Remove Advertisements

Enchantment Yes, or Enchantment No?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Enchantment Yes, or Enchantment No?

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:55 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Depends on how you made your money tbh. Before scrolls were invented you didn't have the option of crafting anything for public consumption unless you sat in Trade and hocked your wares for hours on end. I made my money selling enchanting items on the AH. Since the introduction halfway through Wrath to allow disenchanting in dungeons with a crafter present, I haven't even bothered to sell anything. The price of enchanting mats has dropped to ridiculously low prices that it isn't worth selling them. For me, the scroll market has no interest, although I know other people love it.

But now there is a scroll market, implemented around the same time as the DE button. Tada!

And scrolls don't sell as well (what few I've tried), because people will try to find an enchanter so that they can use their own mats.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:56 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Well if you levelled enchanting to make money off of DEing then that was a mistake. You should be making money off of actually *enchanting* stuff. The profession is Enchanting not disenchanting.

It sure didn't used to be that way.

A lot of things didn't used to be a lot of ways. I am not playing the same Paladin I rolled in 2004. The game changes.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:57 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Depends on how you made your money tbh. Before scrolls were invented you didn't have the option of crafting anything for public consumption unless you sat in Trade and hocked your wares for hours on end. I made my money selling enchanting items on the AH. Since the introduction halfway through Wrath to allow disenchanting in dungeons with a crafter present, I haven't even bothered to sell anything. The price of enchanting mats has dropped to ridiculously low prices that it isn't worth selling them. For me, the scroll market has no interest, although I know other people love it.

But now there is a scroll market, implemented around the same time as the DE button. Tada!

Well... not really. Scrolls came when inscription was released. Which was 3.0 was it not? That disenchanting thingy didn't come in until RDF was implemented, which was pretty late into Wrath from what I remember.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:59 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Well if you levelled enchanting to make money off of DEing then that was a mistake. You should be making money off of actually *enchanting* stuff. The profession is Enchanting not disenchanting.

It sure didn't used to be that way.

A lot of things didn't used to be a lot of ways. I am not playing the same Paladin I rolled in 2004. The game changes.

Right, but some people are still maintaining the same professions that they leveled up with before all these changes got implemented. And it's pretty safe to say that the market for disenchanted mats has dropped considerably since dungeon disenchanting was implemented.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:59 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:

Well... not really. Scrolls came when inscription was released. Which was 3.0 was it not? That disenchanting thingy didn't come in until RDF was implemented, which was pretty late into Wrath from what I remember.

Sometime in 3.0, close enough. :p
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:04 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:But now there is a scroll market, implemented around the same time as the DE button. Tada!

Sometime in 3.0, close enough. :p

!!! Over a year after 3.0 is not "close enough"!

Yeah here we go. 3.0.2 was released October 14, 2008 and RDF was introduced in 3.3.0 which was December 8, 2009. That's quite a gap between enchanting scrolls and disenchanted mats from dungeons.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:08 am

Scrolls are my best source of gold, and I think having widely available cheap mats is one of the reasons why.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Cogglamp » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:09 am

The automatic DE saves me time, bag space, and keeps the game flowing a bit more and for me, that's as good as gold in my book.

I might start greeding on stuff in hopes that I win it since Passionario made a good point about the Bountiful Bag bonus but it's an increase in quality of life to have the Auto DE available in dungeon runs. I'm ecstatic when there is an enchanter in my run since I know the price of the dust/essence far exceeds the vendor price of BoP stuff.

There really isn't much to gripe about this me thinks and this is coming from someone who counts his sheckels more than he counts his raid kills.

If anyone is struggling with enchanting, come on over to the AH thread and we'll help you out.
Cogglamp

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:26 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Scrolls are my best source of gold, and I think having widely available cheap mats is one of the reasons why.

^- so essentially it makes the economic model of Enchanting more like all the other crafting professions. Sensible.
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:27 am

Nikachelle wrote:!!! Over a year after 3.0 is not "close enough"!

Yeah here we go. 3.0.2 was released October 14, 2008 and RDF was introduced in 3.3.0 which was December 8, 2009. That's quite a gap between enchanting scrolls and disenchanted mats from dungeons.

Ok ok so scrolls were lackluster for a year, and then the auto-DE made them better! What's the problem? :p
Sabindeus

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:29 am

Cogglamp wrote:If anyone is struggling with enchanting, come on over to the AH thread and we'll help you out.

Cogg wins the Good Guy Greg award for the day.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Mukat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:32 am

Remember folks, if you don't think others deserve free disenchanting in dungeons, leave your enchanting rod in your bank. I believe this is what a blue suggested for those being miserly and fuck-you-quit-being-rotten-ly. Sheesh, it's simply so that the enchanting mats don't go to waste. Did you miss the days you collected all the BoPs and at the end of the run left the group to keep it all for yourself?
Mukat

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:32 am

Mukat wrote:Remember folks, if you don't think others deserve free disenchanting in dungeons, leave your enchanting rod in your bank. I believe this is what a blue suggested for those being miserly and fuck-you-quit-being-rotten-ly. Sheesh, it's simply so that the enchanting mats don't go to waste. Did you miss the days you collected all the BoPs and at the end of the run left the group to keep it all for yourself?

Does... does that work?
Sabindeus

Postby Mukat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:33 am

Blue suggested it when RDF started and enchanters started bitching about being forced to help people they didn't know.
Mukat

Postby theckhd » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:33 am

Speaking as a player who's first profession has been Enchanting since release, I much prefer what we have now to what we had before. I don't relish the memories of standing around in IF fishing for work in trade chat. For most of BC, I gave up on trying to make money with Enchanting entirely, because it was just too tedious a process. Scrolls on the AH finally "fixed" a profession that had been broken since 2004.

I'm also fond of the auto-DE button because I would always offer to D/E things for dungeon groups, and thus it saves me a good bit of time. Yes, it makes enchanting materials more widely available, but that pushes prices down and makes my scroll-selling business even more profitable. People have an intrinsic feel for how much they're willing to pay for an in-game benefit, and if enchanting mats are too expensive the profit margins tend to go down. For example, I'm selling a lot more high-end enchants post-4.1 than I did before the ZA instances came out. People are willing to drop 1k on a Landslide enchant, but at 10k most people won't bother. I might make 1-2k profit on the 10k version of Landslide, but I maybe sell one a week or less. I may only make 300-400g on the 1k version, but I sell many more of them, which more than makes up the difference.

Regarding the "skinners don't have to share their skins" argument: They're different resource models, and it's somewhat silly to compare them. (Dis)Enchanting isn't a gathering profession; you aren't creating "free" materials out of corpses, you're converting items to resources. The number of items you gain in a run is independent of your profession, so the fact that the other group members are able to use your disenchanting ability for their benefit doesn't cost you anything in a material sense. You'd end up with the same amount of dust/essence/shards whether they could use your ability or not.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

PreviousNext

Return to General