Remove Advertisements

I (hate / love) my job - Thread

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: I (hate / love) my job - Thread

Postby ryan4nayr » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:03 am

katraya wrote:Working in pediatrics has its [sic] own pitfalls and "landmines" and I often have to steel myself to sit through the screams and pleading of children and young adults as they get their blood drawn.

Come over to pediatric surgery :) Our kids are already asleep (or about to be), less screaming & pleading involved. Though the parents are another story.

I guess I love my job too, though it has downsides like everything else.
ryan4nayr

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:46 am

Cogglamp wrote:Hate:

-no career growth
-stifling environment; policy overrides results
-lack of drive in other colleagues
-zero intellectual stimulation/challenge
-not using my skills/competencies at all

Like:
-decent work life balance
-I'm employed
-decent human beings to be around

Overall:

I'm employed and I have a place to hunker down in while we wait for this down cycle to pass.

This.. almost exactly...
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby benebarba » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:56 am

I'm coming to the end of my first job out of school, but it barely qualifies: Post-doctoral Research Fellow in materials science. Basically a grad student minus classes with better pay. The flexibility of my boss and work (computer simulations) make it awesome. The tedium of spending most of my time writing papers and the relatively low pay is the only downside. But I get a chance to work on stuff that is advancing mankind's knowledge as well as improving our technology (I work with hydrogen storage for vehicle use)... and that is tough to beat.

I'm getting ready to start my first 'real' job in a few weeks, where the excitement lies in doing totally new things. Ask me in a year or three about that one ;)
benebarba

Postby Blackharon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:24 pm

What I love:
I design games. How cool is that! (See my sig for the latest if you're curious)
Great team. You think you have a good team, you've not seen ours! ;)
My bosses pay me to download other games and play them during work hours. Awe-some!

What I hate:
Receiving sales reports. Damn the App Store is a cold cold mistress.
The Cat's out of the bag!
Pickpawcket for iPhone and iPad
http://www.pickpawcket.com
Blackharon

Postby Crimsonheart » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:39 pm

I hate my job,

I work at a hotel front desk but I have a Civil Engineering degree, damn the luck of the economy...
Crimsonheart

Postby halabar » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:56 pm

Just had to listen for an hour to an IT troll rant about how someone once made a mistake 3 months ago, so our project is doomed because someone will repeat that mistake..
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby bldavis » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:01 pm

Crimsonheart wrote:I hate my job,

I work at a hotel front desk but I have a Civil Engineering degree, damn the luck of the economy...

:shock:
are you my twin??

i worked as a front desk clerk while working on my civil engineering degree....

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:07 pm

Here's a question I always have when I see stuff like this: If you hate your job, why not quit?

Grain Of Salt: I ask this from a position where I work in a lucrative profession that has extremely high workforce demand and low supply so feel free to call me out on that.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby bldavis » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:22 pm

well when i was working at the hotel, i hated it but i didnt quit cause where else would i find a job in this economy that would work around my school sched?
(ie make me work all nights/evenings so i can go to school all morning)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Nakama » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:24 pm

Sabindeus wrote:Here's a question I always have when I see stuff like this: If you hate your job, why not quit?

Grain Of Salt: I ask this from a position where I work in a lucrative profession that has extremely high workforce demand and low supply so feel free to call me out on that.

Can't quit, bills will eat me...

In all seriousness, the economy still sucks. My workforce type (network center technician) doesn't have super high demand (my company hasn't hired for the last 10 years for this position) and there's lots of supply (people that have been laid off from similar jobs or from similar companies).

So yes, calling you out on a unique (and very pleasant sounding!) job outlook. :)

--Jed
Nakama

Postby Passionario » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 pm

I like my job, most of the time. It rejuvenates my faith and hope for a better future.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Archeth » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:18 am

Crimsonheart wrote:I hate my job,

:o

It's seriously hard not to get a job as a civil engineer here, we're even importing them from Germany/Austria/wherever because there's not enough of us coming from Swiss universities.
Archeth

Postby Crimsonheart » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:17 am

here as in switzerland? I'd love to know companies to contact, in the USA with a basic halt in the government and construction in general it is near impossible to find placement, even for those with experience. I've applied world wide and have had few interviews at best due to the general economy and lack of experience. Most companies that are overseas for me (USA) that ive seen career postings for require 5+ years experience AND a Professional Engineers licensing, which requires 4 years experience (based on state). I have even been applying to engineering technician positions and inspector positions just to try to get relevant experience.

I work at the hotel because it is close to home (yes...sadly i live at my parents) and during downtime I can job hunt easily or read books (the 5th book of Martin's "A Dance of Dragons" due to be finished in next few days..
Crimsonheart

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:07 am

I'm not surprised that overseas jobs require that much experience/licensing. After all, they'd have to start the process for immigration and it's not only lengthy, but costly.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Jeremoot » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:46 am

Apparently, it's appropriate to sign people up to work your hours without telling them. Then waking them up and telling them they have to work with less than an hours notice.

No. No I can't do that, actually. You're going to have to find somebody else. /click
Jeremoot

PreviousNext

Return to General