Page 6 of 6

Re: Scientists make startling discovery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:32 pm
by Klaudandus
but can we clone dinosaurs out of them?

Re: Scientists make startling discovery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:39 pm
by Skye1013
They aren't mosquitos... so unless the wasp and/or spider was also feeding on dinosaur blood, I'm going to have to say no.

Re: Scientists make startling discovery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:37 pm
by Sagara
Klaudandus wrote:but can we clone dinosaurs out of them?


Giant, eight legged dino-spiders? Yes please!

Re: Scientists make startling discovery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:35 pm
by Passionario
Klaudandus wrote:but can we clone dinosaurs out of them?

No, but we can do their dailies for Klaxxi rep.

Re: Scientists make startling discovery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:43 pm
by Fridmarr
On a different and very sad note, some Italian scientists were convicted of manslaughter for not providing adequate warning about an earthquake that killed some 300 People.

I honestly don't know the scientific arguments around this case so please correct me if I'm way off base here, but my gut reaction is that holding people criminally responsible for something like this, even if they read the warning signs wrong, is a dangerously slippery slope.

Http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/news/ ... tsrc=yahoo

Re: Scientists make startling discovery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:58 pm
by halabar
Fridmarr wrote:On a different and very sad note, some Italian scientists were convicted of manslaughter for not providing adequate warning about an earthquake that killed some 300 People.

I honestly don't know the scientific arguments around this case so please correct me if I'm way off base here, but my gut reaction is that holding people criminally responsible for something like this, even if they read the warning signs wrong, is a dangerously slippery slope.

Http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/news/ ... tsrc=yahoo


And they aren't going after the contractors for shoddy construction?

Re: Scientists make startling discovery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:02 pm
by Klaudandus
Those shoddy contractors are part of the mafia, the scientists arent.

Re: Scientists make startling discovery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:38 pm
by degre
I think is a poor translation, as what is happening is similarly idiot but slightly different.

There was some retard trying to make a name for himself and announcing a big one coming based on some radon crap, gained quite a following and there was panic in the population, so these scientists invited to calm and pushed in the opposite direction, preaching calm and trying to chill out people saying that was just a quake swarm and nothing big was coming.

Based on these they have put on trial the scientists trying to calm the public, as they claim that by inviting the population to chill and saying that nothing was coming, the population didn't react properly when the big one came.

What pisses me off is not only that they have put on trial the people that tried to avoid panic spread, but that the retard that started and fuelled all the panic is not being trialled instead.

Re: Scientists make startling discovery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:46 pm
by Koatanga
degre wrote:I think is a poor translation, as what is happening is similarly idiot but slightly different.

There was some retard trying to make a name for himself and announcing a big one coming based on some radon crap, gained quite a following and there was panic in the population, so these scientists invited to calm and pushed in the opposite direction, preaching calm and trying to chill out people saying that was just a quake swarm and nothing big was coming.

Based on these they have put on trial the scientists trying to calm the public, as they claim that by inviting the population to chill and saying that nothing was coming, the population didn't react properly when the big one came.

What pisses me off is not only that they have put on trial the people that tried to avoid panic spread, but that the retard that started and fuelled all the panic is not being trialled instead.


Correct me if I have it wrong, but what I think you're saying is a guy predicted a big one, then the rational scientists calmed people down so they weren't prepared when the big one came. Whether through luck, legitimate science, or quackery, it sounds to me as if the original guy did predict a big one, so why should he be put on trial? He may have something with his radon crap that might warrant further investigation. Or it could be dumb luck.

Re: Scientists make startling discovery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:52 pm
by Klaudandus
that makes as much sense as me panicking the world because I say there's a big asteroid, that somehow remains undetected, that is gonna hit earth on december...

I have no proof, and if I am right its pure dumb luck...

Re: Scientists make startling discovery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:04 pm
by halabar
Klaudandus wrote:that makes as much sense as me panicking the world because I say there's a big asteroid, that somehow remains undetected, that is gonna hit earth on december...

I have no proof, and if I am right its pure dumb luck...


You cheated and talked to the Mayans..

