Transmogrification and stuff!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Void Storage and Transmogrifier's

Postby Fetzie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:02 pm

Maybe you could "reforge" primary stats with it?
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Worldie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:04 pm

What would be the point of reforging primary stats? Even if you get an Agi item and reforge 40% of it in Str, the item is still going to be significantly worse than items that are even 3-4 tiers behind.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Chicken » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:20 pm

Worldie wrote:
Chicken wrote:- He'll allow you to change the armor type on an item, solving the "spell plate" problem because that means all items with spirit become equally desirable for all hybrids with healing specs. It's also convenient for other classes; most notably the agility mail part where expertise is only useful for one of the two classes using it.

I don't think this would ever happen. It would exagerate too much the homogeneization of gear. If it was possible to change the armor type of items, then why putting the armor type at all?
The latter is, in truth, kind of what I'm hoping will happen at some point.

Then again I'd consider it best to scrap the idea of gear-based progression entirely, making gear something purely cosmetic, and the abilities of your character being simply linked to the things you've accomplished, with talents and even something like reforging shaping what stats would mostly be enhanced by this system. Thus if you've completed all the original heroic 5-mans? Congratulations, you're now as strong as someone in optimally statted item level 346 gear. Completed tier 11 normal? Congratulations on having the stats of someone in item level 359 gear. Etc.

That's even further out of the realm of possibility for exactly the reasons you mentioned though, the loot slot machine is an excellent way of keeping people subscribed after all.
Chicken

Postby Jeremoot » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:57 pm

WoW would not work without slot machines, we can agree on that.

The public forums have been suggesting "fashion" items like other MMOs have for years. Maybe this is Blizzards solution, transmorgifying the stats of your item onto the look of another item. If I can trasmorgify my shield onto the Bulwark of Azzinoth, I will be a happy Paladin.
Jeremoot

Postby Amirya » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:38 pm

I could transmogrify my weapon into a viable TF.

Or, for lulz, level 60 pvp gear.

Looks interesting, though, here's to hoping it's not a waste of time.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Orthien » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:48 pm

As much as I would love to change the look of my gear and the boost it would give to people seeing outdated content I kinda of hope its not this. There would be a lot of people all running the Bulwark of Azzinoth or Pally T2 for example and then all the new gear models will be wasted.
If it is this I of cause have 70% of my new gear set ready to go. Back to BC raids for me.
Orthien

Postby Amirya » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:51 pm

While this is true, it would also possibly save them the headache of the constant complaints. "WHY do I look like a goddamn wrestler with this belt?" "Stupid skirts!" "The colour scheme/armor theme is terrible."

Etc.

(Also, I must be the only paladin who things T2 looks retardedly terrible, only because of the colour scheme. I like the style enough I got the recoloured purple set from BC.)
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:01 pm

To be honest, I think the only time Judgement looks good is when coupled with Lok'amir il Romathis and a libram offhand or Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Cronus » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:54 pm

I hope the Void Storage is a bank that all your toons can access with a chance to upgrade the slot size by buying more with gold. I could then get rid of my banker guild alt.

As for Transmo....I REALLY hope it is some way to change the look of my gear e.g.: color, some sort of tribal art on it, size, etc. I hate going to the mailbox only to run into an exact copy of my self. Oh wait, there goes another pally that looks just like me into the bank.

While they are at it, how about make a really good character creater in the main menue like how Oblivion did. It sucks having us all look the same! I love wow but i think having a robust character creator and gear enhancment tool would make this game so much better.

I would shed a tear if I logged on and walked around Org without seeing a mirror image of myself. I can only hope....
Cronus

Postby halabar » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:02 pm

Cronus wrote:As for Transmo....I REALLY hope it is some way to change the look of my gear e.g.: color, some sort of tribal art on it, size, etc. I hate going to the mailbox only to run into an exact copy of my self. Oh wait, there goes another pally that looks just like me into the bank.

I would shed a tear if I logged on and walked around Org without seeing a mirror image of myself. I can only hope....

This. So much this.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby rodos » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:19 pm

My hopes/predictions:

Void Storage - A bank shared between all toons in a given realm+faction, with a special tab to transfer BoA items across factions and realms.

Blizz have said several times that they want to do cross-realm BoAs, but the mail system can't handle it easily. It's more than just a UI to select a destination server -- I'd say it's the actual inter-realm communication and transaction enforcement that the mail system can't handle.

I'd love void storage to allow transfer of gold and other items between realms, but that would be a huge disruption to server economies.

Transmogrifier
- The much sought-after cosmetic gear editor. If I was creating this feature, I'd make you put both pieces of gear in the machine and the stats would swap. So if you want your shield to look like Bulwark of Azzinoth you have to go get one - you can't just pick it from a model viewer.

The other possibility is the primary stat reforge mentioned above. The trick would be that it mogrifies 100% of the stat. Thus a piece of str+crit+haste plate becomes int+crit+haste. This would reduce the amount of items required in loot tables without getting into aesthetic issues that might arise from converting say cloth to plate. There would still be int+spi, and str+hit/exp pieces (probably all on JP/VP vendor) to add variety and uniqueness to classes. It might mean a severe reduction in incidence of primary stats socket bonuses, however.

Random possibility: Transmogrifier is the source of epic gems. Bring him mats, and maybe some gold, and he transmogrifies your rare gems into epics. Too bad the Alchemists would mass quit if they did that.
rodos

Postby halabar » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:51 pm

Another possibility...

Transmogrifier - In-game race change. (Would be truer to the Calvin and Hobbes version).
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby rodos » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:16 am

halabar wrote:Another possibility...

Transmogrifier - In-game race change. (Would be truer to the Calvin and Hobbes version).

Interesting, but I don't think so. There are a few issues with race change that would probably warrant it happening outside the game (mostly to do with flagging race-only quests). If it's ever added it will also be a paid service, or the whole alliance would go human with every new xpack for the rep grinds and then switch back. Paid services have always happened via the character selection screen, not in game.

Maybe he just turns you into a dinosaur for a while so you can go about terrorizing Stormwind.
rodos

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:25 am

Another issue with the idea of cosmetic changes to gear: Recognisability.

They're comitted to having recognisable silhouettes for races. Another part of that is having classes recognisable by their gear sets. In PvP especially, it's often pretty easy to recognise a character's class from the way they look. Being able to tell the gear level matters, too - there are noticable differences in appearance between players at varying gear levels in both PvP and PvE.

Does Blizzard want people to have the ability to totally hide themselves inside armor that looks nothing like what they're actually wearing?
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sagara » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:48 am

It might not need to be a transormation of the outfit, maybe just a recolor?

But then, why work on a transmi... transmofri... change-stuff NPC and not a "mere" dye crafter?

Hm...
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

PreviousNext

Return to General