Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Paladin T13 Predictions-Now with actual T13

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:02 am

china dresses on female draenei/blood elves *drool*
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Era » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:05 am

Hm, yes, I could live with that! Wouldn't mind me some holy samurai tanking gear!
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Zobel » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:10 am

Era wrote:Implying there has ever been a tanking legendary? :P

In vanilla, Thunderfury was considered a tanking legendary first and a dps legendary second. (We had rogues who got it, but only after the first couple went to main tanks.) Of course, back then, threat mattered more than it does now.

Talisman of Binding Shard was another tanking legendary, albeit one that was never really released.
Zobel

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:18 am

Era wrote:Implying there has ever been a tanking legendary? :P

Arguably both TF and the MH Glaive were both useful for tanks -- at least warriors, in the latter case.

I'm disappointed they didn't opt for a 1h STR weapon itemized for Mastery/Hit that would have been useful to both melee and a couple tank flavors, since they did a caster staff for T12. T14 they could have done an agi polearm for hunters/cats/bears or a 2h STR thing, or itemize it such that it would still be viable for 2H classes in spite of lack of STR (like a highest stat proc). T15 healers. T16 casters again. This doesn't seem like a horrible way to go, other than they didn't want to encourage "oh it is X class' turn for their legendary next".

I guess you could argue that bears would be fucked for the duration 3/4 tank classes had something they didn't, but legendaries shouldn't be common enough to sway the discussion.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Sagara » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:23 am

halabar wrote:Well, if they go with Asian-themed armor sets, it could be quite cool. All the clothies would be in kimonos.. :-)

Only that all the classic asian weapons have already been made :-/

Every bladed thing from the Tanto to the No-dashi? Done.
Testubo? Done
Waraxes, warhammers and spears? Very similar to Western models.
Chinese straight blade? Done.
Chains weapons? "Peasant" weapons? Would be a strech to put in the current weapon styles.

I guess we'd be stuck with sticks with a barrel on top as a mace :p
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Flex » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:30 am

halabar wrote:Happy and not with the hunter T13 bonuses....

Both will be great for BM, no problems there.

SV is fine with the 2-pc, but the 4-pc is kinda weak, unless they change their rotation a bit.
The 2-pc is strong enough that I'm afraid it won't make it live. But I'm hoping...

The 2-pc is strong because it makes the 4-pc worth it for non-BM specs. Guild Survival hunter loved a haste heavy 4pT11 set up because he could arcane a lot. Now with 2pT13 he basically removes a Cobra from each Explosive Shot rotation he'll be back to Arcane Shotting a lot more. He loves the bonuses and there is great synergy between the two.

My tinfoil hat thinking is that the 2p bonus is a test run for a new low level talent that has a chance to grant double focus on Cobra/Steady to help break up the rotation feel of the hunter specs.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Treck » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:36 am

If they are going to make a tanking legendary, they can do so without screwing to much up.

First option imo is a non weapon legendary.
This has obviously not been properly done before, but a class specific legendary havnt been done before 4.3 eather, at some point it might be implemented.
A tanking Trinket would be the first choice (over neck/back/ring) as a trinket is usually more than just some rusty old piece of crap with some stats glued on to it.
But with no visual model, it wouldnt feel very "legendary".
However the legendary daggers doesnt shine to much, but the freaking wings do...
While were not sure if these are up all the time, or shine from time to time like warlock T6, theres no way they couldnt make a char sparkle or smth when using a legendary trinket.

Second choice could be something that they have done before with epics, as in you click it, and it changes to another weapon.
So make it a Polearm or something for 2handers (druids/DKs) and right click it, it shatters into splinters, and you glue them on some random piece of iron and you have yourself a shield and a weapon.
I wouldnt mind some kind of "vendor" that transforms it from one state to another, maybe some npc in the current instance.
Obviously enchants wouldnt transfer, so you dont wanna do it every now and then.
And also the procc or whatever should be made useless if not counterproductive for a dps to wear, cant think of a good example atm but it can likely be done (alternativly if the weapon can recognize what specc you are in, and only provide the bonus should you be "tank" specced.
At the same time, they could give cats a talent that makes you do more dps if you have a staff, so they wouldnt get it for dps, and the same for DKs, or rather make DK dps all dualwielders for that tier of content.
And obviously warrior/druid/dk/pally wearable only.

Third choice is obviously to have an epic questline where you gather some stuff from bosses, and at the end you simply choose what item you want, 2hander for dk/druid, and a shield (preferably) for warr/paladin.

In lines of the first option, they could even make a legendary neck and ring, and first when you have both, you get the "procc" effect.
The stats wouldnt have to be overpowered, that way dps pieces that are better optimized will still be BiS for dpsers, but the procc would be what the tanks want (then some glowy effect or smth with both parts).
Problem is still tho that DK/warr/pally want str, and druid wants agi, so its not perfect eather.
Treck

Postby halabar » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:39 am

Flex wrote:
halabar wrote:Happy and not with the hunter T13 bonuses....

Both will be great for BM, no problems there.

