Remove Advertisements

Enchantment Yes, or Enchantment No?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Enchantment Yes, or Enchantment No?

Postby Passionario » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:21 am

Since 90% of the time the enchanter in my party happens to be a guildmate, I just roll 'Greed' and pass the items to him or her at the end of the run for extra proc chance (Bountiful Bags does not apply to auto-DE).
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:44 am

That's a good point, I might start rolling Greed on my enchanter. Double Maelstrom Crystals is always nice to see. (I DEd 5 Crystals from 3 drops in BoT on Sunday.)
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Angelus » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:09 am

I find it really hard to believe the change was made to benefit enchanters. If an enchanter didn't want to take time to DE, they'd simply not mention being an enchanter and let the Greed rolls fall to whomever they may.

I personally used to love it though, if I was rolling with a crummy pug, I'd just keep quiet and wait for the run to be over. If I was actually run with fun people, I'd offer to DE to help them out.

Since the change though, I don't enchant for anyone but guildies. It made sense before to respond to someone in Trade looking for enchants. Chances are they either had an enchanter alt they got the mats from(and all enchanters know the pain of trying to get enchants on an alt because your very own enchanter can't do it), or they had bought those mats from other enchanters on the AH; possibly from one of my very own auctions.

But now...no, I won't enchant your item using mats you acquired for free through someone else's profession for a tip of less gold than I'd get by doing a daily. Buy my enchant scroll on the AH and enjoy the markup.
Angelus

Postby Flex » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:27 am

Angelus wrote:I find it really hard to believe the change was made to benefit enchanters. If an enchanter didn't want to take time to DE, they'd simply not mention being an enchanter and let the Greed rolls fall to whomever they may.

I personally used to love it though, if I was rolling with a crummy pug, I'd just keep quiet and wait for the run to be over. If I was actually run with fun people, I'd offer to DE to help them out.

Since the change though, I don't enchant for anyone but guildies. It made sense before to respond to someone in Trade looking for enchants. Chances are they either had an enchanter alt they got the mats from(and all enchanters know the pain of trying to get enchants on an alt because your very own enchanter can't do it), or they had bought those mats from other enchanters on the AH; possibly from one of my very own auctions.

But now...no, I won't enchant your item using mats you acquired for free through someone else's profession for a tip of less gold than I'd get by doing a daily. Buy my enchant scroll on the AH and enjoy the markup.

This is a good example of why my feeling is "get over yourself".
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:29 am

The assumption that makes this whole train of thought possible is that disenchanting is the primary function of Enchanters, which is simply false. This complaint strikes me as something like a Miner/JC being pissed off that the game automatically smelts/prospects ore for their group when it drops off of Random Ore Dropping Boss.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:36 am

Angelus wrote:I find it really hard to believe the change was made to benefit enchanters. If an enchanter didn't want to take time to DE, they'd simply not mention being an enchanter and let the Greed rolls fall to whomever they may.

The change was made to benefit the enchanters that actually did this, not the ones who kept it to themselves already. There was a large enough majority of people willing to DE for their groups that Blizzard made it automated. It makes life easy for the people who wanted to be helpful.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:44 am

KysenMurrin wrote:

The change was made to benefit the enchanters that actually did this, not the ones who kept it to themselves already. There was a large enough majority of people willing to DE for their groups that Blizzard made it automated. It makes life easy for the people who wanted to be helpful.

But unfortunately it also forces the people who didn't like doing it to be forced into it. Which isn't fair either. It's not like we forced the miners to give out their ore at the end of the run. Or herbalists, or skinners, etc. (Although, there hasn't bee any flowers or ore available in any of the dungeons this expansion has there?)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:47 am

KysenMurrin wrote:

Precisely. The only thing Disenchanting ever cost the Enchanter was the time it took to trade items and click buttons. Some people were altruistic enough to put forth that time for others because it was a minor enough inconvenience. Blizzard made it Not An Inconvenience. (Also this let people DE BoP blue boss drops without needing to coordinate rolls and such.) So there you go.

Basically if you want DEing to be voluntary only what you're saying is that you want to be paid for something that costs you literally nothing. "But Sabin what about all the time and money I spent levelling enchanting in the first place?!?!" Well if you levelled enchanting to make money off of DEing then that was a mistake. You should be making money off of actually *enchanting* stuff. The profession is Enchanting not disenchanting.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:48 am

Nikachelle wrote:
KysenMurrin wrote:

But unfortunately it also forces the people who didn't like doing it to be forced into it. Which isn't fair either. It's not like we forced the miners to give out their ore at the end of the run. Or herbalists, or skinners, etc. (Although, there hasn't bee any flowers or ore available in any of the dungeons this expansion has there?)

Mining is a gathering profession. Enchanting is a crafting profession. You make money off of production, not collection.
Sabindeus

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:49 am

Nikachelle wrote:
KysenMurrin wrote:The change was made to benefit the enchanters that actually did this, not the ones who kept it to themselves already. There was a large enough majority of people willing to DE for their groups that Blizzard made it automated. It makes life easy for the people who wanted to be helpful.

Again, if non-miners were able to roll on an object then give it to a miner to turn into ore, this argument would make sense. It does not.

Other people roling DE where they would have rolled Greed, when both rolls have the same weight, costs the enchanter nothing - they lose the roll, it doesn't matter what the other person got, the enchanter still gets nothing.
Last edited by KysenMurrin on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Flex » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:50 am

It was implemented because you couldn't trade items cross realm when the RDF was implemented. Not sure where the trade restriction is at now.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:51 am

Depends on how you made your money tbh. Before scrolls were invented you didn't have the option of crafting anything for public consumption unless you sat in Trade and hocked your wares for hours on end. I made my money selling enchanting items on the AH. Since the introduction halfway through Wrath to allow disenchanting in dungeons with a crafter present, I haven't even bothered to sell anything. The price of enchanting mats has dropped to ridiculously low prices that it isn't worth selling them. For me, the scroll market has no interest, although I know other people love it.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:52 am

Sabindeus wrote:Well if you levelled enchanting to make money off of DEing then that was a mistake. You should be making money off of actually *enchanting* stuff. The profession is Enchanting not disenchanting.

It sure didn't used to be that way.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:54 am

Nikachelle wrote:Depends on how you made your money tbh. Before scrolls were invented you didn't have the option of crafting anything for public consumption unless you sat in Trade and hocked your wares for hours on end. I made my money selling enchanting items on the AH. Since the introduction halfway through Wrath to allow disenchanting in dungeons with a crafter present, I haven't even bothered to sell anything. The price of enchanting mats has dropped to ridiculously low prices that it isn't worth selling them. For me, the scroll market has no interest, although I know other people love it.

But now there is a scroll market, implemented around the same time as the DE button. Tada!
Sabindeus

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:55 am

Until WotLK Blizzard didn't really go out of their way to design all professions to be able to make money, though - now they deliberately build things in.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to General