DPS - how to measure it and how much is required?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: DPS - how to measure it and how much is required?

Postby Cogglamp » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:54 pm

I for one don't care what I can do on a dummy save for perfecting my priority attacks.

How long are people sitting on the dummy makes a difference too. Anyone can pop cooldowns, smack stuff for a minute and still have an artificially high recount. If you're really wanting an idea on your dpsers, form the raid with appropriate buffs, go to Darnassus, ask your raiders to attack the dummy for a good 4-5 minutes. I've found the IF/SW dummies have lots of debuffs/buffs that will skew your data.
Cogglamp

Postby Cogglamp » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:57 pm

cerwillis wrote:
Pyrea wrote:An assassination rogue at least is probably more raid buff dependent than a shadow priest.

Fair enough. I never do the amount of DPS that I would in a raid on my rogue ofc, but I can generally replicate my rotation exactly the same, with the exception of combo points in order to test different configs. On SP, I find that with orb procs, it isn't really possible to do the same thing two times in a row consistently. Ymmv.

Unrelated question, has recount been properly updating the Shadow Apparition damage to the priest? I thought I remembered that recount and WoL weren't attributing the Shadow Apparition damage directly to the priest so the priest's dps seemed "lower". However, I haven't played my priest in a bit and don't know if this has been fixed.
Cogglamp

Postby yappo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:49 am

Nikachelle wrote:15k is low if that's what your highest dps is doing. I would expect at least 16-17k dps from all raid member starting Firelands. (And even then, that's kind of unrealistic as our raid group ranged from 16k to 21k dps when we first entered. So the higher ones are pulling up the average.)

Pugged in tank here, so fairly casual.

The guild that usually pugs me in is 4/7, as in two of those kills were done within the last week.

While I get the occasionaly heart attack, stuff DO die with two dps in the 14 - 15k range, two at some 18 - 19 and one at 20 - 22. Dunno how good or bad two tanks at 8 - 10k is valued. Healers are, on average, between good and superb.
yappo

Postby Winkle » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:26 am

The easiest way to assess DPS requirements is to check world of logs for each individual boss and see at what level of raid DPS kills start being recorded.

Here's Shannox: http://www.worldoflogs.com/zones/Firelands/Shannox/

10-man Normal kills look to start creeping in around the 80k DPS mark. Based on 3 healers, 2 tanks (15k combined ) that leaves 5 DPS to do 65k or 13k DPS each.

It should be noted though the healers will be working quite hard for quite a long time in the sub 30% hp phase if your dps is that low.

After shannox it steps up

Bethtilac: http://www.worldoflogs.com/zones/Firelands/Beth'tilac/
10man Normal kils around 95k DPS, 80k between 5 dps or 16k DPS each.

And then the real patchwek test Baleroc: http://www.worldoflogs.com/zones/Firelands/Baleroc/
Kills at 120k DPS, 1 tank + 3 heals leaves 110k between 6 DPS or 18k DPS each.

As a guild looking to kill Raggy shortly i'd say you'll struggle in normals with people doing less than 18k each. Preferably 20k each to make things a little smoother.
Winkle

Postby Qeeze » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:45 pm

A site we use along with World of Logs is http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/

Here's an example of 10 man BH: http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Occu%27thar/ ... ult/#3vvvv
Qeeze

Postby laterna » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:41 am

It depends per guild but for us, we simply use WOL to see the best dps in the world, and expect our players to be doing 10% less than the 200th member (bared stupid gear differences)

We're a different sort, we're all comftable enough to tell each other that his/her dps sucks and to go L2P...

It also varies a lot by players.

Our last Balroc fight had this layout

Extremely geared rogue
ele shaman 28k
rest of people between 28-24k
MT(me) 16.5k

Fight lasted 3.5 minutes since we were trying out hard mode tactics to see how our dps would be etc

We took that and compared it to a "barely made it" kill in WoL to compare total RDPS
laterna

Previous

Return to General