SV is fine with the 2-pc, but the 4-pc is kinda weak, unless they change their rotation a bit.
The 2-pc is strong enough that I'm afraid it won't make it live. But I'm hoping...

The 2-pc is strong because it makes the 4-pc worth it for non-BM specs. Guild Survival hunter loved a haste heavy 4pT11 set up because he could arcane a lot. Now with 2pT13 he basically removes a Cobra from each Explosive Shot rotation he'll be back to Arcane Shotting a lot more. He loves the bonuses and there is great synergy between the two.

My tinfoil hat thinking is that the 2p bonus is a test run for a new low level talent that has a chance to grant double focus on Cobra/Steady to help break up the rotation feel of the hunter specs.

I've seen some SV complaining, and some happy. Time will tell.

I hope you're not right on that change. Variable haste AND variable focus procs? (Sorry Shoju, I didn't see that green fire, I was busy watching haste and focus meters... :-P)

At current haste levels, for me, managing that is more than enough. If focus gain was variable in that way, I'd simply ignore it, and add in shots that would be skipped when focus light.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Flex » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:40 am

Problem is still tho that DK/warr/pally want str, and druid wants agi, so its not perfect eather.

Also tanks are whiny bitches that complain about any imbalance, real or perceived, so if the Shield/1H is slightly better than the 2H be prepared for tons of forum drama.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:43 am

One could argue that Quel'delar is a good enough hint that they'll not consider a tanking legendary ever again, at least as a weapon/shield.

Their excuse? You guys had Quel'serrar from Onyxia already! That's good enough for you tanks (even tho the itemization was pisspoor), Yeah, I know it was an epic, and not legendary...

How bout legendary tanking trinkets with a cool proc that makes you look twice the size and with glowy effects, something with tons of mastery, dodge and stamina so that all 4 tanks are happy?
Last edited by Klaudandus on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:43 am

halabar wrote:I've seen some SV complaining, and some happy. Time will tell..

Most of the ones I've seen complaining don't quite realize that by having more focus (2p bonus) you get to Arcane more (4p bonus) instead of just using it as a dump during LnL and Hero phases.
Last edited by Flex on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flex

Postby halabar » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:50 am

Flex wrote:
halabar wrote:I've seen some SV complaining, and some happy. Time will tell..

Most of the oens I've seen complaining don't quite realize that by having more focus (2p bonus) you get to Arcane more (4p bonus) instead of just using it as a dump during LnL and Hero phases.

I also imagine the 4-pc will end the MM arguement regarding which shot to use as a focus dump, and also create some new pre-hardcast rotations to maximize Aimed hardcasting. Which will be beyond my brain's ability to command my fingers to execute... :shock:

If BM gets some fixes to make it's AOE viable, I'll gladly stay there...

edit: now that I think about it, the 2-pc, assuming it makes it live, might have some nice benefits for aoe rotations..
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Flex » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:52 am

halabar wrote:edit: now that I think about it, the 2-pc, assuming it makes it live, might have some nice benefits for aoe rotations..

For Survival it cuts out one cobra per multi, and well Marks is slightly insane in AoE if they get Rapid Killing.
Flex

Postby Dantriges » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:14 am

Flex wrote:Also MMO players are whiny bitches that complain about any imbalance, real or perceived, so if the Shield/1H is slightly better than the 2H be prepared for tons of forum drama.

No tank specific phenomenon.

Visiting the Rift forums lately. What a bunch of whiners. Imagine the official WoW forum is more or less the same.
Dantriges

Postby Treck » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:31 am

Flex wrote:

Also tanks are whiny bitches that complain about any imbalance, real or perceived, so if the Shield/1H is slightly better than the 2H be prepared for tons of forum drama.

Thats not really the problem.
The problem is that they do not want a legendary to break a tanking class if not everyone can have it.
By only making a legendary shield, that means every guild who uses druid/dk tanks will be a step behind.
This has always been true for all legendarys.
If you have a class with a legendary and one without, has there ever been the choice NOT to take the one with legendary?
I wouldnt take any melee to a raid if i could choose bringing a legendary caster instead.
Same as i wouldnt want to bring a healer without valanyr vs one with during those times, SM is no different.

Blizzard has been pretty good in the past to try to equalize the tanks, even tho its a major failure with DKs atm, the other 3 are not far from eathother.

IF tank balance isnt going to be that good between the classes again, i could totally see a legendary beeing introduced for the shieldclasses if DKs/druids are to good, and same the other way around, if warr/paladins are to good compared to non shield users, i could see them implementing a DK/druid legendary to make it more equal, but then every guild not using warr/paladin would be at a disadvantage during the time you gather your legendary, so its not really that great eather.

Like i said before, tank balance is something that used to be good, and needs to improove, if you compare it to the current situation.
My hopes for this is pretty good with the whole revamping tanks get for the next expansion.
Every tier there always seems to be one tank that gets overpowered with higher and higher gear, but they can always tune those numbers down to always keep the balance in order when new content comes, they have done it before and hopefully will keep doing so (letting DKs stay the way they are for such a long time is a very big mistakes from blizzard imo)
Treck

PreviousNext

Return to General