Remove Advertisements

Mastery nerf or Deathwing's Radiance

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Mastery nerf or Deathwing's Radiance

Postby Belloc » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:09 pm

There are many ways that they could get around this.

1. Boss expertise -- they indicated that they were intending to add a mechanic like this, but they never did. Well, they still can! Though, this is essentially the same as the radiance effects.

2. Bonus damage on boss abilities -- Know how our 2pc gives us extra damage when we use Shield of the Righteous? Well, they can give that same mechanic to bosses. So, we'll block 30% of the melee hit, but another X amount of damage will come through as unblockable. This damage could be inversely proportionate (I hope I'm getting this right) so that the less damage you take from the melee swing, the more you take from the spell. This way bears and DKs are on equal footing with block tanks. (I'm particularly proud of this idea, though I doubt Blizzard would give it much consideration)

3. Buff druid/DK mastery -- I'd prefer this, as I quite enjoy being able to block cap. It's one of the things that makes me feel special as a block tank.
User avatar
Belloc
 
Posts: 3195
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:56 pm
Location: Silent Earth

Re: Mastery nerf or Deathwing's Radiance

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:45 am

While I don't think it would ve feasible, but I'd like to see the 102.4% cap to go away so that there was a reason to get more mastery / avoidance. I don't see the whole special block tank being all that great with warriors pushing that cap now too.



However, one thing I did see and would like is if a Radiance is applied, make it apply to each class differently. IE: Tanks get a hit on mastery or avoidance, healers take a hit on mana regen and dps take a hit on str or int. Not sure how hard that would be to implement, but it would make the Radiance even across the board.
Image
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1237
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:41 am

Re: Mastery nerf or Deathwing's Radiance

Postby Treck » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:02 am

Belloc wrote:2. Bonus damage on boss abilities -- Know how our 2pc gives us extra damage when we use Shield of the Righteous? Well, they can give that same mechanic to bosses. So, we'll block 30% of the melee hit, but another X amount of damage will come through as unblockable. This damage could be inversely proportionate (I hope I'm getting this right) so that the less damage you take from the melee swing, the more you take from the spell. This way bears and DKs are on equal footing with block tanks. (I'm particularly proud of this idea, though I doubt Blizzard would give it much consideration)

Actually, there are some mechanics that kinda ish works like that.
Soul Reaper from Lich king was Shadowstrike damage, much life frostfire, it did damage with whatever component was the largest (also couldnt be blocked).
If you had to much armor, the damage would be shadow, if you had to much ressistance, the damage would be a physical hit.
That was a real tank killer ability aswell (sure it increased LKs attackspeed by a lot aswell, but the basic idea is allready there)

Also, they have made several abilities no CDable before (baleroc decimation/smoldering devastation to bring 2 recent abilities) and they can keep doing so. Personally i like this idea as AD will most likely end up working against those abilities, while the others have last stand type abilities, and i kinda prefer ours :P
Image
User avatar
Treck
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:10 am

Re: Mastery nerf or Deathwing's Radiance

Postby Mannstein » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:24 am

How many total rating are we expect to gain with the new tier?
How many rating do we need to be soft exp cap and hit capped?

So instead of Deathwing's Radiance, just... wait for it...
MAKE THREAT COUNT...

Win, Win situation
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:40 am

Re: Mastery nerf or Deathwing's Radiance

Postby Malthrax » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:05 am

Mannstein wrote:How many total rating are we expect to gain with the new tier?
How many rating do we need to be soft exp cap and hit capped?

So instead of Deathwing's Radiance, just... wait for it...
MAKE THREAT COUNT...

Win, Win situation


The Deathwing fight will feature multiple "threatless" encounters... i.e. threat will not matter at all.
User avatar
Malthrax
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:23 am

Re: Mastery nerf or Deathwing's Radiance

Postby Mannstein » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:29 am

Malthrax wrote: The Deathwing fight will feature multiple "threatless" encounters... i.e. threat will not matter at all.


