4.3 rumours on MMO Champ

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: 4.3 rumours on MMO Champ

Postby Dantriges » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:34 pm

WoW probably reached the saturation point in his product cycle or is even in decline, now. But a quick money grab on the way out is a wrong idea. Annoying 10 million+ subscribers sounds like a really bad idea that even an idiot would try to prevent. Unless the management thinks that customers are just stupid cows that will buy anything, I would think that they try to let WoW die out as smoothly as possible and offer an alternative with another MMO.

But well greed often wins in this affairs so anything goes.

But well Dec 2013 sounds like a better date but I have no idea what they want to do in the time in between. 2012 is too early. We don´t even have a PTR for 4.3. yet.
Dantriges
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:39 am

Re: 4.3 rumours on MMO Champ

Postby yappo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:09 pm

Dantriges wrote:WoW probably reached the saturation point in his product cycle or is even in decline, now. But a quick money grab on the way out is a wrong idea. Annoying 10 million+ subscribers sounds like a really bad idea that even an idiot would try to prevent. Unless the management thinks that customers are just stupid cows that will buy anything, I would think that they try to let WoW die out as smoothly as possible and offer an alternative with another MMO.

But well greed often wins in this affairs so anything goes.

But well Dec 2013 sounds like a better date but I have no idea what they want to do in the time in between. 2012 is too early. We don´t even have a PTR for 4.3. yet.



Good point. Would be like wanting to make the use of RealID mandatory. Oh, wait...

But yeah, I believe WoW is in terminal decline now. Not dying, but in decline.
yappo
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:15 pm

Re: 4.3 rumours on MMO Champ

Postby valura » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:16 am

yappo wrote:Hmm.

Xpac in may - july 2012 sounds iffy for me.

Why would they release an x-pac when people are outdoors? Nov - first half dec ties in so much better with x-mas.


Hmm. An enigma indeed. Why would Blizz release new, major content just shortly before the summer? It's not like they have done that before... I mean, Firelands (4.2) did not get released on june 28th, right? It's just something my overtly deluded brain has cooked up, right?

/sarcasm

As a matter of fact, releasing a new XPac shortly before the summer holidays makes just as much sense (perhaps even more), as releasing it shortly before the winter holiday. More people are on holiday, so more people get to enjoy the game, and people are more likely to either resub or extend their sub for 2 months of gameplay during the summer, than they are for the 1-3 weeks they're off suring winter holidays.

Furthermore, it has become soewhat obvious the game is changing it's baseline demographic focus from the teens-twens to the pre-teens (with the uber-noobification of old world questing/instancing), so I would imagine it'd be the perfect time to release the next XPac just before the biggest time off for them...

just my thoughts...
In tribute to the original Paladin, Charles the Hammer Martel (° 688 - † 22 oct 741).
Bohica (100) BM
Kul Tiras >>> Valura (92) Prot | Hashishin (90) Combat | Arishem (90) Blood | Maurgane (90) Frost | Bova (90) Bear |
| Zannah (90) Resto | Farmingbull (79) Resto | Shoju (51) WW | Wærloga (90) Destro | Dejiko (50) Prot |
Draenor >>> Kenesha (90) Resto | Qedesha (80) Disc | Lanthlasa (52) BM | Xiaohongquan (80) WW |

Jebus what a soul crushing procession of Failures, Septic Tanks, Oxygen thieves and Utter Utter retards. - masterpooba
User avatar
valura
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:20 am
Location: If the queue allows me, Draenor-EU. Otherwise, my own personnally crafted Hell.

Re: 4.3 rumours on MMO Champ

Postby PsiVen » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:02 am

Early summer would be on target if they intend to release 4.3 around December. Deathwing's raid is going to have to be a pretty big one, and I'm really disappointed that War of the Ancients will only be a 5-man.

I don't understand the motivation behind downplaying massive lore points like WotA, Abyssal Maw and Azjol'Nerub and just cramming them into one-off dungeons. Knowing Warcraft's writers, they really don't have compelling plot points planned out far enough ahead to go ahead and throw away storylines that are already heavily supported. If the plan is seriously to follow up Deathwing's demise with "Mists of Pandaria" featuring some bullshit plot about panda-men, there will be a backlash that makes mandatory RealID look like a popular well-liked idea.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
User avatar
PsiVen
Moderator
 
Posts: 4364
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:28 pm
Location: On a Boat

Re: 4.3 rumours on MMO Champ

Postby Dantriges » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:55 am

yappo wrote:Good point. Would be like wanting to make the use of RealID mandatory. Oh, wait...

But yeah, I believe WoW is in terminal decline now. Not dying, but in decline.


Well, corporate stupidity could be his own specialty of psychology.

And this whole real names to make forums less anonymous seems to be the FotY. Crops up the whole time.

I could imagine that some thought "Oh Facebook is all the rage we have to join in."

