Remove Advertisements

I (hate / love) my job - Thread

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: I (hate / love) my job - Thread

Postby Geaux » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:41 am

AMG it's 97 degrees outside and I am uncomfortably cold in this office. I stood up and took a peek around and I see people wearing winter coats and wrapped up in blankets at their cubicles. There is always something to unnecessarily aggrivate me where I work >.<
Geaux

Postby Amirya » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:41 pm

I actually enjoy my job.

There are the entertaining aspects (did you hear about the sunroof that flew off on the freeway?).

The only part I really just do not like are the people who think:
1) We're out to get them (the persecuted)
2) The ones who think we should change the entire industry just for them (the entitled)
3) The ones who think we should change case law just for them. I'm so very sorry, but between angering you, or the (state) Supreme Court...you lose.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby masterpoobaa » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:09 pm

Them: "OMG its broken, What will I do? Woe is me!"
Me: "May I take a look at your computer for a second?"
Me: *tap tap tap, click, click, rightclick, click, hit enter*
Them: "OMGBBQ you fixed it! You are so smart! What would we do without you?!?!"
Me: *flexx*

Ahhh noobs. So easily impressed
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby halabar » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:12 am

masterpoobaa wrote:Them: "OMG its broken, What will I do? Woe is me!"
Me: "May I take a look at your computer for a second?"
Me: *tap tap tap, click, click, rightclick, click, hit enter*
Them: "OMGBBQ you fixed it! You are so smart! What would we do without you?!?!"
Me: *flexx*

Ahhh noobs. So easily impressed

ThemBoss: "You're to valuable here to promote or give a raise, we need you just where you are, forever."
Them: "I know you told me to write it down, but I can't be bothered. How do I print my document?...". (for the next 20 years....)
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Kanta » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:36 pm

There are tons of things that I love about my job, especially after spending a decade in the military. The icing on the cake currently would have to be that for the last 3 weeks I have been halfway across the country enjoying awesome weather, sitting in a training class for 8 hrs a day on an expense account for my meals, rental car, boarding, etc. In return, I spend an hour or two after class each day writing a report on what I learned.. yeah, way better than living in a sealed steel tube filled with men, many of whom seem to have a problem understanding the concept of hygiene. Being able to grow a nearly trimmed goatee is pretty co ol too
Kanta

Postby Arnock » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:32 pm

I shelve books in a public library.

Hate:
-Tedious work
-Low pay
-hard on my knees
-Patrons who don't seem to grasp the concept of alphabetical order
-Not really knowing my co-workers. It's not really that big of a deal for me, but it feels kind of awkward that I can't even remember the names of 3/4 of the people that I see on an almost daily basis.
-Having to do the work of 3 or 4 people when everyone decides to go on vacation at the same freaking time.

Love:
-I'm allowed to listen to my ipod on the job, so I'm more or less paid to listen to audiobooks all day.
-The library is across the street from campus, so it saves a LOT of gas being able to walk to work
-Flexible schedule
-I love to read, so working at a library is great.
-I'm actually employed
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Torias » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:22 pm

Not really a "job" per se but I've been working an internship position for the last two months with an on going project in my department at University (Computer Science). I love it, getting to do what I love doing whilst expanding skills that'll help with my grades and my CV, whilst getting paid for it all. It's quite an accomplishment, too, since usually these positions are only given to postgraduates or finalists and I'm just entering my Senior Freshman year come October.

My only reservation is going to sound ridiculous but I'm basically given free reign: I turn up when I want and leave when I want and so long as I'm working to a high standard and meeting deadlines, and I actually can't cope with the lack of structure. It's completely derailed my gym routine (I don't even know how, exactly, but it has) and I end up not turning up until 2pm and then coming home late at night when I could just as easily be keeping a regular schedule.

Man, first world problems doesn't even cover THAT epic /whine. :D But my eight week position ends next Friday, and even though the project coordinator has requested extra funding to keep me on it's pretty damn unlikely since the University is reigning in the budget to weather the incoming financial shitstorm that is the new government's economic austerity measures.

Edit: All that said, I do sometimes feel like I'm trapped in this: http://xkcd.com/844/, namely because every time I submit code the coordinator decides they want a superficially similar but fundamentally different result, instead.
Torias

Postby tullock » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:43 pm

Jobs are a lie, they don't exist.
tullock
Maintankadonor

Postby Sightblinder » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:57 pm

Ya i hate my job. i currently work in a prison (literally), the only good thing about this place is the pay. thats what keeps ppl from quitting here. not only do you have to worry about watching your back from an inmate jumping you, then you have the ppl in charge that just trying to find some reason to fire you in order to try and make themselves look better. IT BLOWS!!!!!!
Sightblinder

Postby Bladesong » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:56 am

- Everyone I work with is a gamer of one type or another. We even have a company WoW guild
- Everyone I work with chose their job because it was something they really wanted to do, so they all want to be here
- I believe in the work we do
- I get to be the guy who helps others
- I bring my dog to work every day
- Ultimate Frisbee at lunch

Dislikes
- Lots of overtime
- The worry that a random corporate restructuring will suddenly close the studio
- Lots of overtime
- I have to be the guy who keeps everyone on schedule
- Lots of overtime
Bladesong

Postby crazyharry » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:57 am

I work from home.

My co workers are awesome and the dress code is very relaxed.

Life is good.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a hoof stamping on a cupcake -- forever.
http://kefkafloyd.deviantart.com/art/Pi ... -201465409
crazyharry

Postby Arjuna » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:20 am

Hate my job as a bartender in a pub...

If the only guests were the regulars, sure, it would be fun. But all the random IDIOTS that comes in to drink alcohol and behave like kids and just makes a mess of things.

It gives me a headache!!!

Well, my colleagues are nice, so that's a plus...
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Ghastard » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:40 pm

Love my job, for now. I work as a Micro Tech in a medical lab in the states. It's a corelab for a whole health system, so we can be very busy or very slow. The job lets me do directly what I am learning in school, so that helps me to really learn it. I love that fact that I can see the next step in job growth, and will have the opportunity to move up once I graduate.

I hate the fact that I have to work nights now in order to attend school during the day. Work is paying for my classes, but they dont offer night school :(.
Ghastard

Postby duruk » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:56 pm

I love my job.

I work as a stage technician at a brand new concert hall, and I worked as a backline technician all summer.

What I love:
1. Getting to meet a lot of people. And lots of really funny people from all over the world.
2. Getting to see some really good bands.
3. Being constantly surprised about bands I thought would suck, that really don't.
4. No day is the same.

What I hate:
1. All the people. When I get home, I need an hour by myself to "land", so to speak.
2. The yelling. Everytime anything goes wrong, there is yelling. Even over the smallest things.
3. The sudden shift in work hours. ("Oh, I didn't tell you? You're working late tomorrow") Makes it hard to raid.
Duruk, EU-Khadgar - Lvl85 Paladin Tank.
duruk

Previous

Return to General