Need a new game!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Need a new game!

Postby semp » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:00 pm

Looking for a new PC game to play. Any other good MMOs around that I haven't played? So far i've played Asheron's Call, WoW, Age of Conan, and lastly Rift. Not really interested in EQ. What other good MMOs or RPGs are out there worth playing?

Thanks
semp

Re: Need a new game!

Postby masterpoobaa » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:43 pm

Not an RPG or MMORPG, but I now Play Serious Sam HD more often than wow.
A good way to blow off some steam by slaughtering a few thousand baddies!
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Ghastard » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:42 pm

If you like strat and PvP at all...play some free to play League of Legends. It's been soaking up most of my free time now.
Ghastard

Postby Invisusira » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:00 pm

Jump on the EVE bandwagon, we've already got a decent MTadin crew going there:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32064

PM me your email for a buddy invite if you're interested (and let's be honest everyone is interested in internet spaceships).
Invisusira

Postby Taeron » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:49 am

Giving up on WoW for the second time now, I've been wasting what little time I have lootwhoring in Dungeon Siege III (and has been quite fun, I have to say, I finished it once and will go for immediate replay on Hard). I'm considering Warhammer 40k: Space Marines (though I think that's console only) for a little brainless pew pew, while waiting for Skyrim and Guild Wars 2.
Taeron

Postby Levantine » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:00 am

Taeron wrote:I'm considering Warhammer 40k: Space Marines (though I think that's console only)

It definitely is not. Oh lord sweet violent goodness.
Levantine

Postby Taeron » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:33 am

Levantine wrote:
Taeron wrote:I'm considering Warhammer 40k: Space Marines (though I think that's console only)

It definitely is not. Oh lord sweet violent goodness.

Is goodness indeed! Paladins in space. With big hammers and axes. And guns. I'll grab it asap... :P
Taeron

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:21 am

I liked Dragon Age 2 but I am afraid this might launch a holy war now that I've mentioned it :x
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby tullock » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:14 pm

Dragon age 2 probably wouldnt have received all the hate it did had it been titled biowares new action fantasy game, instead of dragon age 2. The games arent anything alike. I played the demo of DA2, and it was such a dissapointment that it carried the dragon age name, to me. Such a dissapointment, in fact, that when i saw it on sale at gamersgate last week for 15 dollars, i still didnt buy it.
tullock
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:17 pm

tullock wrote:Dragon age 2 probably wouldnt have received all the hate it did had it been titled biowares new action fantasy game, instead of dragon age 2. The games arent anything alike. I played the demo of DA2, and it was such a dissapointment that it carried the dragon age name, to me. Such a dissapointment, in fact, that when i saw it on sale at gamersgate last week for 15 dollars, i still didnt buy it.

meh? It was different and good and in the same universe. That is more than close enough for a sequel numbering to me.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby tullock » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:42 pm

Meh, they werent the same genre of game, as far as i am concerned. That is the sticking point, for a lot of the people i have talked to about it. Yes they were in the same world, but even bioware admits they were trying to cater to the call of duty crowd for the sequel, instead of trying to be loyal to the roots of the first game. Plus, when the lead designer of dragon age (Brent Knowles) quits instead of making dragon age 2 quote from his blog

"Discussion on Dragon Age 2 began around this time and looking ahead I knew that I wasn’t going to be satisfied with what Dragon Age 2 would be. Party control/tactical combat are huge factors in my enjoyment of a role-playing game as is adopting the role of the hero (i.e., customizing my character). I was fairly certain Dragon Age would transition towards more of a Mass Effect experience, which while enjoyable is not the type of role-playing game I play. Could I be the lead designer on such a title? Certainly… though if I were going to work on a game adopting a set-in-stone protagonist I’d rather work on something lighter, like a shooter."

I am not saying DA2 was a bad game, im just saying that it doesnt fall into the same category as DA1 and awakenings did. That is where a lot of the disappointment stems from.
tullock
Maintankadonor

Postby sahiel » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:51 pm

Honestly, judging DA 2 by the demo is like judging an amazing french cheese by the smell.

The game itself was a hundred times better than the demo, I too was very put off by the reports and reviews I read about it, bought it a month ago for $15 and would happily have paid twice that, the story was good, the interactions with your companions great, the combat was fun and just as tactical as ever. It was a good game well worth getting, do I have things I disliked or thought could be done better? Sure, but that's every single game out there (except Planescape: Torment, which is the Holy Grail of gaming and whose name shall be praised throughout the multiverse! :P).

Space Marine kicks ass on the pc, tbh having tried the full game on both console and pc I far far prefer the pc version, it just feels like you have a lot more control and can be a lot more precise (no surprise I guess). But whichever you get it on, it's a bloody brilliant game that capture the feel of 40k exceptionally well.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:52 pm

see I played DA2 on Hard, and if you weren't managing your party's actions on Hard you were dead. That game was exceptionally tactical. I don't know how anyone says it wasn't.

As far as customizing your character, that's I guess where my experience and opinion just differ. I come from the Final Fantasy background and I much more appreciate having the main character able to tell me his story than having to fill in that blank myself. Hawke was awesome and I loved him.
Sabindeus

Postby sahiel » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:56 pm

Sabindeus wrote:Hawke was awesome and I loved her.

Fixt. :twisted:
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Rokh » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:31 pm

If you have access to a PS3, ive played though dead nation on the hardest diff about 12 times now... only about a 10 hour campain, but I find it to be one of the best single player games ive played in years as far as mindess fun factor goes.... also it has an expansion pack comming sept 27th for a mear $3
Rokh

Next

Return to General