Re: Scientists make startling discovery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:36 pm
by Skye1013
halabar wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:that makes as much sense as me panicking the world because I say there's a big asteroid, that somehow remains undetected, that is gonna hit earth on december...

I have no proof, and if I am right its pure dumb luck...


You cheated and talked to the Mayans..

The Mayans didn't have leap year, so unless they're just that good at predicting that we'd create leap year... the world actually ended a few months ago and we just haven't realized it yet.

Re: Scientists make startling discovery

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:55 am
by tullock
The mayans also didnt use the standard 365 day calander that we use, so unless the people who converted the whole december 21st end of the world nonsense did it before ceasar added leap year a few thousand years ago, it doesnt really matter that the mayans didnt know about leap year. Not that i actually think the world is gonna end, but yeah.

Re: Scientists make startling discovery

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:46 am
by degre
Koatanga wrote:
degre wrote:I think is a poor translation, as what is happening is similarly idiot but slightly different.

There was some retard trying to make a name for himself and announcing a big one coming based on some radon crap, gained quite a following and there was panic in the population, so these scientists invited to calm and pushed in the opposite direction, preaching calm and trying to chill out people saying that was just a quake swarm and nothing big was coming.

Based on these they have put on trial the scientists trying to calm the public, as they claim that by inviting the population to chill and saying that nothing was coming, the population didn't react properly when the big one came.

What pisses me off is not only that they have put on trial the people that tried to avoid panic spread, but that the retard that started and fuelled all the panic is not being trialled instead.


Correct me if I have it wrong, but what I think you're saying is a guy predicted a big one, then the rational scientists calmed people down so they weren't prepared when the big one came. Whether through luck, legitimate science, or quackery, it sounds to me as if the original guy did predict a big one, so why should he be put on trial? He may have something with his radon crap that might warrant further investigation. Or it could be dumb luck.

Giuliani bases his claims on some radon researches that have been done now for some 50 years and that proved to be unreliable.

In presence of a quake you have radon release, so the theory is that by monitoring for it you should be able to predict when a quake comes. This theory unfortunately doesn't work as we have plenty of data with massive quakes releasing close to no radon against minor seismic events barely registered by equipment showing huge releases. There is plenty of data online and anyone who's done some researching into it can confirm you the same thing, radon is not reliable.

This brings us back to Giuliani, he's a lab assistant or something that's been messing with radon theories for a while without any evident result, he already had a history of predicting quakes, and failing at it.

In this specific case everyone suspected something major could happen, it was months that a quake swarm was at work in that area, so his prediction was as reliable as the one of your average citizen that has been living for months with the ground shacking: 'A big one is coming!' His actual prediction was wrong, as he predicted another place miles away and with a different timing, which means that if authorities would have given him credit they could have ended up clearing a town where nothing was going to happen with the sole result of interrupting normal life there, maybe some people could have even found shelter in l'Aquila and could have resulted in an even bigger tally count.

Hence yeah, for me he should see the shit end of the stick and pay the price for the bollocks he said.

Re: Scientists make startling discovery

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:18 pm
by Holyblaze
DARK MATTER!!!!! YES!

Come on now folks! more than 80% of the matter in the Universe may have been found?

I did not even know that NASA had the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer doing its thing on the ISS. haha Love this shiat!

So...anyone know what theories could change if they have found this sexy stuff?

Re: Scientists make startling discovery

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:07 pm
by Fetzie
Holyblaze wrote:DARK MATTER!!!!! YES!

Come on now folks! more than 80% of the matter in the Universe may have been found?

I did not even know that NASA had the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer doing its thing on the ISS. haha Love this shiat!

So...anyone know what theories could change if they have found this sexy stuff?

The whole "will the Universe contract or expand infinitely when it reaches its end of life" would be an interesting one to mull over.

Re: Scientists make startling discovery

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:43 am
by Passionario
Skye1013 wrote:The Mayans didn't have leap year, so unless they're just that good at predicting that we'd create leap year... the world actually ended a few months ago and we just haven't realized it yet.


Indeed. We're all characters living in a post-apocalyptic setting now.

Re: Scientists make startling discovery

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:29 pm
by Skye1013
Worst post-apocalyptic setting ever...