Hum, are you stating that it matters now? :D

In serious now, I understand what you mean, but it still remounts to the same, what i said "implement threat instead of radiance" or the "coeficients/type of radiance we will have" discussion that shows up every end of Expasion... I would like Bliz to explain the logic:
DPS chalenge : T13 Boss have +%Hit points
Healer chalenge : T13 Boss do more damage
Tank chalenge : You dodge/parry/block less...

As several times repeated on this forum, why are tanks nerfed, and not the bosses revamped? It's the same thing? Yes, err fck NO.

As a ret MS, i wouldn't like to have a aura -10% damage done, but i'm ok to boss have +10%HP.

P.S. Just for the record I'm retri/holy currently but will go offspec prot if needed.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:40 am

Re: Mastery nerf or Deathwing's Radiance

Postby yappo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:15 am

Just implement higher boss-levels. Problem solved. We did, after all, walk into the lair of an even more menacing opponent. Obviosuly remove crushing blows from the game entirely.

So you have +3 level, +4 etc, etc level bosses. Should have dps scrambling for more hit-rating/expertise as well. So this solves the 'capping' problem for more than just the tanking specs.
yappo
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:15 pm

Re: Mastery nerf or Deathwing's Radiance

Postby Worldie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:18 am

That wouldn't work as they would have to completely review the miss / exp mechanics. A mob 4 levels higher has over 30% chance to resist your spells.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13366
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Mastery nerf or Deathwing's Radiance

Postby yappo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:23 am

Worldie wrote:That wouldn't work as they would have to completely review the miss / exp mechanics. A mob 4 levels higher has over 30% chance to resist your spells.


So, in effect make it level 3.2 higher, and then 3.4 for the next tier, etc. Actual numbers open for debate. Basically what this take on how to handle the problem is that it solves the scaling issues for tanks and dps alike. Healers already are in the position that they don't interact with the boss at all (funny gimmicks aside).
yappo
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:15 pm

Re: Mastery nerf or Deathwing's Radiance

Postby Malthrax » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:42 am

yappo wrote:
Worldie wrote:That wouldn't work as they would have to completely review the miss / exp mechanics. A mob 4 levels higher has over 30% chance to resist your spells.


So, in effect make it level 3.2 higher, and then 3.4 for the next tier, etc. Actual numbers open for debate. Basically what this take on how to handle the problem is that it solves the scaling issues for tanks and dps alike. Healers already are in the position that they don't interact with the boss at all (funny gimmicks aside).


Give the bosses a non-dispellable buff that increases their ability to dodge/parry/be-missed by attacks and some level of generic spell resistance.

Call it "Shroud of <end boss of dungeon>"

Done.
User avatar
Malthrax
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:23 am

Re: Mastery nerf or Deathwing's Radiance

Postby Archeth » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:47 am

That would also make it a bit more transparent for the people who don't F5 some combat ratings thread on EJ every patch.
Image
Archeth
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 4:14 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Mastery nerf or Deathwing's Radiance

Postby Malthrax » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:53 am

Archeth wrote:That would also make it a bit more transparent for the people who don't F5 some combat ratings thread on EJ every patch.


They could put (some lore-oriented version of) that kind of information in the Dungeon Journal for each boss.
User avatar
Malthrax
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:23 am

Re: Mastery nerf or Deathwing's Radiance

Postby fafhrd » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:01 pm

If you ladies are finding you have too much of various stats to care about getting more, that means you have the option of tanking without pants in future tiers.

Just throwing that out there.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
User avatar
fafhrd
 
Posts: 5432
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:31 pm

Re: Mastery nerf or Deathwing's Radiance

Postby Meloree » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:29 pm

fafhrd wrote:If you ladies are finding you have too much of various stats to care about getting more, that means you have the option of tanking without pants in future tiers.

Just throwing that out there.


Now, see, tanking without pants is just silly. Even in TBC the smart play was to tank in spellpower cloth for content you overgeared.
Meloree
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1420
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:15 am

Re: Mastery nerf or Deathwing's Radiance

Postby halabar » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:52 pm

So... how many whelps will there be in the Deathwing fight?...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 9376
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
?php } else { ?