB
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:29 am

Klaudandus wrote:I dont think the replacement refs are defendable anymore after SNF and MNF... and the helmet to helmet hit on DHB

And the Offensive Pass Interference that they claimed was Defensive Pass Interference.
And the Offensive Pass interference that wasn't called on he Hail Mary
And the Ruling that the Hail Mary was a touchdown.
And the Roughing the Passer on that drive
And the UFC-esque fights that they allowed between Baltimore and NE
And the ages it takes them to get a call wrong
And marching off a penalty from the wrong 44

I'm not very active on Twitter, I have an account to comment on Mike and Mike, and to keep up with a couple of friends who are touring, and a couple of bands I like, but wow.... twitter blew up last night about that. Troy Aikman called the games jokes, Linda Cohn said that the WWE had more integrity than Week 3.

If I were Roger Goodell, I would be standing in front of a podium today, and issuing a public apology. With all the talk about "Protecting the Shield" and "Player Safety", this is getting out of hand. This doesn't protect the brand of the nfl and it surely isn't going to protect the players.

On Mike and Mike this morning, you had Chris Carter and Herm Edwards both say that the games look more violent, and that the players are pushing the envelope on what they can do because the officials aren't calling stuff. This is a bad situation.

After iGoodell got done with my public apology, I would call all 32 owners personally, and tell them to get their asses to New York. I'd then call Ed and Mike Carey, and say "Get your guys to New York.

I would lock them all in a Hotel Bandquet hall and tell them no one is leaving until its done. This is terrible.
Shoju

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:12 am

Klaudandus wrote:I dont think the replacement refs are defendable anymore after SNF and MNF... and the helmet to helmet hit on DHB

Well I think that particular helmet to helmet hit gets missed as often as it's called, with the two defenders colliding at impact, it was pretty tough to see at full speed.

That said, along with the calls, I'm sick of the players crying on every penalty, the coaches trying to intimidate the officials, and the commentators ridiculously irresponsible diatribes during the game. The whole thing is out of control, and at this point I'm worried that when the regular refs get back it won't change. This had better not be the new normal. Regardless of who is officiating next week, the league needs to reign that crap in and fast.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Shoju » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:31 am

Fridmarr wrote:

Well I think that particular helmet to helmet hit gets missed as often as it's called, with the two defenders colliding at impact, it was pretty tough to see at full speed.

That said, along with the calls, I'm sick of the players crying on every penalty, the coaches trying to intimidate the officials, and the commentators ridiculously irresponsible diatribes during the game. The whole thing is out of control, and at this point I'm worried that when the regular refs get back it won't change. This had better not be the new normal. Regardless of who is officiating next week, the league needs to reign that crap in and fast.

I guess I don't see them crying at every penalty. I couldn't imagine going to work every day, and having the replacement regulators screwing up my business. I think the MNF crew was as diplomatic as you could be last night, and the SNF crew was really spot on with the "game is getting out of control" comments before I changed it.

I don't think that the league can reign it in as long as the replacements take the field. The bitterness has already boiled over. Week 2 was the boiling point, week 3 is when the boil started overflowing out of the pan. The only solution that is going to put the players and coaches at rest is to get the refs back ASAP. I don't see anyway out of this for the NFL now. Maybe before this past weekend, but not now.

I will agree though, that this can't become the new normal when the normal officials get back. If it is, the Golden Goose is the Dead Duck.
Shoju

Postby halabar » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:52 am

The thing is, I think Goodell would bend on all the other points if the Refs gave up on that pension demand. NO one gets that kind of deal anymore. The Refs need to bend on that, but they won't and this will drag on.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:46 am

Looks like NFL will make an statement
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... line_stack
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:07 am

I think they already did.They said earlier that it should not have been overturned but that pass interference should have been called on Tate.

Basically a cop out.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby halabar » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:51 am

LOL at all the columnists raging about the NFL and the refs, and then in the fine print they put that the refs still want a pension that full time employees don't get.

I firmly believe that the NFL would double their salaries if they would give up on the pension demand and back down on the "farm team".
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Shoju » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:12 am

halabar wrote:LOL at all the columnists raging about the NFL and the refs, and then in the fine print they put that the refs still want a pension that full time employees don't get.

I firmly believe that the NFL would double their salaries if they would give up on the pension demand and back down on the "farm team".

I think the thing that bothers me more than the NFL refs wanting the pension plan, is that the NFL has (your words not mine) Full Time Employess who don't.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:20 am

The NFL is racking billions in profit... they claim they hold player safety above everything else, but its them being miserly that is causing safety concerns (DHB is a good example) and things are bound to get worse if things are not reigned in (and I dont think they can with the scab potato foot locker dudes)

It's amusing, and yet sad, that TJ Lang said "Fuck it NFL.. Fine me and use the money to pay the regular refs." -- The worst part? NFL will fine him and pocket that money instead of doing something useful with it.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:21 am

Well those columnists keep harping on the notion that since the total cost is such a small portion of the NFL's revenue that the owners should just pay it. To me that is just terrible logic. You don't become wealthy by paying more than the fair market value for something and it is irresponsible (detestable even) to suggest that someone should simply because they can afford it.

Why not instead make the argument that these officials are worth the value that they are asking for? That would be much more compelling.

I got to see the NFL's breakdown (via ESPN )of that call the other night...by issuing that guidance they just redefined what “possession" means when making a catch. At least it doesn't seem to be exploitable but still they needed to own up to that being a bad call.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:24 am

The twitter thread by NFL players, on that call, is highly amusing to say the least

http://deadspin.com/5946113/fine-me-and ... er-tweets-[updating]
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:26 am

Klaudandus wrote:The NFL is racking billions in profit... they claim they hold player safety above everything else, but its them being miserly that is causing safety concerns (DHB is a good example)

What? You're going to have to explain that one.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General