Remove Advertisements

Scientists make startling discovery

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Scientists make startling discovery

Postby halabar » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:04 pm

Klaudandus wrote:that makes as much sense as me panicking the world because I say there's a big asteroid, that somehow remains undetected, that is gonna hit earth on december...

I have no proof, and if I am right its pure dumb luck...

You cheated and talked to the Mayans..
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:36 pm

halabar wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:that makes as much sense as me panicking the world because I say there's a big asteroid, that somehow remains undetected, that is gonna hit earth on december...

I have no proof, and if I am right its pure dumb luck...

You cheated and talked to the Mayans..

The Mayans didn't have leap year, so unless they're just that good at predicting that we'd create leap year... the world actually ended a few months ago and we just haven't realized it yet.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby tullock » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:55 am

The mayans also didnt use the standard 365 day calander that we use, so unless the people who converted the whole december 21st end of the world nonsense did it before ceasar added leap year a few thousand years ago, it doesnt really matter that the mayans didnt know about leap year. Not that i actually think the world is gonna end, but yeah.
tullock
Maintankadonor

Postby degre » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:46 am

Koatanga wrote:
degre wrote:I think is a poor translation, as what is happening is similarly idiot but slightly different.

There was some retard trying to make a name for himself and announcing a big one coming based on some radon crap, gained quite a following and there was panic in the population, so these scientists invited to calm and pushed in the opposite direction, preaching calm and trying to chill out people saying that was just a quake swarm and nothing big was coming.

Based on these they have put on trial the scientists trying to calm the public, as they claim that by inviting the population to chill and saying that nothing was coming, the population didn't react properly when the big one came.

What pisses me off is not only that they have put on trial the people that tried to avoid panic spread, but that the retard that started and fuelled all the panic is not being trialled instead.

Correct me if I have it wrong, but what I think you're saying is a guy predicted a big one, then the rational scientists calmed people down so they weren't prepared when the big one came. Whether through luck, legitimate science, or quackery, it sounds to me as if the original guy did predict a big one, so why should he be put on trial? He may have something with his radon crap that might warrant further investigation. Or it could be dumb luck.

Giuliani bases his claims on some radon researches that have been done now for some 50 years and that proved to be unreliable.

In presence of a quake you have radon release, so the theory is that by monitoring for it you should be able to predict when a quake comes. This theory unfortunately doesn't work as we have plenty of data with massive quakes releasing close to no radon against minor seismic events barely registered by equipment showing huge releases. There is plenty of data online and anyone who's done some researching into it can confirm you the same thing, radon is not reliable.

This brings us back to Giuliani, he's a lab assistant or something that's been messing with radon theories for a while without any evident result, he already had a history of predicting quakes, and failing at it.

In this specific case everyone suspected something major could happen, it was months that a quake swarm was at work in that area, so his prediction was as reliable as the one of your average citizen that has been living for months with the ground shacking: 'A big one is coming!' His actual prediction was wrong, as he predicted another place miles away and with a different timing, which means that if authorities would have given him credit they could have ended up clearing a town where nothing was going to happen with the sole result of interrupting normal life there, maybe some people could have even found shelter in l'Aquila and could have resulted in an even bigger tally count.

Hence yeah, for me he should see the shit end of the stick and pay the price for the bollocks he said.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby Holyblaze » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:18 pm

DARK MATTER!!!!! YES!

Come on now folks! more than 80% of the matter in the Universe may have been found?

I did not even know that NASA had the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer doing its thing on the ISS. haha Love this shiat!

So...anyone know what theories could change if they have found this sexy stuff?
"Take what you know of the Light...when you walk in darkness." - Mom
Holyblaze

Postby Fetzie » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:07 pm

Holyblaze wrote:DARK MATTER!!!!! YES!

Come on now folks! more than 80% of the matter in the Universe may have been found?

I did not even know that NASA had the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer doing its thing on the ISS. haha Love this shiat!

So...anyone know what theories could change if they have found this sexy stuff?

The whole "will the Universe contract or expand infinitely when it reaches its end of life" would be an interesting one to mull over.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Passionario » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:43 am

Skye1013 wrote:The Mayans didn't have leap year, so unless they're just that good at predicting that we'd create leap year... the world actually ended a few months ago and we just haven't realized it yet.

Indeed. We're all characters living in a post-apocalyptic setting now.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:29 pm

Worst post-apocalyptic setting ever...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to General