Deliberately gutting a cash cow is something most managers are loathe to do. Could imagine it if someone wants to leave and grab a bonus for this year. Or getting lazy, thinking stupid customers will buy stuff anyways. Having a monopoly for too long makes companies lazy. But well WoW is not so important that you couldn´t live without it. And seems to me that Activision know how fast other profitable franchises can go down by now. Well perhaps screwin up WoW will drive the point home that even big names can go down quick and losing a 10 million subscriber base filling company coffers every month will hurt.
Dantriges
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:39 am

Re: 4.3 rumours on MMO Champ

Postby yappo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:57 am

My argument in favor of the winter holyday is two-fold.

One: It's not a content patch. You have to dish out extra cash to get a (most often) physical copy of the updated client.

Two: Cristmas present. Parents pay for said copy. This ties in well with the ad-campaigns prior to the release of an x-pac.

For those of us who already play the game, an x-pac is in ways just a new content patch, but for Blizzard (if they are even remotely sane as a company) it's a way to get new customers. Without new customers any subscription service will, by definition, spiral into terminal decline.

The bad thing with a two year cycle is obviously that the product has time to fall below customer radar, but 1.5 years is too long as well. Shops want yearly releases from an 'ongoing' product. TCG:s would be the market I have personal experience from.

But, I'm derailing my own thread.

In favour of the summer 2012 release would be the leaked release schedule. While I can see demographic reasons why this is a bad idea, it still keeps Blizz from having their customers squeeze out the last remnants of juice from a content patch long after it's gone stale.

There's another reason this would be a bad thing. The last two x-pacs have been prepended by the implementation of the updated character-game-engine some three months prior to release. This is effectively a beta-test on an enormous scale.

I just can't see them handing out Deathwing the coming December and then drastically change how characters work in Mars.
yappo
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:15 pm

Re: 4.3 rumours on MMO Champ

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:10 am

yappo wrote:Hmm.

Xpac in may - july 2012 sounds iffy for me.

Why would they release an x-pac when people are outdoors? Nov - first half dec ties in so much better with x-mas.

Not everyone who plays this game is in the northern hemisphere.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11003
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: 4.3 rumours on MMO Champ

Postby Treck » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:47 am

Well, pretty sure the vast majority is ^^
But well, they released firelands mid summer, that doesnt strike as to clever eather.
User avatar
Treck
 
Posts: 2129
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:10 am

Re: 4.3 rumours on MMO Champ

Postby Dantriges » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:01 am

Less people playing => slower progress => content lasts a longer time. :wink:

They had to offer something, people were so bored by T11 content.
Dantriges
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:39 am

Re: 4.3 rumours on MMO Champ

Postby Jeremoot » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:28 am

PsiVen wrote:I don't understand the motivation behind downplaying massive lore points like WotA, Abyssal Maw and Azjol'Nerub and just cramming them into one-off dungeons. Knowing Warcraft's writers, they really don't have compelling plot points planned out far enough ahead to go ahead and throw away storylines that are already heavily supported. If the plan is seriously to follow up Deathwing's demise with "Mists of Pandaria" featuring some bullshit plot about panda-men, there will be a backlash that makes mandatory RealID look like a popular well-liked idea.


So much this. When I read that War of the Ancients was going to be a 5-man I was incredibly disappointed.

Oh, and don't worry about Abyssal Maw. They probably won't even add it. Ever.
User avatar
Jeremoot
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:36 pm

Re: 4.3 rumours on MMO Champ

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:31 am

Dantriges wrote:Less people playing => slower progress => content lasts a longer time. :wink:

They had to offer something, people were so bored by T11 content.

But that's only because they extended how long we had to clear it. It wasn't supposed to be so many months of T11, but people just weren't downing the content quickly enough.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11003
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: 4.3 rumours on MMO Champ

Postby Worldie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:32 am

Jeremoot wrote:Oh, and don't worry about Abyssal Maw. They probably won't even add it. Ever.

Well there's likely going to be an expansion about Azshara as she's a quite major bad woman.
At that point, "finishing" that line would make quite a lot of sense.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13556
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Re: 4.3 rumours on MMO Champ

Postby Jeremoot » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:39 am

Worldie wrote:
Jeremoot wrote:Oh, and don't worry about Abyssal Maw. They probably won't even add it. Ever.

Well there's likely going to be an expansion about Azshara as she's a quite major bad woman.
At that point, "finishing" that line would make quite a lot of sense.


Nah, they'll just throw her into WotA.
User avatar
Jeremoot
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:36 pm

Re: 4.3 rumours on MMO Champ

Postby Worldie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:44 am

Jeremoot wrote:
Worldie wrote:
Jeremoot wrote:Oh, and don't worry about Abyssal Maw. They probably won't even add it. Ever.

Well there's likely going to be an expansion about Azshara as she's a quite major bad woman.
At that point, "finishing" that line would make quite a lot of sense.


Nah, they'll just throw her into WotA.

There's absolutely no sign of Azshara in the War so no :P
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 13556
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Re: 4.3 rumours on MMO Champ

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:50 am

Jeremoot wrote:
Worldie wrote:
Jeremoot wrote:Oh, and don't worry about Abyssal Maw. They probably won't even add it. Ever.

Well there's likely going to be an expansion about Azshara as she's a quite major bad woman.
At that point, "finishing" that line would make quite a lot of sense.


Nah, they'll just throw her into WotA.


I LOL'd
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
User avatar
Shyrtandros
 
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:54 am

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest