Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:28 am

OH hell Fridmarr, you found me out. I can't hide it anymore. You are totally right. I'm totally prejudiced against your wife, I'm predujiced against myself, and that tard who did the Ryan Braun drug test. I also hate every person on Maintankadin who works part time, and have no respect for any maintankadiner them. You got me.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Or......................................... Maybe you are just putting too much into my words.

Maybe, I just feel that billion dollar industries shouldn't outsource drug testing to part time people who don't work for a testing facility, and that another billion dollar industry should move on from part time referees who have careers in other things not related to the job of officiating, should move on from that model, and strive to make things better. Because I feel that things could be better if they were full time. Maybe, possibly, I think in the instance of NFL officials, that I mean that there should be more offseason work to prepare them for the season. Maybe that's my opinion. Maybe I think that the preparation should be more. Maybe I think that they should be doing more.

Maybe, my comment about the guy being a fan, and "my out of bounds thought that he could have been racist" was because he was "part time", and not because I feel that the process by which the MLB chooses their people to handle the specimens is flawed? Surely, I must mean that all people that are part time (including myself mind you) are idiots. Jump to conclusions much? Maybe, possibly, I just think that in the mlb case, what I meant was that I think that the MLB should have used a lab worker, an employee of a testing lab, not some random guy. And if I wanted to respond to your claims about suggesting he's "racist" is so out of bounds, I could point to the problems with the replacement officials, being fans, and how the NFL which has a huge vetting process, and standards / rules with their "Normal" officials totally botched that with the replacements.

Maybe my beef about part time isn't with the person who works part time. Maybe my beef with it is with the companies who treat their employees like garbage because they are part time, and I don't feel that they are given the ability to be successful in the same manner that a full time employee is in SOME SITUATIONS (Bolded and capped to make sure that we understand that I'm not talking about every person in the world here, like Fridmarr would suggest). Maybe I think that a full time specimen collector wouldn't have been screwed the way that the part time guy was. Maybe I think that the MLB left him out to dry a little.

I don't know what the hell your beef with me is. You are taking an instance, where I said I didn't like the idea that the MLB was using part time workers who didn't work for a drug testing lab, and an instance where I said that I think that the NFL should move the NFL Official job from part time to full time, and turning that into something about how I have no respect for part time workers.

Maybe, possibly, I don't have some fucking beef with part time people all over the world. Maybe, you took comments that I made and are trying to make it a bigger issue than it is.

But, you're probably right. I'm probably just some bastard who thinks that if you can't have a full time job, you must suck at something pretty terrible. Wow. I do hate myself.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6349
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:46 am

I have no beef with you, I don't know you from Adam. I'm not trying to start shit with you. I can only go by what you write. You just went on a little rage chastising me for trying add meaning to your words, well there's your words. I'm responding to what you have written, and that's it. This will be my last set of comments about the whole part time thing, it's a digression that I don't want to continue. Respond/don't respond if you want, but then we'll move on.

Now, I don't believe you directly think less of part time workers. I was asking (not accusing) you those questions and giving you those examples as a way to one, try to understand your perspective and two, hopefully make you realize that ultimately it doesn't matter. I get that your feelings stem from the corporate side, not the individual worker, but at the end of the day, that doesn't make it any better at all, and doesn't stand up to any sort of logical scrutiny either. It's a mess any way you look at it.

When I hear the term part time, to me that merely means a person who is generally working less at that job than 40 hours per week. Why that might be is for all sorts of possible reasons. That's it, beyond that it's 100% meaningless. Undeniably, that's not the case for you. You give it some other additional meaning, because otherwise it wouldn't matter at all. The drug testing process certainly wouldn't be in doubt, merely because the courier is a part time employee, which you correlated several times.

Now you say it's about the process, well what process? I don't think the process of the test is changed at all based on the full time/part time status of the employee who transported the package. Do you think that part time workers can't be background checked or otherwise vetted? That they are necessarily less accountable, what is it? You deflect and say that a billion dollar industry shouldn't outsource to part time people? Why the heck not? What's the difference? Obviously, you feel that there is a significant difference on some level, what is it? How could that possibly result in the testing process being invalid just because the employee is part time?

Back to the NFL refs. The reason the NFL wants these guys to be full time employees is so that the league can have the refs under their thumb. Part of the reason that locking out these officials isn't very effective at making them bow to the NFL's wishes is because they do have other jobs and other sources of income. They can more easily get by without the money from officiating because of that. That's a pretty big leverage point the NFL is trying to squelch. Honestly, I'm not even sure how serious the NFL even is about the whole full time thing. It seems to be an after thought in the reporting I've read. One of those kitchen sink items that you are OK in not getting under the guise of looking like you compromised by not getting it.

I wouldn't expect to see a dramatic uptick in time that refs spend preparing if they do become full time employees. Even if you factor in the full pre and post season, add a little bit of prep time to the front and back end, you are still only looking at 8 months. Even if they sleep under a rock for the entire offseason, they have more than enough (like a 100 times over) time to prepare, to learn and study the new rules, to review points of emphasis, performance, and peer review. They already do all that stuff, and I'm sure they are doing some things in the off season too. The NFL isn't suggesting that these guys aren't prepared, because that's not what the full time issue is really about.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 9665
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:11 am

And the Pirates are below .500 -- on the other hand, at least they aren't the Red Sox
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 11012
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: All about sports

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:14 am

/cry
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 9665
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: All about sports

Postby halabar » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:51 am

and the Angels and Dodgers are officially toast. It would take a collapse by the other teams on the scale of what the Bucket&Suds crew could provide, but sadly, they aren't chasing the Bucket&Suds crew...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 9372
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:43 am

halabar wrote:and the Angels and Dodgers are officially toast. It would take a collapse by the other teams on the scale of what the Bucket&Suds crew could provide, but sadly, they aren't chasing the Bucket&Suds crew...


I have an intense hatred for the dodgers, so it ok.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 11012
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:23 am

I'm currently of the opinion that Manny Acta should be fired. Two straight seasons post All Star Break the Indians have hit a losing streak, and have been unable to pull out of the tailspin and ended up crashing and burning.

Production has fallen off at the plate, Fielding has been "Meh", and the Pitching falls into a funk (or in the case of Masterson, a year long funk).

I wont debate that some of this is on the players. But the job of a manager, and coaching staff is to motivate, recognize problems, and coach the players out of it. I just don't see where they cannot be held accountable for this.

Last year, they were at least able to salvage the end of the season and look respectable. This year, it's a full on free fall.

Fire him. And then, how about this time we hire someone that has proven they can win something.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6349
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Flex » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:48 am

Shoju wrote:I wont debate that some of this is on the players. But the job of a manager, and coaching staff is to motivate, recognize problems, and coach the players out of it. I just don't see where they cannot be held accountable for this.


Just look at Baltimore's starting pitching issues this year to see the effect of management on the team. Demoted 3 of their 5 opening day starters to the minor leagues and are now using them as relief pitchers with the expanded lineup but also gives them some depth in case of injury or needing long relief.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 7499
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:16 am

Shoju wrote:I wont debate that some of this is on the players. But the job of a manager, and coaching staff is to motivate, recognize problems, and coach the players out of it. I just don't see where they cannot be held accountable for this.


I just wonder why Bobby V gets a pass then...
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 11012
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: All about sports

Postby Flex » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:17 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Shoju wrote:I wont debate that some of this is on the players. But the job of a manager, and coaching staff is to motivate, recognize problems, and coach the players out of it. I just don't see where they cannot be held accountable for this.


I just wonder why Bobby V gets a pass then...


The Sox ownership is horrible?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 7499
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:22 am

Flex wrote:The Sox ownership is horrible?


Well, yeah, but even my mom knew Bobby V was a horrible hiring.

When she found out she was like "Eh, call me when next season starts" -- I had a little more faith on him initially, considering that he once took the Mets back in 2000? (can't remember) to the WS, with Al Leiter and Mike Hampton as his main starting pitchers... boy was I wrong.

So yeah, you can lay the fault at the ownership's feet regarding the Bobby V hiring, but Bobby V being Bobby V is only Bobby V's fault, which does get some pass (outside Boston), even from baseball journalists.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 11012
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: All about sports

Postby Teranoid » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:15 pm

Klaudandus wrote:And the Pirates are below .500 -- on the other hand, at least they aren't the Red Sox


At this point I wish they would have been because at least they would have won something in the past 20 years.
User avatar
Teranoid
 
Posts: 2156
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:16 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pirates--- ... oke--.html
Interesting article about the Pirates
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 11012
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:47 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
Shoju wrote:I wont debate that some of this is on the players. But the job of a manager, and coaching staff is to motivate, recognize problems, and coach the players out of it. I just don't see where they cannot be held accountable for this.


I just wonder why Bobby V gets a pass then...


I give a manager a pass in the first season. IMO, it takes time to get things going. Bobby V could be a good manager for the Sox, but it will never happen, because the Sox ownership is going to nee a scapegoat for an abysmal season because their stars didn't want a heavy handed manager, after having a more mellow management style from Francona.

Hell, I would almost ask for bobby V to come to the tribe, but I don't think that's what we need.

What we need, is a guy like Joe Maddon. A guy who is old enough to get the... "Manager" respect, but young enough to not be a crazy old fart. Someone who can eek every last ounce of talent out of a roster, and develop young talent.

We need a front office that can do the following.
  • Spend money. I know we aren't the Yanks, but damn.
  • Not give Grady I'm Fucking Hurt Again Before Stepping on the Field Sizemore another courtesy contract, who realizes that Carlos Santana is not a good hitter.
  • Realize Travis Hafner is a streaky hitter since the juice is out of the game (I think he was a juicer. His numbers hint at it. There is no proof though)
  • Stop getting over the hill veterans.
  • Stop trading away talent (the list of stars who were originally drafted by the Indians makes me a little nauseous.

There is a host of other things I would love to see them do, but those are top lists.

At this point, I haven't watched an Indians game in ~1 month.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6349
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:27 pm

Fuck the scabby potato refs!

Tonight's MNF Screwjob is possibly the biggest black eye yet in what was a horrible Week 3 when it came to officiating...

Week 1 was passable, Week 2 was bleh... Week 3 had the officiating actually costing games.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 11012
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest